Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for parking in a tight parkade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a building with long complex parkade with lots of concrete pillars throughout it. Almost every car in the building has sideswiped pillars/walls at least once

My wife is notorious for crashing and sideswiping cars on pillars when she turns. Both sides of our current ICE car have been swiped several times.

Is the model 3 idiot proof for parkade parking?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
add to the above - We have no autopilot/park features. I am not even sure autopilot would work in the parkade as it is very complex with lots of blind corners. Lots of large mirrors to guide driving and to meet oncoming vehicles..

Last edited:
If you are backing in there are very nice parallel guide lines which show up on the screen when car is placed in reverse. If pulling in there are distance sensors located near the front and rear which graphically show up on screen indicating how far or near vehicle is to objects or obstructions. Should help the driver quite alot.

Ha ha - good for her. Parkade design in Vancouver is awful - it always looks like it’s an afterthought, never part of the original plans
I am thinking of taping 4 litre milk jugs to the side of the pillar next to our car to provide a cushion/buffer.

our parkade was from the 80s before any standards. it is among the worst in the region. we are 5 stories up a narrow driveaisle. a few of the corners have eroded close to an inch from all the hits over the year. 80% of the parkade (several hundred spaces) sits empty as the neighbourhood is so overparked.

Last edited:
If you are backing in there are very nice parallel guide lines which show up on the screen when car is placed in reverse. If pulling in there are distance sensors located near the front and rear which graphically show up on screen indicating how far or near vehicle is to objects or obstructions. Should help the driver quite alot.
unable to back in as we are at the end of an aisle. any sensors on the side of the car? i expect my wife to swipe off the side mirror at some point.

I park in between 2 concrete pillars with about 3” clearance on each side with mirrors folded out. Unfortunately i have scraped both sides of my car on days that I was too tired or when I had neck pain and couldn’t turn my head too much. Both scrapes were above tires around wheel well. Quote to repaint was $1700 for each side. I just did touch up instead. I get my Y in a few months and there is no way I won’t scratch that as well. i was thinking of getting some foam pipe insulation (Home Depot) and splitting it open and fixing it on to the concrete pillar corners. But strata is quite strict and would probably remove it or fine me.

I park in between 2 concrete pillars with about 3” clearance on each side with mirrors folded out. Unfortunately i have scraped both sides of my car on days that I was too tired or when I had neck pain and couldn’t turn my head too much. Both scrapes were above tires around wheel well. Quote to repaint was $1700 for each side. I just did touch up instead. I get my Y in a few months and there is no way I won’t scratch that as well. i was thinking of getting some foam pipe insulation (Home Depot) and splitting it open and fixing it on to the concrete pillar corners. But strata is quite strict and would probably remove it or fine me.
I wasn’t aware my wife had an account on here;)

• Funny
Reactions: richrootes
I'd put on some wheel well protection, or fender flare trim. It may be ugly, but better to shape that, than your car.

Did a quick search at Amazon, and here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/ALAVENTE-Uni...737&sprefix=wheel+well+protect,aps,97&sr=8-23

Not highly rated, but you can search around for a better version.

I'd put on some wheel well protection, or fender flare trim. It may be ugly, but better to shape that, than your car.

Did a quick search at Amazon, and here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/ALAVENTE-Universal-Extension-Moulding-Protector/dp/B07RLQXTPB/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=wheel+well+protector&qid=1643488737&sprefix=wheel+well+protect,aps,97&sr=8-23

Not highly rated, but you can search around for a better version.
Thanks. I was hoping Tesla would come out with some thick paint protection film for that area above the tires. I‘ve already scuffed up all 4 rims over the past 2.5 years. Its been the widest car I’ve own and for some reason I just can’t used to judging the distance. I need the cargo space of the Y but I am going to have to drive much slower and more careful when I get it.

Wife said she ignored the beeps because it usually beeps once when going into our garage. $4500.
20220112_143443.jpg