Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for new Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel to Asia, often for a month or more. What will be the recommended procedure for letting my M3 sit for that period of time in temperate southern California? Is their an equivalent trickle charge solution for the vehicle or?
For the Model S, it is best to just leave it plugged in. It would also be fine left unplugged for that length of time as long as there is enough charge in the battery to allow for the vampire drain of 10-20 miles per day.

Here is the primer on Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors
The answer is out there ... if you search :cool:

upload_2016-5-11_21-7-33.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-8-57.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-9-42.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-10-28.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-11-25.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-13-36.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-14-19.png

upload_2016-5-11_21-15-8.png

Last edited:
I travel to Asia, often for a month or more. What will be the recommended procedure for letting my M3 sit for that period of time in temperate southern California? Is their an equivalent trickle charge solution for the vehicle or?
Just plug it in, set the slider to 50% or 60% and that's it. There's no need to do anything else.

I cannot park in a garage at home with my current situation. If I am parked outside during the winter day and night without plugging in, will keeping the battery back warm cause excessive battery drain that could shorten the lifespan of the battery? If the snow is that deep that I am forced to use my Jeep for a few days, I could easily run a heavy duty 110 cord to the car to provide enough power to keep the battery management system happy. I just want to make sure that if I am unable to plug the car into an adequate charger while it is parked outside in the snow, it won't harm it in any way

Ideally use the HD 110 cord just because a plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla, but for a few days it won't matter even in cold weather. Note that the manual indicates that you don't allow it to sit in below -32 temperatures for over 24 hours. I doubt this is a problem where you live.

Local owners have asked about this statement from local Tesla store, apparently that means only if the car is unplugged. If it's plugged in, there should be no issues.
I'd be happier if that was stated in the manual (or at least a post by Elon) because Stores and Service Centres have been known to give conflicting information depending upon which Store or Service Centre is contacted.

I'd be happier if that was stated in the manual (or at least a post by Elon) because Stores and Service Centres have been known to give conflicting information depending upon which Store or Service Centre is contacted.

No arguments here, that'd be more reasonable in any case and I hope they do that change with regards to model 3 manual. But in any case, the BMS on Tesla's should keep the batteries in good shape even in cold, as long as there is power :)

All good questions. The "UMC" (Universal Mobile Connector) is a portable EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). It serves to connect the car to an AC power source. Tesla also sells the HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) that would be permanently mounted on the wall of a garage (or hotel or other place to charge). The UMC comes with a 14-50 plug but it can be used with adapters to fit other outlet and circuit types. The Model 3 will (likely) come with a UMC and a NEMA 5-15 adapter for standard 120 V outlets. So, yes you can use a 120 V outlet but it is very, very slow, about 3 to 4 miles of range per hour of charge rate. By contrast, a UMC on a 240 volt 14-50 outlet charging at 40 amps would charge at about 32 miles per hour. (And a Tesla Supercharger Station can charge as fast as 300+ miles per hour, depending on the battery size and how empty it is, but the charge rate tapers as the battery fills.)

Any EVSE acts as a safety device that doesn't allow current to flow to the car's on-board charger unless a "handshake" signal is passed between the device and the car. So, it is more than just a long extension cord.

All of the Tesla charging devices — UMC, HPWC, and Superchargers — use a special Tesla plug to fit to the car. To use a standard EV charge station J1772 plug, Tesla supplies an adapter that fits between that plug and the car. So, Teslas can use most Level 2 public charge stations but other EVs can't usually use Tesla UMC, HPWC or Superchargers. Teslas can also use Chadema DCFC "quick charge" stations with an adapter ($450).

As for what the outlet and UMC looks like, I have these pictures:

24976443252_f8f44f50ed.jpg

^ This is a 240 volt, 50 amp, 14-50 outlet. I have a meter on it, but that isn't really necessary. The UMC plugs directly into that outlet and can charge at up to 40 amps.

26377718142_174b539a11_z.jpg

^ My car with UMC cable plugged-in. Note that the UMC device itself is plugged-in to the wall outlet. I could park in the other direction with the car's charge port near the wall outlet but I prefer to run the cable along the ceiling to keep it off the floor and out of the way. Just a personal preference. Most people don't do it this way and just put the cable on the floor and coil it up when not in use.

Excellent information. I see now that the UMC not only acts as an adapter, but provides an extra layer of security and protection to regulate what's coming from the wall to the car. Makes complete sense!

You don't use an extension cord with the Tesla according to the manual. In practice, it's possible to use an extension cord (it must be connected to the UMC) if it's heavy duty. If the Tesla detects that it's connected by a light duty extension cord, it will stop charging. A heavy duty extension cord will just look like a wall outlet.

You plug the UMC into the wall. It's the basic charging cable that comes with the car. Useful for home charging, RV park charging, and anyplace where you are plugging into an outlet. Two adapters come with the UMC 5-15R and 14-50R. Other adapters can be purchased separately. Also included with the car is a J1772 adapter. You don't use this with the UMC. In addition, there is a CHAdeMO adapter that can be purchased. Supercharger and HPWC (high power wall charger) do not require any adapters, you just plug in.

I happen to work at a power distribution molding company that specializes in making heavy duty extension cords for the Navy. We're talking anywhere from 15A to 110A or greater, so I know a thing or two about heavy duty extension cords! ;)

Before I started working there, they were actually working with Tesla on EV charging cables. Now that I see these pictures, I think I actually have an old UMC lying around! Was this from the Roadster? Model S UMCs look way more snazzy and futuristic.

p259R7b.jpg

So, let's say I park on the street or need to charge farther away from an outlet than the UMC allows. What are my options?

From the looks of it, it appears you need an extension cord capable of handling the current which is then plugged into your wall outlet. Then you run the extension cord to your car, plug in the UMC to the extension cord (adapter if necessary), then finally plug the other end of the UMC into your car?

It looks like the car-end of the UMC is the plug designed for the car, so I'm guessing there's no way to plug in the UMC first, then run an extension cord? This would not make sense too, since the UMC can no longer regulate the electricity entering the car.

My concern is that if I am parking on the street, or at least not in a locked garage or otherwise private space, there is a risk that somebody could walk away with my UMC. Does it lock in the car? I know the superchargers do. Not sure how effective that would be and if somebody might end up damaging my car trying to get it out. Also, the UMC is just lying around, which could be prone to damage like people walking on it, weather, etc. Even if nothing happens, just the thought of it happening could be very stressful since it'll be exposed for half the day.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be living happily with a garage by the time my 3 arrives, but I'm just trying to prepare for the worst case scenario. Although if worse comes to worst, I'm sure I could convince my employer to pop in a charging station!

The point of this post is to gain insight from veteran Tesla owners and pass it onto those who are getting into the EV scene.

I am 22 years old and placed a reservation for an M3 on May 1st. In high school we watched Who Killed the Electric Car, and later, Revenge of the Electric Car. We built an electric bike in our physics class and visited Brandon Hollinger who converts vehicle to electric. My first ride in an EV was in his converted Miata. As part of the physics class, I also helped install a solar energy system on our school roof. I drive a Jeep Wrangler as my daily driver. While I believe in being a good steward to the planet and respecting nature, I wouldn't consider myself a "save the planet" type of person. I enjoy technology, and I believe that is part of what intrigued me about electric vehicles. What sold me on a Tesla was being able to drive one. Someone offered to let me drive his Roadster to an EV event, and I quickly jumped on the opportunity. He also let me drive his Roadster to the same event the following year, and I also was given a ride in his Model S. The Tesla Grin won me over. I am a Jeep guy, it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. However, I knew right then that one day I would own a Tesla, and now that the M3 is coming out I am able to afford one.

I am reading through this forum and there is so much information. What are some really important things that new owners should know? Features to order, habits to form, proper etiquette? I'll throw out some examples, and please don't limit it to these, throw in your opinions about what I should be aware of! These are just some questions off the top of my head.

