Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for Parking in REALLY Hot Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont get the concern. Are you worried about the fake leather melting? You do realize that cars parked outside in the sun in warm temps reach 140+ temperatures, and if it's really hot, like 115, the interior temp can get up to 170. This isn't really an issue for ICE cars, so why is it an issue for a Tesla?

Reactions: gene
I am in vegas and leaving both front windows down when parked in my garage.

Edit: I also insulated my garage door so in the summer the temp in the garage is low 80's

Most garage doors are aluminum and are big radiators

Last edited:
Reactions: 1speed
Honestly the car is perfectly fine in the heat.

I park out of the sun and actually keep cabin overheat protection OFF because when it's really roasting here it can chew through a big chunk of the battery over the course of a normal workday (like nearly 10% over 8-9 hours). I don't feel the need to waste that much energy and cycle the AC compressor that much, especially given the ~$3500+ out of pocket compressor replacement cost quoted by others here. I have nothing small and alive in the house that might accidentally cook if I leave it in the car.

I keep it on to protect the MCU. I doubt 140 degrees in a car can be healthy for all the electronics in the car over an extended period of time. 10% loss over 9 hours is nbd for me. I live in Louisiana and park in the sun so I experience similar power drainage.

Agree insulating your garage doors can help. If you don't have insulated garage doors you can get a cheap kit at your local hardware store. I have used this on a relative's house, and it works pretty well for the price. I believe it may be cheaper in-store.
Owens Corning Garage Door Insulation Kit (8-Panels)-GD01 - The Home Depot
https://www.amazon.com/Owens-Cornin...193877&sr=8-4&keywords=garage+door+insulation

I live in hot as hell Alabama, and park i the sun during the day. I do leave the overheat protection on at all times. I do use a sunshade for the front windshield most of the time, and just got my windows tinted. I may get the roof shade as well.

My garage stays cool though since it's a basement home and does have insulated doors so that is a non-issue for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brettski
I dont get the concern. Are you worried about the fake leather melting? You do realize that cars parked outside in the sun in warm temps reach 140+ temperatures, and if it's really hot, like 115, the interior temp can get up to 170. This isn't really an issue for ICE cars, so why is it an issue for a Tesla?

It’s an issue for Tesla because the Tesla has two systems designed to run and cool things in the car automatically. It cools the batteries and the cabin. ICE cars don’t have this. When these systems run, they return heat to the environment. In the case of the hot garage, it’s only going to get hotter as these systems cool their respective parts of the car and the car’s cooling systems return that heat to the environment.

It’s certainly not the leather, or the fact that the car gets hot in the sun all day. The original post of mine was about temps in an enclosed space and the effects window up or down might have on the systems running all night. If you leave the windows down and cabin overheat protection kicks on...it’s gonna run all night, and that heat has nowhere to go. You’re just wasting energy then too.

Lastly, 12V batteries live about 2-3 years in all our cars living in Vegas the past 8 years. It’s that way for everyone here. I’m glad Tesla has a battery thermal management system for the packs...it’s what allowing Tesla owners the ability to drive their cars well over 200,000 mi.

Honestly the car is perfectly fine in the heat.

I park out of the sun and actually keep cabin overheat protection OFF because when it's really roasting here it can chew through a big chunk of the battery over the course of a normal workday (like nearly 10% over 8-9 hours). I don't feel the need to waste that much energy and cycle the AC compressor that much, especially given the ~$3500+ out of pocket compressor replacement cost quoted by others here. I have nothing small and alive in the house that might accidentally cook if I leave it in the car.

I went on Amazon and bought a mini-split AC unit for $600, precharged with coolant, and installed it with no knowledge of these things in an afternoon. It’s 240 so is powered right off my Tesla charger circuit. Bought garage door insulation from Amazon for $50. Now I keep my garage at 80 F all summer and my electric bill only went up abut 15/month

Reactions: David99
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought EVSE circuits had to be dedicated, not shared with other loads. (Or at least L2 ones.)
I should have clarified. My garage has a 100amp sub panel and my Tesla charger only has an 50 amp breaker. I put the AC on a 15 amp (barely uses any power) and the outlets on a 20 amp and lights on a 10 amp

When I said the same line I meant the main 240v 100amp line fto the sub panel.

Reactions: David99 and MP3Mike
It’s been over 104 here in Vegas and forecast to be hotter this week.

My garage has easily been hotter this past week and I’ve noticed that the climate control fans have been running in the car regardless of window position while plugged in for the night.

Looks like those of us who see 100+ at night regularly may want to consider disabling cabin OH protection at night...lest your car be heating the sealed garage all night.

If I lived in Vegas I would put an AC in the garage. Not arguing it is necessary, but just what I would do.

I would use an external thermostat and keep the garage at 90f when the car was present.

A swamp cooler could be great depending on water cost.

I live in Vegas. My garage faces north, and the other exterior wall faces east, but is shadowed pretty good by the next door house. The interior of my car rarely gets above 95 when left in the garage for extended periods of time. I've done nothing special (no AC in the garage) and I haven't had any issues w/ the car or overall garage temps.

Reactions: Buster1