Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on Auto Registration of new car (Tesla) in Hawaii - Things to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, welcome mmartin. Tell us about your car. Believe me, we all want to know what you are getting. Come on, you're among family, brag about it. We all do. Watch below, you need to think about your answers to these questions too, just like tommyboy808

tommyboy808, What was your first song you played as you drove away from the SC? Is that your "theme song", now? (Its okay to change.)
What's your car's name. These babies deserve a name. Besides, inside of two weeks you will be sitting outside in the dark, listening to music and talking to the car. So, give us the name. How long did you wait for your car?

Look under Settings after you log on. You can see where it shows "Signature". You can put your configuration in there and it will appear with all your posts.
you need to have a certain minimum number of posts before you can customize you signature. so please feel free to ask questions/give first impressions/tell us how you really feel:biggrin:. to get the min number of posts.

I'm new to the group and i'm waiting for my MS to be delivered next month. Aloha!

New Model S owner here. Just wanted to send out a mahalo to the community for the useful information and tips.

and please drink some more Tesla Kool-Aid,:love: you'll feel much better then. Just relax and enjoy:love:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip dsmith2189...I was beating my head against a wall looking for the signature customization field last night. ;)

Now this Tesla Kool-Aid...I'm up for that anytime. I think that's what got me hooked!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, welcome mmartin. Tell us about your car. Believe me, we all want to know what you are getting. Come on, you're among family, brag about it. We all do. Watch below, you need to think about your answers to these questions too, just like tommyboy808

My S specs:

P#20,754: 85kWh Black w/Pano, 21" Silver // Int: Black Leather, Matte Obeche // Pkgs: Tech, UHF Sound, Air Suspension, Interior Lighting, Parking Sensors, Parcel Shelf
Confirmed 8/20/13 - Expected delivery late Sept.

Thanks for the tip dsmith2189...I was beating my head against a wall looking for the signature customization field last night. ;)

Now this Tesla Kool-Aid...I'm up for that anytime. I think that's what got me hooked!

- - - Updated - - -

My S specs:

P#20,754: 85kWh Black w/Pano, 21" Silver // Int: Black Leather, Matte Obeche // Pkgs: Tech, UHF Sound, Air Suspension, Interior Lighting, Parking Sensors, Parcel Shelf
Confirmed 8/20/13 - Expected delivery late Sept.

Will be very interested in checking out your parking sensors at the next get together. :)

If you lost a license plate...

Some of us are using the Hide-N-Go license plate mount. I am.

I like it and I am going to continue to use it, but it sits low on the car, and
I have to remember to engage the Air Suspension to raise the car when I get close to
a low curb. Works out fine.

But because its low, its also easy to knock off, break off, run over a Leaf or M5 and bust it lose.

When that happens, you need to drop by the DMV to get a replacement. They are not going to
have a spare with your same number. They will issue you a new pair with new numbers.

It does not end there. You need to make a Police report. Your missing tag could be found and used, such as on a stolen car. Some DMV people might tell you it's not required. But they are mistaken, it is.

My neighbor's rear plate was removed and stolen last week. It was later found on a stolen car.
He got a new one, and the person at the DMV told him it was not necessary to make a Police report.
So, he didn't. And today a police officer dropped by and discussed it with him. So he did make a Police report, afterall.
He had to sign a statement saying it was lost or stolen. The reason for this is to get a statement from him
to make sure he was not a party to the event.

So, lose your plate... file a Police report just to be on the safe side.
I expect to lose mine once or twice.

Last edited:
Some of us are using the Hide-N-Go license plate mount. I am.

I like and I am going to continue to use it, but it sits low on the car, and
I have to remember to engage the Air Sus to raise the car when I get close to
a low curb. Works out fine.

But because its low, its also easy to knock off, break off, run over a Leaf or M5 and bust it lose.

When that happens, you need to drop by the DMV to get a replacement. They are not going to
have a spare with your same number. They will issue you a new pair with new numbers.

It does not end there. You need to make a Police report. Your missing tag could be found and used, such as on a stolen car. Some DMV people might tell you it's not required. But they are mistaken, it is.

My neighbor's read plate was removed and stolen last week. It was later found on a stolen car.
He got a new one, and the person at the DMV told him it was not necessary to make a Police report.
So, he didn't. And today a police officer dropped by and discussed it with him. So he make a Police report.
He had to sign a statement saying it was lost or stolen. The reason for this is to get a statement from him
to make sure he was not a party to the event.

So, lose your plate... file a Police report just to be on the safe side.
I expect to lose mine once or twice.

I lost the license plate on my MC. I back tracked my movements but didn't see it. I went straight to the DMV to get a new one. on the way home I decided to give it one more shot and found a twisted plate that had once been mine.

Thanks for the warm greetingseverybody. I was looking for the Signature area too before realizing a minimum number of posts were required to access this feature.

Since you asked, a bit about my car. 60 Khw, Pearl White, grey leather, matte obeche trim, std.Suspension, 19” wheels, sound system. Name of the car? I don'tusually name my cars, but “Pearly” has a nice ring to it.

Minor mods: license plate mountedbelow nose cone with J-hooks, side plate next to rear plate forsafety stickers. Planned mods: LED rear license plate lights, morelighting in trunk (it was pretty dark in there last night!) Maybemore lighting in frunk. Either parking sensors or camera in thefront; looking at options. Will install myself.

As you can tell, I'm geeky. Enjoy newthings and technology. Rooted my Samsung Galaxy, added LED DRL's tomy Leaf, used to code stuff years ago for digital imaging in the darkages of scanners, etc. This is my second EV, my first is a 2011Ocean Blue Leaf I drove the past two years. Come to think of it, I did give it thename “BluBoi” on the Carwings website. Loved the Leaf, my wifeis driving it now.

Thanks for the warm greetings everybody. I was looking for the Signature area too before realizing a minimum number of posts were required to access this feature.

When you join TMC a number of your initial posts are placed in moderation for review prior to publishing. The delay maybe be up to 24hrs but is usually much, much shorter. This has worked very well for us in reducing the amount of spam and advertising on the forum. For the same reason, access to certain features, e.g. signature line on posts, is initially restricted.

Sorry for the frustration but it keeps things "clean" for everyone in the long run.

Thanks for the warm greetingseverybody. I was looking for the Signature area too before realizing a minimum number of posts were required to access this feature.

Since you asked, a bit about my car. 60 Khw, Pearl White, grey leather, matte obeche trim, std.Suspension, 19” wheels, sound system. Name of the car? I don'tusually name my cars, but “Pearly” has a nice ring to it.

Minor mods: license plate mountedbelow nose cone with J-hooks, side plate next to rear plate forsafety stickers. Planned mods: LED rear license plate lights, morelighting in trunk (it was pretty dark in there last night!) Maybemore lighting in frunk. Either parking sensors or camera in thefront; looking at options. Will install myself.

As you can tell, I'm geeky. Enjoy newthings and technology. Rooted my Samsung Galaxy, added LED DRL's tomy Leaf, used to code stuff years ago for digital imaging in the darkages of scanners, etc. This is my second EV, my first is a 2011Ocean Blue Leaf I drove the past two years. Come to think of it, I did give it thename “BluBoi” on the Carwings website. Loved the Leaf, my wifeis driving it now.

Did you buy a used MS? Sounds like one of the forum member's cars :)

@Tommyboy - Where did you got your J-hooks for the plate from? I was looking all over the local stores (Lowes, HD, City Mill) and couldn't find anything like what was shown in the YT video. Finally settled on just rigging up some wire ties for temporary mounting for the safety check.

My car is new, though I did meet another buyer at the SC who ordered the same color except for a black/carbon fiber interior.

Gtom1, regarding the J-hooks, I got what are called clothesline hooks from Home Depot. They are not J shaped but more rounded but fit well. 5/16" diameter. Only $1.57 each IIRC. They had to be cut down about an inch using a Dremel tool. The supplied plate holder has do be drilled out just a bit. I mounted the bottom of the plate holder flush with the black plastic lip and used the "Tesla" plate frame that came with the car. Took 15 minutes. IMHO it looks so much better instead of having the plate stuck on the nose.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My car is new, though I did meet another buyer at the SC who ordered the same color except for a black/carbon fiber interior.

Gtom1, regarding the J-hooks, I got what are called clothesline hooks from Home Depot. They are not J shaped but more rounded but fit well. 5/16" diameter. Only $1.57 each IIRC. They had to be cut down about an inch using a Dremel tool. The supplied plate holder has do be drilled out just a bit. I mounted the bottom of the plate holder flush with the black plastic lip and used the "Tesla" plate frame that came with the car. Took 15 minutes. IMHO it looks so much better instead of having the plate stuck on the nose.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you are going to a hardware store, there's another option. Look in the area where the hardware for toliet seats. They have 2 1/2 - 3 inch long 5/16 bolts with a flat sort-of-oblong head. These are a big enough head to squeeze past the grill holes and spin 90 degrees to allow you to pull the plate tight. I used this for a while. You can also add a flat washer on the inside side of the grill to spread the strain against the grill.

Last edited: