Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on renting a Tesla in Germany?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're taking a family trip to Bavaria this summer and I'm considering renting a Tesla at MUC and driving it along our planned route (about 900km). First, has anyone done this and would you recommend it? Second, if we do rent a Tesla, what should I know and/or do before we arrive (apart from learn German traffic signs and norms, obv.) so as to minimize the surprises once we're there? TIA.

Reactions: xAgyex
i'm looking at renting a Tesla at Sixt within the city proper.. . I was curious if charging is included. If charging is included this is definitely cheaper than renting an ICE because the price difference is less than 12-15 Euro a day compared to the entry level sedans like an Audi A3. All the NAV and charging is already on the screen, I could even log in and download all my settings, so no change at all from the experience standpoint.

I've never driven in Germany, but in my business trips there, everybody would fight to drive cause everyone wanted to drive uber fast on the autobanh in our rented BMWs and turbo Volvos whenever the traffic let up and the no speed limit signs appeared. But those cars were expensive to rent compartively. On family trip, I'm not willing to shell out the money to go beyond the basic asthmatic Mercedes B class, Audi A3, Seat, Peugot... so when the Tesla is only 12-15 euro more, it's a good deal. Even more so if the charging is included.

Last edited:
I made reservation for a weekly rental and called Sixt in Germany to ask about how charging worked. Calling Sixt and requesting English, I get routed to a call center in the Philippines. Salamat.

My very specific question is "how do I pay for charging on the Tesla network? Or is charging included while on the Tesla network."

Call center puts me on hold then calls Germany (it's 8am there). she gets back to me an says the charges will eventually get billed back to your rental. They will give further instructions when arrive.

Regardless, I still think due to the 12 euro a day price difference, it's still worth it for me to rent Tesla vs whatever gas Audi A3.

But deep down inside I'm still hoping that charging on the Tesla network is included.

Live in Maryland, USA. But was in Germany from late March to early April, and rented a Model Y the entire time I was there from Sixt. Overall, I think having an EV in Germany is way easier than in the US...but a Tesla is even better. With Sixt I was never charged for the Super Charging sessions. But they did say they would bill me afterwards...But I also paid an addition $7 flat for the "Fueling/Charging service, so not sure if that was the reason.

Highly recommend renting a Tesla. Lots of Super Chargers on the highways and most places we visited had public charging.

Go to AAA Travel your local office and get your International Drivers License, super cheap and easy. Only took us 30 minutes.

Biggest tip...DO NOT SPEED AT ALL...if it says 30 KPH max I would go with be 10% more so 33 KPH.

Good video on driving on German Roads:

Check out my post about this: 2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
We're taking a family trip to Bavaria this summer and I'm considering renting a Tesla at MUC and driving it along our planned route (about 900km). First, has anyone done this and would you recommend it? Second, if we do rent a Tesla, what should I know and/or do before we arrive (apart from learn German traffic signs and norms, obv.) so as to minimize the surprises once we're there? TIA.
Let us know your Tesla driving experience in Bavaria when you are back. I plan to spend a few weeks in Bavaria in September. Thinking of renting a Tesla 3 from Hertz. It seems they rent only the short-range model. Are there other companies besides Hertz and Sixt that rent Tesla? I am curious how to pay for the charging? The availability of superchargers seems to be adequate in this region.

So I'm back from Germany (northern Bavaria ) and Austria for over a month. Rental from Sixt was very straight forward. I haven't yet got an extra bill for charging on the Tesla network from Sixt. They gave me a Shell RFID card which I had to setup with my credit card as well. There was no point since I'd rather just stay in the Tesla network.

I did end up getting a letter and a €150 charge for not having a highway fees sticker in Austria.

So now I know one has to buy a 10 day e-toll before entering Austria for €5.80 plus tax. Instead Austria assessed me for a yearly toll of €96.49 plus tax for a total of €120. On top of that Sixt charges me €30 admin fee for a total of €150. Expensive lesson.

We are looking at going back next year and spending a month out there. I'll rent from Sixt again.

Last edited:
Let us know your Tesla driving experience in Bavaria when you are back. I plan to spend a few weeks in Bavaria in September. Thinking of renting a Tesla 3 from Hertz. It seems they rent only the short-range model. Are there other companies besides Hertz and Sixt that rent Tesla? I am curious how to pay for the charging? The availability of superchargers seems to be adequate in this region.
There are other companies but they cost a lot more. Sixt is the bargain but I don't think they have a MUC location. I rented from the Munich Giesing location. Germany is not that big IMHO. I live in California and I've driven to Montana and back, back in 2019 where chargers can be over 100 miles apart. You'll find chargers every 20 miles at farthest apart and slower speeds mean you consume less energy. I don't think standard range is an issue. There are a lot of Level 2 chargers around, but I did not bother.

Driving in Germany is pretty easy. This is the 5th time I've been to Germany but only the first time I've driven. Roads are very well marked, parking is clearly marked in just about every town with P1, P2, P3 etc etc for public lots, Zentrum for town center, rest stops, etc etc. Street parking is usually clearly marked and if a fee is needed between hours. Small towns seems to never enforce street parking fees anyways. What does drive me mad is that roads are not direction based but point to point destination based, city to city, town to town based. So I often don't have the bearing if going east west north south. A roads are interstates, B roads are highways... Divided or non divided, and anything less is just a 2 lane country road. Anyways... I found it very easy to get around Germany and Austria and very easy to drive. Just remember to buy e-toll on your phone before entering Austria.

I recently rented a Model Y for a week at Munich Airport using Sixt. I did c. 1000km around Germany and Austria in that time (remembering to buy an Austrian toll sticker on the way to the border!).

Find the whole process very straightforward - the superchargers just worked as normal. I haven't yet been billed by Sixt for the cost of charging although I also paid for the €10 "don't need to fill up" option.

Car was fine generally - was on all season tyres which were quite noisy and required some air, and it was also out of screen wash. Disappointing but both easily fixed.

In fact the worst part was actually getting the car in the first place. The idiot agent was more interested in trying to upsell me to the world's ugliest BMW and when he finally gave upn he told me the totally wrong location for the car, so we spent ages walking around a massive car park where the phones to the desk weren't being answered and they were no staff in sight. Sure he did it deliberately as I wouldn't pay for an upgrade!

Overall though everything went fine so it's pretty easy to do.

Reserved a Model 3 from Sixt at MUC a few months ago, went to pick it up at the start of November and they said we have no Teslas available! Tried to "upgrade" me to an electric BMW for extra $$, but I said no thanks and they gave me an ICE Audi :mad:.

Went up to the carpark, loaded up the ice Audi and started to drive out when I saw a number of Tesla's in the Sixt rental parking area, so I returned to the original parking space and went down stairs with photos of the numerous Teslas they had ready and waiting upstairs. Numerous fumbles and excuses later I drove out in a Model Y!

So if in doubt, pop up to the 5th floor parking area and count the Teslas before you go to check in for your rental. ;)

Reserved a Model 3 from Sixt at MUC a few months ago, went to pick it up at the start of November and they said we have no Teslas available! Tried to "upgrade" me to an electric BMW for extra $$, but I said no thanks and they gave me an ICE Audi :mad:.

Went up to the carpark, loaded up the ice Audi and started to drive out when I saw a number of Tesla's in the Sixt rental parking area, so I returned to the original parking space and went down stairs with photos of the numerous Teslas they had ready and waiting upstairs. Numerous fumbles and excuses later I drove out in a Model Y!

So if in doubt, pop up to the 5th floor parking area and count the Teslas before you go to check in for your rental. ;)
just because they sit there, they don' have to be available ;)

But apart from that, that's typical rental car business. You can not reserve a specific car and they clarify that on multiple points throughout the booking process. At pickup they will always try to upsell you. Stay patient and firm, and you'll get what you want/need. I often negotiated an upgrade without extra payment, but also often have not been lucky. That's life :D

Reactions: 808?
Sixt (and other rental companies) usually renew their fleet every 6-12 months. They are not dumping them, they simply didn’t order any new ones in favor of other brands and the „old“ ones go out of service. As I wrote before, you can not reserve a certain model, just a class. So even if you rent at hertz it’s not guaranteed you’ll get a Tesla at all.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity