Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on Auto Registration of new car (Tesla) in Hawaii - Things to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planned mods: LED rear license plate lights, more lighting in trunk (it was pretty dark in there last night!) Maybe more lighting in frunk. Will install myself.

I picked up some LED lights for the trunk at Holiday Mart/Daiei/Don Quixote about 6 months ago. they fit perfectly under the cargo cover rails. one of these days I will probably install them.
I ordered my LED rear license plate bulbs on line. you should get the ones without the resistor and heat sink because they are not needed.
the resistor is needed by some electrical systems that need a certain minimum resistance in the line to work. that resistance creates heat and uses more electricity.

I picked up some LED lights for the trunk at Holiday Mart/Daiei/Don Quixote about 6 months ago. they fit perfectly under the cargo cover rails. one of these days I will probably install them.
I ordered my LED rear license plate bulbs on line. you should get the ones without the resistor and heat sink because they are not needed.
the resistor is needed by some electrical systems that need a certain minimum resistance in the line to work. that resistance creates heat and uses more electricity.

I bought the 2-pack of battery powered LED lights from Costco a couple weeks back for my frunk & trunk. They work great, except I think the motion sensor is not an infrared one, since I noticed the light comes on occassionally when driving with things in the back

I managed to complete the entire laundry list (plus more for commercial vehicle purposes) yesterday in about 4 hours. I started off getting a temporary commercial safety at 8Am...then went to the tax office ~8:45...only had about a 5 minute wait. (I took a gamble and didn't feed any quarters in the meeter...come on, the plate says Zero Emissions...hehe). I brought all forms with my (G-27 from Tesla & G-45 since I have a GE Tax License). I mentioned to the clerk that I had a GE Tax license and she did not need a G-45 from me (she didn't even need the G-27 from me--she said I would need that along with my receipt from paying taxes to register the vehicle...gave her my SSN and she pulled me up in the system. She inspected my Bill of Sale & the letter from Tesla indicating the freight charges only. She then provided me with a printout that showed the amount due in taxes. From there it was a 1 minute wait for the cashier who reviewed everything and gave me a receipt for my payment.

Next I went to the Satellite City Hall on Fort St. I fed the meter there to be safe (they took credit cards) and only had about a 5 minute wait in line. The clerk said they have not processed too many Teslas, but were beginning to see more. She took my Certificate of Origin, G-27, and Bill of Lading, as well as checked my safety & insurance. Be sure to mention that you want an EV plate if you want one. Registration was $405. They still have lower number plates at Fort St. apparently...I got 2946. It took about 20 minutes from start to finish once I reached the counter.

Next I drove all the way out to Kapolei to register the vehicle with the DOT for its commercial passenger carrying registration. Then I drove back to town and received my permanent commercial safety and installed the plates.

Finally, I was done and took her to be tinted for her 12pm appt....I was a little late at 12:15.

Stopped by to pay Akikiki a visit on the way home...you guys are going to love his red Tessie Too!

What a chore...but I'm glad it's done and I enjoyed driving from place to place. Tried stopping at 2 places to charge during the day...the Valkenburgh chargers were not working...and the one at Walmart in Pearl City would not accept a guest code...grrr...got home with only 19 miles of juice left. :scared:

I managed to complete the entire laundry list (plus more for commercial vehicle purposes) yesterday in about 4 hours. I started off getting a temporary commercial safety at 8Am...then went to the tax office ~8:45...only had about a 5 minute wait. (I took a gamble and didn't feed any quarters in the meeter...come on, the plate says Zero Emissions...hehe). I brought all forms with my (G-27 from Tesla & G-45 since I have a GE Tax License). I mentioned to the clerk that I had a GE Tax license and she did not need a G-45 from me (she didn't even need the G-27 from me--she said I would need that along with my receipt from paying taxes to register the vehicle...gave her my SSN and she pulled me up in the system. She inspected my Bill of Sale & the letter from Tesla indicating the freight charges only. She then provided me with a printout that showed the amount due in taxes. From there it was a 1 minute wait for the cashier who reviewed everything and gave me a receipt for my payment.

Next I went to the Satellite City Hall on Fort St. I fed the meter there to be safe (they took credit cards) and only had about a 5 minute wait in line. The clerk said they have not processed too many Teslas, but were beginning to see more. She took my Certificate of Origin, G-27, and Bill of Lading, as well as checked my safety & insurance. Be sure to mention that you want an EV plate if you want one. Registration was $405. They still have lower number plates at Fort St. apparently...I got 2946. It took about 20 minutes from start to finish once I reached the counter.

Next I drove all the way out to Kapolei to register the vehicle with the DOT for its commercial passenger carrying registration. Then I drove back to town and received my permanent commercial safety and installed the plates.

Finally, I was done and took her to be tinted for her 12pm appt....I was a little late at 12:15.

Stopped by to pay Akikiki a visit on the way home...you guys are going to love his red Tessie Too!

What a chore...but I'm glad it's done and I enjoyed driving from place to place. Tried stopping at 2 places to charge during the day...the Valkenburgh chargers were not working...and the one at Walmart in Pearl City would not accept a guest code...grrr...got home with only 19 miles of juice left. :scared:

How many miles charge did you start off with??

Updated the first posting on this thread. Describes results of changes made by Tesla Ownership with new documents and descriptions to help new Hawaii Tesla owners. One letter spells out specifically the shipping fee that we pay. Removes all doubt for DMV and DoTax.

Followed Papafox's lead and went to Kapolei DMV. Nice ride out there. Easy people to work with in DMV. Understood the Tesla paperwork and have registered some other Teslas. Bonus was I got a 3 digit license plate number.

Updated Safety Inspection Sticker Info

Reposting my post on the main thread regarding the new rules for the safety inspection stickers. Sorry, I'd link it but I don't know how!

Under the previous version of the Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) 19-133.2-24(b), you were allowed to have the safety check sticker in a vertical orientation on a plate next to the license plate, provided the stickers were placed month on top, then year. The new rules submitted to the Governor in June 2013 by the Hawaii DOT revised this to only allow for the new sticker to be placed in a horizontal orientation, either directly on the bumper or on a special plate attached below the bumper or to the license plate:

"(b) After the certificate of inspection is signed, an inspection sticker shall be affixed by the inspector upon the right, most nearly vertical portion of the rear bumper of the vehicle or on another appropriate place, such as, a special bracket installed under the right portion or center of the rear bumper or a bracket attached to the rear license plate oriented so the sticker can be affixed in an upright position and clearly viewed by a person who is fifty feet behind the vehicle. The rear window or the face of the license plate is not an appropriate place."

Fortunately, my current sticker is good til August, so I have a few months to go shopping for a new bracket. They carry them at Ron's Auto Parts in Iwilei. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pdf of the new Hawaii Admin Rules, just in case you need it to prove to the inspection station that it's allowed to have it on a bracket. I've had many occasions where inspectors argued with me under the old rules that the bracket wasn't allowed.

View attachment HAR 19-133.2-24 Rvsd June 2013.pdf

The SC now has a license to issue safety check stickers, but they haven't got all the necessary equipment (iPads) yet. Luke thinks they'll have it in the next few weeks then they can issue safety check stickers to new vehicles on delivery and renewals. Unfortunately, they only have a regular safety check inspection license, so no two year stickers for new vehicles.

I'm getting my annual service done wednesday and asked them to renew my safety inspection. They said they would take care of it, but wasn't specific if they would do it or someplace else. I'll report back after.

They are still subcontracting the safety checks out to a third party. They were not able to do mine yesterday since I didn't have my front plate installed and I forgot to tell them where I hid it in the car. :eek:

Hi,
I picked up my car today. Tesla has a 3rd party service to take care of the registration. So you don't have to do it yourself.
Also they said they are close to being able to complete the safety check in house. At present they will take care of getting it do as stated above.

Hi,
I picked up my car today. Tesla has a 3rd party service to take care of the registration. So you don't have to do it yourself.
Also they said they are close to being able to complete the safety check in house. At present they will take care of getting it do as stated above.

Welcome to the forum! How big is your Tesla grin? By the way, can you let us know your configuration? 60 or 85. Color. Roof. Tech package? Stereo. size of wheels. interior. child seats, etc. As you can see on my signature, I have that information and the others on the forum have it as well.

Aloha all,
Not sure if this is the right thread or not but here is my situation:
I already own my MS, having purchased it on 3/28/14. It is a 60, pano,black,19s.
My questions are: If I decide to bring it (I am relocating for work on Kauai) there are several concerns:
A) the registration process seems like a big deal, compared to back on the mainland (NJ) where tesla did everything.
B) are the fees (Taxes, and others) similar for an already owned vehicle (I have 15K miles, if that matters)?
C) should I just sell it, and buy a new one?
D) is service available? how about Superchargers?

I will be coming there for my first ever visit in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can have the answers I seek by then.

Aloha all,
Not sure if this is the right thread or not but here is my situation:
I already own my MS, having purchased it on 3/28/14. It is a 60, pano,black,19s.
My questions are: If I decide to bring it (I am relocating for work on Kauai) there are several concerns:
A) the registration process seems like a big deal, compared to back on the mainland (NJ) where tesla did everything.
B) are the fees (Taxes, and others) similar for an already owned vehicle (I have 15K miles, if that matters)?
C) should I just sell it, and buy a new one?
D) is service available? how about Superchargers?

I will be coming there for my first ever visit in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can have the answers I seek by then.

Contact the service center here on Oahu and ask. There is no service center on any of the other islands but they will fly out to you if you have ranger service or even have your car shipped to Oahu for major repairs. They are handling all the new car registrations, but I think it would just go through the normal registration process that all owned cars go through here at the DMV. I think you might be the first MS out there that we know about! And no, there are no Superchargers yet in Hawaii. We are trying to get one for Oahu since there are a few hundred Teslas here.

or just get the new rumored P85D :biggrin: