Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips & Tricks for long road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
After having taken aprox 40k miles on many long road trips across the country I decided to put everything I learned together in a video. I hope people will find it useful and helpful. I remember my first road trips and how clueless I was about so many things. Despite me trying to keep it compact, there were so many topics to cover that it became a longer video.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

This is an excellent video. Too bad its mostly TLDR for the average user but the information is extremely valuable. It was also well done.

My suggestion would be to make and overview video that is less than 10 minutes to cover the big features and then invite people to view the entire video to get more details.

Reactions: David99
Nice job and thanks for taking all the time to put this together.

I'm curious if you considered including commentary on overnight charging? I.E. Stay at hotels that have charging rather than visiting a Supercharger first thing in the morning. For me, I always pick a hotel that has some form of charging so I can hit the road with 100%. Plus of course frees up a Supercharger stall for someone passing through who may need it.

Reactions: David99
Thanks everyone. I agree the video is long. I tried to keep compact but the more I worked on it the more topics I found to cover and it kept getting longer.
There are definitely more subject that would be worth covering. As I made the video I already thoght eventually I'll have to do a 'part 2' LOL

The only thing I would be interested in right now is those wheel cover. How did you do make/buy it and how much does it cost? I am too lazy to watch the 1 hour long video for this one bit of information.

I've started a different thread about those aero wheels called 'self made aero wheels'. If you don't want to read the whole thing, here is the short version. The disks make a significant difference in energy usage and range. The faster you go, the higher the effect. At 80 mph the energy usage is about 7-10% lower. The disks are made from aluminum. They are mounted to special lug nuts that are longer and have a thread at the top as mounting points for the disks. After several thousand miles with them I have to say though that it's not a permanent and good solution. The disks touch the rims around the lip and scratch the rims. I had plenty of foam between the disks and the rims but there is so much dirt that gets in between. The disks also tend to make a little more noise. They also extend from the rim so you will very easily scratch them. Last but not least, I saw the aluminum start to show signs of wear and slightly cracking at the mounting points. Wheels are subject to strong forces and vibrations. At the moment I took them off. I love the look and of course the positive effect on the range, but I think the only real solution is an actual aero rim, not an add-on.