Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on how I averaged~190 wh/mi for 17,000 miles (so far...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently spoke with a friend about his efficiency experience with his M3 LR, so he was surprised to hear I was getting ~430-470 miles of range per charge consistently for the greater part of the 9 months I’ve owned my LR M3 RWD.

How?

1. Driving behavior

To jump right in, I commute 50 miles roundtrip a day, from Petersburg, Va. to Richmond, Va. for work. 87% of the driving consist solely of highway driving (43.5 of these miles are highway only!). Aside from family trips to North Carolina and southwestern Virginia, around 300-400 miles back and forth, the car hasn’t seen much deviation from the aforementioned daily commute.

2. Driving environment

For the forum members who are not familiar with the east coast and Virginia in general, the region is not flat by any stretch of imagination. The highways curve and vary relatively immensely in elevation for extended periods of driving up and down the Virginia I-95 corridor. Additionally, the average temperatures from October-April range between 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit; which we know our batteries don’t like! It should be noted that I have rarely utilized the battery precondition settings and will discuss why I haven’t later on. I was still averaging about 205 wh/mi when battery regen was limited by upwards of 90%. Since 19APR19, I have seen a consistent ~160-170 wh/mi at 85-95 degree Fahrenheit for 250+ miles.

3. Vehicle and driving details

Of course, the aero wheels are on! On warmer days 80F+, the AC is set to 67F at a fan speed of 2. This is done religiously. YES I am comfortable as if I were sitting on a cloud. I am not overly heat-tolerant; in fact, I rather dislike the heat. In colder weather, the AC is set to 75F and the fan speed at 2. Here is the kicker ladies and gentlemen, I travel at an average speed/ range between 57-62MPH. Sure, I am "that" guy, but when EAP/AP/FSD (whatever we call it now...) is on, I do nothing but enjoy the ride the entire way.

4. Charging behavior

I continually cycle between 10%-70% SOC. Rarely do I do more, rarely do I do less. Every 2 weeks, on a Wednesday, I charge to 95% and run the battery down to about 10% for a full cycle to ensure battery longevity. More than 90% of my charging/fuel is free courtesy of BMW ChargePoint station, located conveniently next to my domicile. Of the 3,300 kW I have used to push my car 17,000 miles, 3,000 have been free according to ChargePoint data. I do have a 240V at home, but it rarely sees action. I do not keep the battery plugged in when its charged to the set SOC capacity, so I do notice vampirism. I am willing to change this habit if someone can present evidence of the benefits of such, beyond Tesla recommendation etc. I am not a SOC expert but have pieced this together over the last few months, from sources ranging from E-Tusk down to forum users just like you.

If I left anything out that you'd like to know, please feel free to comment and I will answer to the best of my abilities.

Very respectfully,
Creighton

View attachment 418838 View attachment 418839
I recently spoke with a friend about his efficiency experience with his M3 LR, so he was surprised to hear I was getting ~430-470 miles of range per charge consistently for the greater part of the 9 months I’ve owned my LR M3 RWD.

How?

1. Driving behavior

To jump right in, I commute 50 miles roundtrip a day, from Petersburg, Va. to Richmond, Va. for work. 87% of the driving consist solely of highway driving (43.5 of these miles are highway only!). Aside from family trips to North Carolina and southwestern Virginia, around 300-400 miles back and forth, the car hasn’t seen much deviation from the aforementioned daily commute.

2. Driving environment

For the forum members who are not familiar with the east coast and Virginia in general, the region is not flat by any stretch of imagination. The highways curve and vary relatively immensely in elevation for extended periods of driving up and down the Virginia I-95 corridor. Additionally, the average temperatures from October-April range between 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit; which we know our batteries don’t like! It should be noted that I have rarely utilized the battery precondition settings and will discuss why I haven’t later on. I was still averaging about 205 wh/mi when battery regen was limited by upwards of 90%. Since 19APR19, I have seen a consistent ~160-170 wh/mi at 85-95 degree Fahrenheit for 250+ miles.

Of course, the aero wheels are on! On warmer days 80F+, the AC is set to 67F at a fan speed of 2. This is done religiously. YES I am comfortable as if I were sitting on a cloud. I am not overly heat-tolerant; in fact, I rather dislike the heat. In colder weather, the AC is set to 75F and the fan speed at 2. Here is the kicker ladies and gentlemen, I travel at an average speed/ range between 57-62MPH. Sure, I am "that" guy, but when EAP/AP/FSD (whatever we call it now...) is on, I do nothing but enjoy the ride the entire way.

4. Charging behavior

I continually cycle between 10%-70% SOC. Rarely do I do more, rarely do I do less. Every 2 weeks, on a Wednesday, I charge to 95% and run the battery down to about 10% for a full cycle to ensure battery longevity. More than 90% of my charging/fuel is free courtesy of BMW ChargePoint station, located conveniently next to my domicile. Of the 3,300 kW I have used to push my car 17,000 miles, 3,000 have been free according to ChargePoint data. I do have a 240V at home, but it rarely sees action. I do not keep the battery plugged in when its charged to the set SOC capacity, so I do notice vampirism. I am willing to change this habit if someone can present evidence of the benefits of such, beyond Tesla recommendation etc. I am not a SOC expert but have pieced this together over the last few months, from sources ranging from E-Tusk down to forum users just like you.

If I left anything out that you'd like to know, please feel free to comment and I will answer to the best of my abilities.

Very respectfully,
Creighton

It's my understanding that the charge rate also makes a difference regarding the life of the battery. When I'm not in a hurry, I use a 110 v community power outlet. I'll frequently use the Superchagers for short durations.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
M3 AWD - I find myself alternating between “wow this car is so efficient” and “OMG this car is so fast!” Alas, fast usually wins out for me. o_O Still spending about a third of what I would have spent on gas on a 40 MPG car for my 100+ mile commute! This on $0.13 / KwH overnight on my TOU plan.

In my experience: hills don’t matter all that much. I climb 4000+ on my way home (of course helps going downhill in the morning). The cold does it. Between the cold and running the heater I average 275+ in winter (gets freezing fairly often) and about 235 in the summer with the AC blasting. I usually drive about 70-75 MPH. I’m usually the slow guy lol.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and APotatoGod
I should have paid more attention in my Fluids and Gases class in undergrad but darn isn't it impeccable that drag contributes to a fair amount of efficiency loss at speeds greater than 55-60. Of course, a majority of my underutilization of power is due to not traveling at 65+. Does anyone know of a graph/visualization that shows power consumption at 1mph intervals from 45MPH-80MPH?
I haven't specifically tested my M3 yet, but on my 2008 Mini Cooper, I got 34 mpg at 75 mph, 40 mpg at 65 mph and 50 mpg at 55 mph, 50% better at 55 vs 75, which fits the jist of this article.

• Informative
Reactions: Jivas

How?

1. Driving behavior

2. Driving environment

4. Charging behavior

Very respectfully,
Creighton

First off, that's awesome! I agree with the poster about constant drain and (almost) full charge. Every recommendation I've seen says charge to 80% (some say 90% OK) and keep the car plugged in at night. I do want to attach this, for those seeing this post that may be unfamiliar with this site.
Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com
We lived in Northern VA for about 11 yrs total. I've had my M3 AWD about 8 months. I'm getting nowhere near the mileage you see but then mine is AWD as the winters here (CT) can be nasty and our driveway is long and steep. Truth be told, most of my driving is in the 35mph range (local). Consequently, I think a major factor for me is simply heat and phantom drain. Even though the car is plugged in you'll still get phantom drain.

Reactions: dcdttu
My tip would be to be conscious of changing the Model 3 tires if efficiency is your #1 goal. For me, I wanted better traction, improved cosmetic look, and to run my favorite Michelin AS3+ tires year round. Efficiency has been 300kW/h for 20,000mi driving “spiritedly”. I came from BMW’s so I don’t hypermile by any means
54155646-BDBC-4E34-85FC-EEA2F35929B7.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: kjyam98
1) It would be interesting to see the inner schematics of the airflow profiles. I would be interested in hearing about this as well...

2) So far, no one has said a thing. However, I do try to only charge and park after the close of business, and if I need a big amount of enerfy in an overnight charge, I like to pick it up before they open. But on days where I charge during business hours, they don't pay me any mind. The spots say "EV Parking"
So you leave your car parked at anEV charger overnight and pick it up in the morning? What if someone else wants to charge during the evening as these sites are usually listed for public use? Screw them I guess, right?

Of the 3,300 kW I have used to push my car 17,000 miles, 3,000 have been free according to ChargePoint data.
The display only shows battery-to-wheels efficiency (and who knows how accurate it is). If Chargepoint says you've used 3000kWh then you've used way more the 300kWh from other sources.
If your tires ever wear out you should get some Ecopias :D
Very impressive, I'm at 324Wh/mi (indicated) lifetime.

It's my understanding that the charge rate also makes a difference regarding the life of the battery. When I'm not in a hurry, I use a 110 v community power outlet. I'll frequently use the Superchagers for short durations.

FWIW and not sure if this applies to Telsa battery tech, but throwing this out there. Saved the below from a Leaf forum where battery talk is paramount....

According to Julian Sale (who has said he's gathered info not only from hands-on data collected from real cars, but from the engineers, chemists, and designers of battery technology used in current EVs),

"Level 2 charging as a main source of power will extend the longevity of your LEAF battery, when coupled with responsible usage and the avoidance of high heat and extended periods (more than 8 hrs) [at charge levels] above 80% or below 20%. In as few words as possible, Level 2 [as opposed to L1] charging prevents speedy oxidation in the batteries. Oxidation results in higher resistance, lower performance.

As a group of engineers who developed lithium-ion batteries told me, Level 2 charging provides enough current to burn through the oxidation that naturally occurs in lithium-ion batteries. Level 1 charging simply does not provide enough electrical pressure to burn through."

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
One of the great things about AP on the highway is how relaxing it its when you have the to just enjoy the ride. I'm still new to my LR RWD with only 1,200 miles. Most of that has been on highways or secondary roads, little city driving. Tend to stay at 63 or 65 highways. I'm at 211 Wh/mi. Still playing the "how low can I go" game and enjoy the few punches when needed.

I have noted my M3 is as efficient at 63 on the highway as my 14 Leaf is driving around town at 25-30 mph. That's amazing.

The display only shows battery-to-wheels efficiency (and who knows how accurate it is). If Chargepoint says you've used 3000kWh then you've used way more the 300kWh from other sources.
If your tires ever wear out you should get some Ecopias :D
Very impressive, I'm at 324Wh/mi (indicated) lifetime.

324Wh/mi. Saving the world.

Yeah, putting some numbers to this comment:

@Creighton:

3000kWh from Chargepoint => ~2670kWh added to the battery.

You've used 3300kWh from the battery according to the meter in the car, so that leaves 630kWh unaccounted for.

That would be 708kWh (630kWh/0.89) from other sources.

Roughly. It does depend on how accurate the car meter is - it's possible it is low by a couple %, so maybe 100kWh more were actually used, but it's a relatively small error.