Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on getting back into FSD Beta after MCU replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I've been in the FSD Beta since last year when they lowered the threshold to reckless people like me with a score of only 98.

Last month our MCU abruptly fried (a whole separate story), and the car got towed to Bend and had a new one put in. They returned the car with the same software version it went in with, but in addition to losing our profiles and such with the new computer, the car also wasn't activated in FSD anymore. Not even the visualizations with yellow and red lines, and intersections, etc. (Yes, I turned on the option about advanced visualizations.)

I poked around in the menus, and clicked the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button. Now beneath that button it says, "You are enrolled into Full Self-Driving Beta queue."

So now what? The service center doesn't know how to force it to come back. There's no indication whether one waits in the queue for days or weeks or months. It seems we ought to be able to get back to the same functionality we had before the MCU failure.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I had my mcu updated a month ago. My service center was able to get my profile and everything back to what it was before mcu replacement. I took it to Pomona service center in Pomona California. Maybe you can get them to talk to each other to help your situation out.

I had my mcu updated a month ago. My service center was able to get my profile and everything back to what it was before mcu replacement. I took it to Pomona service center in Pomona California. Maybe you can get them to talk to each other to help your situation out.
Service Centers have NO ACCESS to Beta and can't help in any way.

Once beta is removed it is totally GONE and you must start over. To me this is another of Tesla biggest flubs, especially for Beta users buying a new Tesla.

Service Centers have NO ACCESS to Beta and can't help in any way.

Once beta is removed it is totally GONE and you must start over. To me this is another of Tesla biggest flubs, especially for Beta users buying a new Tesla.
Turns out not true. I had an appointment in Palo Alto for an unrelated problem (loose trunk lid liner), and added the loss of FSD as another item in the service request. The appointment was Tuesday. On Monday they were reviewing the service request and fixed FSD Beta over the air. It was working as I drove to Tesla for my appointment. I can't tell you how they did it, but they did.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Turns out not true. I had an appointment in Palo Alto for an unrelated problem (loose trunk lid liner), and added the loss of FSD as another item in the service request. The appointment was Tuesday. On Monday they were reviewing the service request and fixed FSD Beta over the air. It was working as I drove to Tesla for my appointment. I can't tell you how they did it, but they did.
That is a first heard of. What was you software version before you last visit since you can't go backwards? When they replaced your MCU did they install Service Software and then you had to update after you got it back or did it have the same version software?

That is a first heard of. What was you software version before you last visit since you can't go backwards? When they replaced your MCU did they install Service Software and then you had to update after you got it back or did it have the same version software?
Before the computer fried, we were on 2022.12.3.20, an FSDß version, and FSDß was indeed working.

After the replacement, we lost everything. They did return the car with 2022.12.3.20, though, the same version it went in with. Except FSDß was no longer enabled. I clicked the button to request it, and it merely said I was in the queue. And the safety score feature showed up on my phone app for the first time in a year or so.

After a while, the car wanted to install an update. I forget the number now, but I looked it up, and it was a non-FSDß release, so I kept ignoring it. But I failed to mention this to my wife, and several days later she installed it. Oops.

Then the day before our service appointment, Palo Alto started looking at my service request, which had three items. They texted for more info on one of them. Around this time of day (we were driving across Nevada that day) the little orange down arrow appeared on the screen saying the car wanted to download an update. The version was 2022.20.18. Again, I looked this up and was happy to see it was an FSDß version. When we got to our destination that night in the Bay Area, I connected the car to WiFi and the download began. As I went to bed, I started the installation.

The next morning I went out to the car. I had to click through the screens acknowledging the risks and responsibilities of using FSDß, and then it was working! When I got to Palo Alto mid-morning, my service advisor ticked down my three items. I mentioned the FSD issue was fixed OTA the previous day, and she was unsurprised and checked it off.

I can't tell you exactly what they did behind the scenes, but there's my story.

Reactions: Dewg and archae86
Before the computer fried, we were on 2022.12.3.20, an FSDß version, and FSDß was indeed working.

After the replacement, we lost everything. They did return the car with 2022.12.3.20, though, the same version it went in with. Except FSDß was no longer enabled. I clicked the button to request it, and it merely said I was in the queue. And the safety score feature showed up on my phone app for the first time in a year or so.

After a while, the car wanted to install an update. I forget the number now, but I looked it up, and it was a non-FSDß release, so I kept ignoring it. But I failed to mention this to my wife, and several days later she installed it. Oops.

Then the day before our service appointment, Palo Alto started looking at my service request, which had three items. They texted for more info on one of them. Around this time of day (we were driving across Nevada that day) the little orange down arrow appeared on the screen saying the car wanted to download an update. The version was 2022.20.18. Again, I looked this up and was happy to see it was an FSDß version. When we got to our destination that night in the Bay Area, I connected the car to WiFi and the download began. As I went to bed, I started the installation.

The next morning I went out to the car. I had to click through the screens acknowledging the risks and responsibilities of using FSDß, and then it was working! When I got to Palo Alto mid-morning, my service advisor ticked down my three items. I mentioned the FSD issue was fixed OTA the previous day, and she was unsurprised and checked it off.

I can't tell you exactly what they did behind the scenes, but there's my story.
It wasn’t the service center you just had an older firmware and you enabled fsd beta request button and then you did the required 100 miles of autopilot engaged with a safety score of 80 or better fsd automatically downloads

It wasn’t the service center you just had an older firmware and you enabled fsd beta request button and then you did the required 100 miles of autopilot engaged with a safety score of 80 or better fsd automatically downloads
Didn't they removed that requirement and have the FSD beta available to anyone who request it (regardless of score and miles driven in autopilot) , someone please correct me if I am wrong?