Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips needed for my Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! My first post here. I am about to order my Model 3 SR+ but still have a few questions about the car in Canadian (Ottawa) Winter.

First I would love to know how the car performs in snow for it been an RWD (currently driving an AWD Tiguan). Second, I know I definitely need winter tires but not sure which option I should go with. Should I get the $2400 OEM tire combo or aftermarket rim and tire? Which one you use and where can I get them? (Personally, I like how aero wheels look and love its extra efficiency). Third, What about Homelink, I might get it depends on how useful it is. Fourth, About winter accessories. Is the OEM winter floor liner good enough?

Last but not least, Did any of you guys wrap your tesla? Any detail on shops and cost around Ottawa? Thanks in advance and sorry about the loooooong post. I already watched tons of video on Youtube, but not a lot of them are from Ottawa.

I know a couple here in NS that have an RWD LR 3 and a 4WD Tucson. With winter tires on both cars, they STILL prefer the 3, as it’s simply better to drive with more traction. I know I’ve been TRYING to get my X stuck, and so far it’s been impossible, it just powers on through. :p

Tesla’s rim & tire combo isn’t that far off aftermarket prices, so it’ll depend on your tastes. I went aftermarket rims with pirelli scorpions, and I’ve no complaints.

I got the weathertec mats from Tesla since the OEM are carpet mats, which I hate.

Most Tesla owners I’ve talked too have their cars wrapped, either the ‘high risk areas’, or full coverage. It’s just one less hassle IMHO. Afraid I don’t know who does that out where you are though.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
1. Depending on your local ice vs snow ratio, pick appropriate tire.

2. A good set of aftermarket rims that's light and can handle 4000lbs is expensive. It's about the same as Tesla's package, it's really just looks vs Aero cover efficiency.

3. If your garage door already has a remote... skip it. Most of the time you'll have charging and wake/summon is useless.

4. PPF the front and rockers. Do the doors too if you park a lot in public lots. It will save your time and money in the long run from minor dings.

5. Do not rustproof the car. Voids warranties.

Hey guys! My first post here. I am about to order my Model 3 SR+ but still have a few questions about the car in Canadian (Ottawa) Winter.

First I would love to know how the car performs in snow for it been an RWD (currently driving an AWD Tiguan). Second, I know I definitely need winter tires but not sure which option I should go with. Should I get the $2400 OEM tire combo or aftermarket rim and tire? Which one you use and where can I get them? (Personally, I like how aero wheels look and love its extra efficiency). Third, What about Homelink, I might get it depends on how useful it is. Fourth, About winter accessories. Is the OEM winter floor liner good enough?

Last but not least, Did any of you guys wrap your tesla? Any detail on shops and cost around Ottawa? Thanks in advance and sorry about the loooooong post. I already watched tons of video on Youtube, but not a lot of them are from Ottawa.

Went with the Tesla winter tire package and I will say they've performed better than expected. Massive blizzard in the Eastern Townships of Quebec last November, cars and SUVs spinning out into ditches. I was able to go through the (at times several inches deep) snow with little hesitation or slipping despite my relative speed vs the rest of traffic.

As for Homelink, it was included in our LR RWD and love driving up to the driveway and have the garage doors automatically open on approach. Though now a $300 upgrade, I'm not sure I'd spend on that, I'd rather put that towards PPF. Did the front, side mirrors, headlights, door handles, rear bumper with Xpel and no complaints so far. If it wasn't so expensive, I probably would've gotten the whole car wrapped. Saved the extra $ for a deposit on the Y. :D

I bought Tesla 18” aero rims and separately got Continental winter tires and TPMS sensors. It was more hassle to go between different shops and to get TPMS programmed, but the total was $2100 tax in vs. $2400 plus tax.

EDIT: also, RWD has been great driving on Toronto area winter roads.

The Tesla Model 3 winter wheel/tire package is actually a pretty good deal (unless they raised the price when I wasn't looking). The 18" Aero wheels are very nice (cast and then roll forged) so they are pretty light and strong for their very reasonable price. I really like the Pirelli Sottozero II's (just be aware they are not suitable for use much above 50F). I used them in some pretty attrocious conditions las winter and they were great. Although if you have steep, icy hills and RWD you might want something more focussed on ice/snow traction. Just be aware that such tires do not drive nearly as nicely on bare pavement.

I bought Tesla 18” aero rims and separately got Continental winter tires and TPMS sensors. It was more hassle to go between different shops and to get TPMS programmed, but the total was $2100 tax in vs. $2400 plus tax.

EDIT: also, RWD has been great driving on Toronto area winter roads.
How much does Tesla charge for the 18” aero rims?

Where did you purchase the TPMS and how much?

Thanks.

1) make sure you get a referral code when ordering for some free supercharging credits
2) I went with the tesla winter tire package, what nice is you'll have a spare set of aero covers
3) you'll be just fine with the RWD, it just might take a day out in the snow to get the feel of it, I came from having a Jetta
4) I went with the maxpider mats as the original tesla ones didn't seem that great, the never ones seem to look ok
5) homelink is nice if you want to keep the car uncluttered, but it's a bit pricy