1. Charging: Should I plug in often, or run the battery down some? Is it better for a modern battery to be recharged often? Does Tesla explain all this when you purchase the car? I have about 6 miles to drive to work. Is it a good idea to charge every day, or drive the battery down half way before charging, or it doesn't really matter?
2. Insurance: Good insurance companies for better rates? Things to be aware of?
3. Air suspension vs regular suspension: This is a question I have. Is the air suspension that much better? I'm used to a bumpy Jeep suspension so I assume the regular coils will be an improvement than what I am used to.
4. Sound system: I figure that since I will be driving a vehicle with virtually no noise, I will listen to the radio more often. Can guys with the premium upgrade chime in on if it is an impressive improvement over the regular sound options?
5. Service: Nearest Tesla station is over an hour away. I won't need to go probably more than once a year? Do you recommend prepaying for a service plan?
6. Warranty: I'm buying this Tesla expecting a premium car. What can I expect for warranty? I heard Tesla is very good with customer service, but I hear this from guys who have multiple Tesla vehicles. Of course they will get top notch service. Can I expect this with an M3?
7. Tesla App: I have a Windows 10 smartphone. Not interested in switching to iOS or Android at this time. I don't expect an app to be made for Windows. Will I be missing some awesome features by not having an app?
8. Charging Cables: I have a 110 outlet outside my office at work. Anything wrong with charging this way with a regular extension cord? Remember, I only have a short drive to work. At home I have a 220 plug. Is it necessary to purchase a Tesla wall charger, or can I just plug into that?
9. Cold weather package: What is this exactly? Is it necessary for PA winters? I sometimes scrape ice off the INSIDE of my Wrangler windshield, so I'm used to the cold weather with a softop vehicle.
10. Vehicle SIM Card: Would the M3 have a SIM card in it so it is always connected? Who pays for this data? Is it built into the price of the car?

Thanks for any input you may have as I launch into this adventure.
The point of this post is to gain insight from veteran Tesla owners and pass it onto those who are getting into the EV scene.

I am 22 years old and placed a reservation for an M3 on May 1st. In high school we watched Who Killed the Electric Car, and later, Revenge of the Electric Car. We built an electric bike in our physics class and visited Brandon Hollinger who converts vehicle to electric. My first ride in an EV was in his converted Miata. As part of the physics class, I also helped install a solar energy system on our school roof. I drive a Jeep Wrangler as my daily driver. While I believe in being a good steward to the planet and respecting nature, I wouldn't consider myself a "save the planet" type of person. I enjoy technology, and I believe that is part of what intrigued me about electric vehicles. What sold me on a Tesla was being able to drive one. Someone offered to let me drive his Roadster to an EV event, and I quickly jumped on the opportunity. He also let me drive his Roadster to the same event the following year, and I also was given a ride in his Model S. The Tesla Grin won me over. I am a Jeep guy, it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. However, I knew right then that one day I would own a Tesla, and now that the M3 is coming out I am able to afford one.

I am reading through this forum and there is so much information. What are some really important things that new owners should know? Features to order, habits to form, proper etiquette? I'll throw out some examples, and please don't limit it to these, throw in your opinions about what I should be aware of! These are just some questions off the top of my head.

1. Charging: Should I plug in often, or run the battery down some? Is it better for a modern battery to be recharged often? Does Tesla explain all this when you purchase the car? I have about 6 miles to drive to work. Is it a good idea to charge every day, or drive the battery down half way before charging, or it doesn't really matter?
2. Insurance: Good insurance companies for better rates? Things to be aware of?
3. Air suspension vs regular suspension: This is a question I have. Is the air suspension that much better? I'm used to a bumpy Jeep suspension so I assume the regular coils will be an improvement than what I am used to.
4. Sound system: I figure that since I will be driving a vehicle with virtually no noise, I will listen to the radio more often. Can guys with the premium upgrade chime in on if it is an impressive improvement over the regular sound options?
5. Service: Nearest Tesla station is over an hour away. I won't need to go probably more than once a year? Do you recommend prepaying for a service plan?
6. Warranty: I'm buying this Tesla expecting a premium car. What can I expect for warranty? I heard Tesla is very good with customer service, but I hear this from guys who have multiple Tesla vehicles. Of course they will get top notch service. Can I expect this with an M3?
7. Tesla App: I have a Windows 10 smartphone. Not interested in switching to iOS or Android at this time. I don't expect an app to be made for Windows. Will I be missing some awesome features by not having an app?
8. Charging Cables: I have a 110 outlet outside my office at work. Anything wrong with charging this way with a regular extension cord? Remember, I only have a short drive to work. At home I have a 220 plug. Is it necessary to purchase a Tesla wall charger, or can I just plug into that?
9. Cold weather package: What is this exactly? Is it necessary for PA winters? I sometimes scrape ice off the INSIDE of my Wrangler windshield, so I'm used to the cold weather with a softop vehicle.
10. Vehicle SIM Card: Would the M3 have a SIM card in it so it is always connected? Who pays for this data? Is it built into the price of the car?

Thanks for any input you may have as I launch into this adventure.

After 3 years of driving my Model S, my first EV, I learn a few things. I'm also interested to get the Model 3..

1. I plug in often but maintain the charge to 60-70% range. I charge it at night during the off peak hours using my 14-50 (240v) in my garage. To be honest, I'm a low mileage driver so my 115v outlet is just fine. To maintain your EV to the maximum range, do 2 things: 1. lower your battery to 30-40 miles frequently and go back to the 60-70% range on the daily basis; 2. charge your battery to the max. at times even though you're not traveling.
2. I use Metlife, very good rate. Since most insurance companies learned to rate EVs for the past few years and there is no premium add on anymore.
3. I have the air suspension but if I do it again, I would eliminate that option since I don't have steep driveway and all. There is very little difference riding wise, with and without the air suspension option. I doubt the Model 3 will have this option.
4. I do have the premium sound system which is important to me. The premium sound system after I purchased my MS improves and got even better (per my loaner car). If you enjoy good sound, I strongly suggest you get that.
5. I purchased the 4-year service plan which costs a little less. Tesla recommends service every 12K miles. My MS is very reliable and have little issues even I have the early adopter car. There are not a lot to fix other than tires and brakes. Tesla service is second to none and if I purchase the M3, I will not buy the service plan. I even 50% less for my annual car inspection, not a lot to inspect, my mechanic said.
6. Tesla Service owned by Tesla and not a third party outfit so I doubt they service the M3 customers any different than the MS customers. Based on my 3 years with Tesla services, I have high confidence on their service.
7. There are not a lot of useful apps at this time even with my iOS on my MS.
8. Therefore are adapters come with the MS for 115v, 220v and of course the supercharger station will automatically plug into the MS. I do have the Camco 50amp extension cord (30') which I keep in my MS for travel purpose. You do not want to use the standard extension cord..
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-E...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage an extension cord
9. Cold weather package includes rear heated seats and heated steering wheel. I live in NC so there is no need.
10. I'm not sure I answer your question here. Tesla uses slacker internet radio and rumor to switch to AT&T. My MS has USB port which I put "my music" into. There is no charge to use the slacker radio (for now anyway) although my early MS only has 3G vs the latest has 4G LTE. No SIM on my MS and not sure why we need it?

Have fun with your future M3

So, let's say I park on the street or need to charge farther away from an outlet than the UMC allows. What are my options?

Here is one solution.
Some people put a lock box with the UMC and the GFI section in it so that only the cable sticks out. (or the extension cord wall plug end)
The UMC locks just as the Supercharger does.

For charging in public you don't usually need this cord as car chargers have their own cords already. You'll get a J1772 adapter which is the most common charging standard. Basically you plug the adapter onto the end of the public charging cable and then put that into the car. Tesla also sells a CHAdeMO adapter which is a level 3, DC charging standard that charges much faster than your standard public chargers. Tesla superchargers have their own cord and plug directly into the car.

I feel bad even asking this, but is there anything securing the adapter to the car or charger that would prevent someone from walking up to your car, grabbing the adapter, and walking away with it? At $450 for a CHAdeMO adapter, I'd actually have concerns about that...

Edited to add: Nevermind... just saw the comment above about the charger locking to the car, leading me to believe an adapter would do the same thing. Reading comprehension for the win. :rolleyes: