Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for new Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am kind of answering this thread oddly, but here goes. My Model S is on order now, so I've been exploring some of these things in depth this last week.

1. Charging: Should I plug in often, or run the battery down some? Is it better for a modern battery to be recharged often? Does Tesla explain all this when you purchase the car? I have about 6 miles to drive to work. Is it a good idea to charge every day, or drive the battery down half way before charging, or it doesn't really matter?

Others have addressed this, but Li-ion batteries don't like to sit at full charge. However the Tesla charger in the car can be set to shut off at any level you want. The recommendation is to set it to 90% and only charge to 100% occasionally and to drive the car as soon as it hits 100%.

Li-ion batteries degrade when the charge is allowed to go to low and when it sits at 100%.

2. Insurance: Good insurance companies for better rates? Things to be aware of?

I'm getting insurance quotes now. So far I've only gotten a quote from Amica and it looks pretty good compared to my current insurance, though I will be adding comprehensive and collision I don't have on my current car.

3. Air suspension vs regular suspension: This is a question I have. Is the air suspension that much better? I'm used to a bumpy Jeep suspension so I assume the regular coils will be an improvement than what I am used to.

We don't know what the suspension options will be on the M3, but assuming they will be the same as the M S/X, I went with the air suspension. Some people have said the standard suspension is more reliable and it may be, though I have air shocks on my 1992 car with auto leveling and I'm on the original shocks.

I went with the air shocks because the Model S is pretty low to the ground (the M3 will probably be too) and I don't want to scrape the bottom on steep driveways. My SO has a Subaru Impreza that rides kind of low and she's always scraping the bottom on steep driveways. The driveway at our doctor's office is so bad I have to get out of the car for her to park without scraping too badly and I'm not that heavy.

4. Sound system: I figure that since I will be driving a vehicle with virtually no noise, I will listen to the radio more often. Can guys with the premium upgrade chime in on if it is an impressive improvement over the regular sound options?

Teslas are quieter than most cars, but you still have road noise. If I want a good high fidelity experience, I'm going to listen to my homes stereo with the tower speakers. Yes the high tech sound system will sound nicer, but IMO it isn't necessary in a car.

5. Service: Nearest Tesla station is over an hour away. I won't need to go probably more than once a year? Do you recommend prepaying for a service plan?

I'm thinking about it. They do give you a price break if you pre-pay. Tesla will build more service centers in the next year. Who knows if there will be one near you, but I'm in the same boat as you with the nearest SC an hour away.

How often you go to the SC depends on whether your car has problems or not. The early Model 3s will have some teething problems. All new cars have them. It will probably be better than the Model S or X, but they will happen.

6. Warranty: I'm buying this Tesla expecting a premium car. What can I expect for warranty? I heard Tesla is very good with customer service, but I hear this from guys who have multiple Tesla vehicles. Of course they will get top notch service. Can I expect this with an M3?

Currently it's a 4 year warranty. I don't know how that will change with the M3, but I expect it will be similar. Tesla will probably be stressed to offer the same level of customer service for the M3, but I expect it will still be better than average.

7. Tesla App: I have a Windows 10 smartphone. Not interested in switching to iOS or Android at this time. I don't expect an app to be made for Windows. Will I be missing some awesome features by not having an app?

Windows is a pretty uncommon OS for cell phones. There are a lot of apps for Android and iOS. I did a search in Apple's store the other day and came up with pages and pages of third party apps. You can do a search and see if there are any Windows apps for Teslas.

In three years Microsoft may have abandoned the phone market. Interestingly I was involved in development on Microsoft's first ventures into the phone market and they abandoned that after a year.

8. Charging Cables: I have a 110 outlet outside my office at work. Anything wrong with charging this way with a regular extension cord? Remember, I only have a short drive to work. At home I have a 220 plug. Is it necessary to purchase a Tesla wall charger, or can I just plug into that?

A 110V outlet will charge very slow. Tesla provides a set of common connectors and cables, but the higher power connection you can get the faster the car will charge.

9. Cold weather package: What is this exactly? Is it necessary for PA winters? I sometimes scrape ice off the INSIDE of my Wrangler windshield, so I'm used to the cold weather with a softop vehicle.

I suggest looking at the videos on YouTube by Bjorn Nyland. He's one of the most prolific video bloggers about Tesla. He had a video about a year back in which he went over all the features that were available when he bought his car and whether he thought they were worthwhile. He got the winter package because he was in Norway, but after a couple of winters he didn't think it was necessary, though if you have back seat passengers a lot, it might be useful. The front seats are heated on all Teslas, but the winter package gives back seat heaters too.

10. Vehicle SIM Card: Would the M3 have a SIM card in it so it is always connected? Who pays for this data? Is it built into the price of the car?

Thanks for any input you may have as I launch into this adventure.

Tesla uses AT&T wireless for their connection. I am not 100% sure it's always free, but I know it's included initially. They do need a way to download updates, so it may always be included.

Here's my answers to your questions. Some of this is fact and some is opinion!

1. Plug in every night and set it to somewhere between 60% and 90% charge. It's better for the battery to be charged regularly. To answer someone else's question, yes you set what the max charge should be and just plug it in. If you have time-of-use electric rates you can also set what time it should start charging. For example, our rates go down after 9pm, so our cars charge after that.

2. Insurance rates vary greatly not just by company, but also by person. My advice would just be to shop around.

3. We have air suspension. The main advantage seems to be that you can raise it at locations that have low clearance--such as a steep driveway or a big speed bump. The car remembers that location via GPS and automatically raises the suspension as you approach that location. The negative would be that it will be expensive to repair as the car gets older.

4. That depends on the M3. On the S the sound upgrade was pretty good, but not amazing. The X sound upgrade is really great. But either way, the base sound is just fine unless you are a serious audiophile.

5. For the S and X, the annual service is optional, and is not necessary to maintain the warranty. You could easily save money by only doing the annual service every other year and not bother pre-paying. All of this may be different on the Model 3.

6. As far as I know, every Tesla owner (so far) has received the same warranty service. The battery and drivetrain get 8 year, unlimited mile warranties and everything else gets 4 years. I would expect the Model 3 to be the same or similar. The real question is, will Tesla be able to ramp up their service center capacity at the same rate that they can ramp up production? The good news is that every year their warranty costs go down (that means that their cars are having fewer issues).

7. For the S and X there are third-party apps for the windows phone. They sometimes lag behind in features, but the basics are there.

8. With such a short drive to work I wouldn't bother plugging in there on a 110v outlet. Just charge at home using your 220 outlet with an adapter. What is it exactly that you have? The standard outlet for a Tesla in the U.S. is typically the NEMA 14-50 (240v, 50amp) and the car charges at 40 amps. The advantages of installing a wall charger at home is that it can give you higher charge rates (if you purchased that option in the car itself), and it also gives you a permanent cable in your garage. With just an outlet you will use your mobile charge cable that you may want to bring with you occasionally for trips.

9. The cold weather package is seat warmers for the back seats, a steering wheel warmer, washer nozzle heaters, and windshield wiper defrosters. For the Model 3, we'll just have to wait and see what comes with the car and what is an option.

10. Currently, Tesla cars use AT&T for connectivity and it's paid for by Tesla. I think the logic behind Tesla paying for the service is that the mapping system on the touchscreen is based on google maps and requires an internet connection, and the autopilot software is constantly sending data to the cloud to improve the system for everyone. I would imagine that Tesla will continue to pay for this service even for the Model 3 because of the autopilot data. Several notes about the data connectivity: 1. The car can't be used as a hotspot. 2. You can't stream video to the built in web browser, 3. The navigation system uses a combination of on-board navigation and internet based traffic data--so you can still get directions even without a signal from AT&T. 4. The audio system offers internet radio (Slacker and Tunein) for the base audio system, which requires an internet connection. Of course, all of this could change for the Model 3.

from a charging perspective, I still have my leaf and heading towards 30k miles in two years and still haven't lost any battery bars.
I have a 55 mile round trip commute and auto charge to 100% every day - however, I have the charge timer set to complete two hours before I'm due to leave for work. So the battery only sits for a few hours at 100%.
The leaf has really crappy active battery maintenance, with no real heat/cooling capability so is about as bad as it gets.
I'm hoping/assuming/begging that the Model 3 will have Tesla style battery systems.
A long way of saying - don't leave it sat for extended periods at 100% and don't worry about it :)

I'll take a few of your questions:

4. Sound system: I figure that since I will be driving a vehicle with virtually no noise, I will listen to the radio more often. Can guys with the premium upgrade chime in on if it is an impressive improvement over the regular sound options?

I'm glad to have extra speakers and a subwoofer to play streamed audio and music via bluetooth, but to be honest the sound is tinnier than I'd like. For radio and talk shows, I notice no difference.​

7. Tesla App: I have a Windows 10 smartphone. Not interested in switching to iOS or Android at this time. I don't expect an app to be made for Windows. Will I be missing some awesome features by not having an app?

Good news! Someone appears to have written an unofficial Tesla app for Windows 10:
Tesla Connect – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

The official Tesla app enables features such as remotely locating the car, preconditioning the vehicle, locking and unlocking the car, and remote start (e.g. without the keyfob). To my knowledge, however, the official app is also the only way to synchronize your phone calendar with the car's calendar.​

8. Charging Cables: I have a 110 outlet outside my office at work. Anything wrong with charging this way with a regular extension cord? Remember, I only have a short drive to work. At home I have a 220 plug. Is it necessary to purchase a Tesla wall charger, or can I just plug into that?

I won't tackle whether that regular extension cord can withstand the outdoor elements in Pennsylvania...but how short *is* your commute?

The Model S comes with a Mobile Connector and adapters for a 110 volt outlet and a 240 volt outlet. At 110v, you should expect no more than 3 miles per hour of charge. A 240v outlet delivers closer to 29 miles per hour of charge. If your commute is short, you may not need to charge at work.

As for a Wall Charger, you probably don't need one. I had a NEMA 14-50 240v outlet installed at home. However, the electrical code in my jurisdiction required this to be placed on a circuit separate from the rest of the house so you might check into local requirements.​

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
On the topic of air suspension. I've never sat inside a Model S, so all I have to go by is what's written in these forums. The people who get the air suspension, really like the air suspension. The people who have the coils, really like the coils. Both camps seem happy with their choice.

The coils sit slightly higher than the "normal" setting of the air suspension. The only real advantage I've read about the air suspension is you can raise the car very high if you have a steep driveway, and want to avoid scraping the front of your car. However, the Model 3 is a smaller car, so I don't know if that will be as necessary.

Wow. Typing is harder when you're slightly drunk.

As far as the upgraded sound system goes, in the S and the X, you have to upgrade to get XM/Sirius satellite radio capability. So it's not just about the extra speakers.

I am a huge XM radio junkie, so I will be paying the price if it stays that way in the 3. I just have to hope it's priced a bit more reasonably.

Here's what we do:

1) Charging-- plug it in every night using 14-30 (17 miles/hour). Our commute is approx 20-30 miles round trip. 90% charge target. Never had to charge around town during day trips etc. Given base range and your 6 mile commute, unlikely you will need to plug in at work. Don't bother. Better off at home. Someone may walk off with your heavy duty cord.

2) Insurance-- We use Geico. Heard mixed comments here about them. Shop around. Just be prepared to pay more. Wife got sticker shock from our insurance price. I suspect you will too especially vs. a Jeep

3) Suspension-- Coils. We like them. We did get a loaner with air and noticed the ride was more compliant. My understanding is that the coils should last forever and air typically costs more as the car ages. Still not sure what we'll do with next Tesla.

4) Sound-- Regular sound, can't offer advice regarding premium sound.

5) Service-- We did not prepay. No problems at all from our service center, no charges at all at this point. Still got loaners, etc... We plan to do standard annual services as recommended.

6) Warranty-- We plan to get extended as we intend to keep the car for a long time.

7) Apps-- Can't comment on W10 apps, we use IOS.

8) Cables-- Not sure which plug you have with 220. Check the forums with style of plug diagrams and UMC adapters. You're rate of charge will vary. We did buy two UMC cables. One to leave plugged in at home, and one to leave in the car. This actually proved handy when we were bouncing between two houses for a while.

If you need other adapters try to get Tesla UMC adapters. Tesla UMC adapters are particularly good because they will automatically change the amps your car draws when you plug in. If you use other vendors, then you will have to remember to manually dial down your amp limit before you start charging or else you can trip your breaker or worse. This is why I hope Tesla will begin to reissue some of the discontinued adapters.

9) Can't comment on cold weather pkg.

10) Suspect Tesla will leave things status quo regarding data, as they benefit tremendously from the data we provide them from driving, and it keeps them more competitive by providing OTAs.

Have fun!

As far as the upgraded sound system goes, in the S and the X, you have to upgrade to get XM/Sirius satellite radio capability. So it's not just about the extra speakers.

I am a huge XM radio junkie, so I will be paying the price if it stays that way in the 3. I just have to hope it's priced a bit more reasonably.

I also am an XM person - I have it in my ICE (that the model 3 is replacing) but with slacker and now supposedly Spotify coming, I don't miss it. I only listen to music stations on my XM, however.

I have XM in my current car, which the Tesla Model 3 will be replacing. I plan to ditch it when I get my Tesla (even though I pay ~$70/yr for it). I am still on the fence about whether to get the upgraded sound system though. I love clear loud music, and I mostly listen to EDM which covers a wide range of the audible frequency spectrum. I also recently downloaded Slacker on my iPhone and have been building playlists and training it what I like so that way when I stream it in the Model 3, my account has already accumulated hundreds of hours of play time so it know what I like.

I also am an XM person - I have it in my ICE (that the model 3 is replacing) but with slacker and now supposedly Spotify coming, I don't miss it. I only listen to music stations on my XM, however.

Yeah, I don't listen to the music stations on XM anymore, I am all about the talk stations. Those I have not found a good alternative for on any streaming service. Many of the talk hosts/shows are exclusive to XM.

Yeah, I don't listen to the music stations on XM anymore, I am all about the talk stations. Those I have not found a good alternative for on any streaming service. Many of the talk hosts/shows are exclusive to XM.

I have XM in my current car too. I'm a fan of the comedy channels on long trips. Other than that, mainly music, which I can replace with streaming in the Model 3.

The chart linked above is more comprehensive and accurate. But my rule of thumb is that with today's low gas prices, the electricity cost of the model S is about 1/3 of the gas price of a ICE car.

Depends on the car. Compared to a highly efficient car like a Prius, it's about 40% cheaper to drive. Compared to a standard full ICE car that gets 30 - 40mpg, the savings is even greater.

A couple of responders on this thread have cited a thumb rule of "3-3.5 KWh per mile" for calculating range. Actually, they have it upside down. It should be about 3 miles per KWh.

Whoops...that was a bit of a typo. Yes, I meant miles per Kwh. If it was 3.5 kwh per mile, that would be horrible range. :)

8) Cables-- Not sure which plug you have with 220. Check the forums with style of plug diagrams and UMC adapters. You're rate of charge will vary. We did buy two UMC cables. One to leave plugged in at home, and one to leave in the car. This actually proved handy when we were bouncing between two houses for a while.
Thank you! There were others saying that an advantage of the wall charger is that you can leave your cable in the car, which left me wondering why you couldn't just buy two cables and skip the wall charger?? Seems like a much cheaper option if you don't need the faster charge rate offered by the wall charger.

Thank you! There were others saying that an advantage of the wall charger is that you can leave your cable in the car, which left me wondering why you couldn't just buy two cables and skip the wall charger?? Seems like a much cheaper option if you don't need the faster charge rate offered by the wall charger.

If you buy the cable kit from Tesla $550, it's the same amount of money as the wall charger with the 24 ft cable.

One cable kit comes with the car

Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and SΞXY P100D