Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for taking delivery of inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[1] Let's use the 90k number...

New configuration @ TeslaMotors
$90,320 | 85D, SC, Tech Package with Autopilot

Inventory 2015 with 500 miles, discount $4k
$91,070 | 85D, SC, Tech Package with Autopilot, AirSusp, UHF Sound

Inventory Dec 2014 with 3000 miles, discount $12k
$90,170 | P85D, SC, Tech Package with Autopilot, AirSusp, Red Calipers

Inventory Nov 2014 with 3000 miles, discount $13k
$89,920 | P85D, SC, Tech Package with Autopilot, AirSusp, Red Calipers, Subzero

If you find a color you like and the "shape" of the vehicle is up to snuff, an inventory vehicle immediately can be pretty compelling vs. full retail custom in a X months.

[2] Note that Tesla inventory vehicles can be either new (service loaner, showroom/demo, marketing) or used (trade-in with previous titled owner). For WA state, the former qualifies for "no sales tax". Make sure you carefully check the FL waive rules, if it comes to pass.
I spent 3 weeks going over inventory cars and never came saw any P85d's at those price points.
One of the P85ds I looked at had 1400 miles, 2014 Sticker 133,470, price with discount 122,068... of the 10+ cars I went over all a similar cost.. some came down to 118K.. I never came across a low optioned P85D
You make a good point. I wasn't looking at "low optioned" vehicles to check availability.

I was looking for inventory P85D vehicles with front and rear NG seats the week before I posted.

All of them had:
P85D, NG, Spoiler, Dual Chargers, Tech/AP, Air, UHFS

These numbers were available incl. Dest&RegDocFee:
$128,101 | 2015 w/ 569 miles (-$3,869) | Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon Fiber, Black Alcantara, Premium Interior
$128,877 | 2015 w/ 525 miles (-$3,843) | Silver, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon Fiber, Black Alcantara, Premium Interior
$125,460 | 2014 w/1906 miles (-$8,610) | Red, Pano, 21" Silver, Obeche Gloss, White Alcantara, Premium Interior, Subzero
$114,717 | 2014 w/2822 miles (-$12,353) | Silver, Pano, 19" Cyclone, Obeche Gloss, Black Alcantara
$117,194 | 2014 w/2990 miles (-$12,876) | Black, 21" Silver, Obeche Gloss, White Alcantara, Premium Interior, Subzero

For the curious, the underlined ones have the rear NG seats.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Looking seriously at an inventory car. I have a deposit down on the X, but after driving the S, I don't think I can wait.

Agree that the P85D pricing is not aggressively discounted. Why would it be? What an amazing car. I was able to find a P85 w/ Auto Pilot that has my attention. 4k miles and in near perfect shape.

Took the factory tour today. Hope to be a owner in the near term...

marty

I guess timing is everything. We had no plans to purchase a Model S since we were waiting on the X. After taking the tour, proceeding to drive several cars, we ended up with a P85 inventory car about a week later.

We were able to get a service loaner vehicle with just under 4K mi. Excellent condition and all the options we wanted.

The folks in Fremont were awesome.

What a great experience!

I guess timing is everything. We had no plans to purchase a Model S since we were waiting on the X. After taking the tour, proceeding to drive several cars, we ended up with a P85 inventory car about a week later.

Those inventory cars are super seductive! I nearly purchased the car I test drove as well. If Tesla hadn't been so stubborn about not swapping out the "as is" 21 inch wheels for 19 inch wheels that I need, they would have had a sale right then and there.

part of me understands the sold "as is" policy. but it's not like I was asking them to add a pano roof to the design. (or carbon fiber trim, which was the only thing missing from the car that I eventually built to order.)

I wanted different tires b/c you can not drive 3 feet in NYC without hitting a pothole these days. Never mind that a portion of the test drive route is on cobble stoned streets. I spent half the test drive fretting I was gg to damage a rim or something.

finally, I can't stress enough how it bothers me that 19 inch wheels are included for free but one must pay $4500 for 21 inch wheels, and there is no credit for the 19 inch wheels left at the factory. That's just wrong!

Those inventory cars are super seductive! I nearly purchased the car I test drove as well. If Tesla hadn't been so stubborn about not swapping out the "as is" 21 inch wheels for 19 inch wheels that I need, they would have had a sale right then and there.

part of me understands the sold "as is" policy. but it's not like I was asking them to add a pano roof to the design. (or carbon fiber trim, which was the only thing missing from the car that I eventually built to order.)

I wanted different tires b/c you can not drive 3 feet in NYC without hitting a pothole these days. Never mind that a portion of the test drive route is on cobble stoned streets. I spent half the test drive fretting I was gg to damage a rim or something.

finally, I can't stress enough how it bothers me that 19 inch wheels are included for free but one must pay $4500 for 21 inch wheels, and there is no credit for the 19 inch wheels left at the factory. That's just wrong!

I agree wit you completely. There is another thread on this topic...

Well, make that two sales that they have lost. We really liked a P85D inventory car we found and it had almost a $14K discount and the deal breaker was the 21" wheels it came with. For business tax purposes we will be leasing it so when you lease you can't make modifications to the car after you buy it otherwise we could have sold the 21" wheels to someone who likes to be stranded on the side of the road after going through a pothole and we could have gotten the regular 19" wheels :)

Inventory cars with 21" wheels are doubly bad for us 1) We really have no intention of playing Russian Roulette with those fragile wheels on NY streets 2) We absolutely have even less interest in actually paying $4,500 for wheels I consider to be inferior to the 19" wheels due to their lack of durability.

So the search goes on for our car with 19" wheels... FWIW our local Tesla gallery Store Manager is well aware of how we feel and he may pass the feedback to the Mothership and he himself volunteered how they sometimes fret taking customers on test drives with 21" wheels as a few have already failed on them with customers test driving their cars. The situation will likely improve over the summer and then again get worse in the winter when the potholes appear.

otherwise we could have sold the 21" wheels to someone who likes to be stranded on the side of the road after going through a pothole and we could have gotten the regular 19" wheels :)

I too considered putting the 21s up for private sale after swapping them out for 19s. but my showroom discount was nowhere near as large as yours,(I think Ps were more heavily discounted as Non-Ps) and I am not sure where I would store the 21s until I found a buyer, and who knows how close to retail I could have sold the 21s for. all of that uncertainty and I said "forget it, I'm just going to maintain my built to order reservation"

The gods smiled upon me and the 70D was announced to the world along with a cute discount on my build that I was able to take advantage of.

Cyclone, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions! Happy to provide any perspective since I know what it's like to be in your shoes.

Belltown, I had planned to take my time and approach getting an inventory car in June, but the CPO program launch included some irresistible cars. I now begin the anxious waiting game for my CPO to arrive. I will definitely follow your recommendations as things progress, particularly #6.

The gods smiled upon me and the 70D was announced to the world along with a cute discount on my build that I was able to take advantage of.

Congrats! The 70D is a really great value. Something tells me they are about to do something with the 85D and the P85D to make those vehicle similarly great values... As it is the 70D is likely enticing RWD 85 and 85D customers to just get a 70D and pay less for almost the same car and it's not Tesla's style to get their customers to pay less... :)

I’ve benefitted from reading hours worth of content in TMC and wanted to contribute back to the community. ..wanted to share some the lessons I’ve learned about taking delivery of an inventory Model S.

Bottom line, I chalk this up as an outlier experience. Tesla is an amazing company that holds itself to a very high standard and is experiencing some teething. I’m convinced Tesla strives to re-define the auto buying process and goes above and beyond to make sure its customers are satisfied. I’ve experienced that myself first hand now within the first week of ownership.

Thanks to your post, belltown99, I was much better prepared for taking delivery of a P85D inventory model. I took a 12/20/2014 produced car, on 04/16/2015 figuring I'll not sell anytime soon so the added depreciation would not be a factor for me since the car is current production standard. In order of your comments:

1. Demo Condition Notification: when i accepted the deal the car was described with "no discrepancies" but when i was to take delivery it had a dent in the rear left wheel arch. My delivery person told me I had been advised of the problem, but that was untrue and I said so.
3. 'minor' damage: My DS gave me the choice of accepting or not but said Tesla would not repair. I chose to refuse acceptance and asked for a ride to a rental car location. They immediately backed down and agreed to fix the dent.
4. My DS was very anxious to get me out of there, but was polite about it. The car was only charged to 140 miles, not enough to get me through my first day, so I insisted on waiting for nearly a full charge. I had asked for a full demo for my spouse, but precisely zero attention was paid to her while I had a very cursory review of very basic elements. I did not protest because I 'felt compelled' to do so. They had no loaner we could use to do errands while waiting the two hours to finally be ready to travel.

5. I did not pick any battles other than the dent.

The delivery actually happened several days after the original schedule because they did not have the car ready, two weeks after i had agreed to take it. That was a serious inconvenience since i had a very full schedule of travel.

Two days after delivery the car had a charge fault. Roadside assistance was fast and talked me through a reset.

Three days after delivery I went to the West Palm Beach Supercharger to try the experience. My console has a lightening connector was was broken at delivery, although I had not noticed it at delivery, and my DS ddi not mention the console at all. At West Palm another new owner was asking questions, and the very nice Service Manager asked me if I had questions, so I mentioned the lightning connector. They immediately installed a new one. That on a Saturday morning walkin! I felt better.

It had a fault again two days ago when Tesla was to pick up the car for fixing the dent. I was stuck at a public charging facility but this time realised assistance could not correct it with a reset. My service centre had sent someone to pick up the car, who left when i was late due to the charge problem, even though they had said the pickup person would be delayed before this occurrence. Thus I had a nearly empty car, no pickup person. The Service person offered to pick it up the next day, which was impossible since I had to leave on an international trip that evening, which he knew. He then offered for me to take the car to the body shop, and they would send an Uber car for me. I was fairly close to my flight time by then. The body shop wanted me to provide payment for the repair, but luckily the Tesla guy clarified the situation. I still had to sign accepting liability for payment to the body shop. The Tesla Uber did not show, so I called one myself.

Of the seven times I tried to call my service manager only once did I reach him directly. Most of the calls eventually forwarded to Tesla HQ. As the situation deteriorated I found him easier to find, so that is a small mercy.

All in all my experience to date has been far below what everyone had told me to expect. Delivery was below the par I have had from a good many exotic and high end cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Morgan, Porsche, BMW, MB and others). The car itself is delightful but i very much wish I had not bought it, at least the Inventory car, because of a seriously flawed first week of ownership.

Everyone seems to enamoured of the experience. I have been mostly really surprised and disappointed.

I did not receive a delivery questionnaire but i wish I had. As it is I found this delivery experience to be worse than any I have personally experienced with a high end car. It was not as bad as many I have heard from other cars. However, this seemed to me to be the fault of disorganisation and rush to complete rather than a more serious problem. Maybe the new head of service can make some rapid fixes. In the meantime I am hoping the past is not a potent of the future.

All of that said, I was not immobilised by a fault. After a new Maserati catching fire and a new BMW having a transmission failure a week after delivery, but events years ago, these Tesla problems are really minor and I do know that. My expectations were probably too high. Now I am dealing with a descent to normalcy with the same less-than-ideal service one is accustomed to by franchised dealers everywhere.

My previous standard for car service excellence has been The Collection in Coral Gables, FL where I have bough Porsche, Jaguar and Audi in the past. So far Tesla is well below their lofty standard, and they are a franchised dealer.

Am I being unreasonable?