Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Advice after pothole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2020 Performance with 4500 miles on stock tires. Hit a giant, unavoidable friggin pothole on the Verrazano yesterday. Now I have two bubbles front and rear passenger side tires. I think the rims are okay but I guess will have to have them looked at to be sure. Was just wondering my options. Looking for the cheapest, and easiest solution basically. Should I just replace the two passenger tires with oem or is the wear going to be screwed up because the other two tires have 4500 miles. Thx bros.

Attachments

• 344823F1-C5FB-4F53-902E-7DDC349BE87D.jpeg
    344823F1-C5FB-4F53-902E-7DDC349BE87D.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 242
  • BD21ED78-4614-410B-8766-F455E3A26003.jpeg
    BD21ED78-4614-410B-8766-F455E3A26003.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 186
Looks like you’ve avoided any damage to the wheels, so fingers crossed that the wheels are fine under closer inspection.

I’d be tempted to get the old tyres on the front and then put new ones on the back.

I’ve had one tyre replaced on the back at around 4k miles on my M3P, after a screw went through it. Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed any difference as a result.

Have a 2020 Performance with 4500 miles on stock tires. Hit a giant, unavoidable friggin pothole on the Verrazano yesterday. Now I have two bubbles front and rear passenger side tires. I think the rims are okay but I guess will have to have them looked at to be sure. Was just wondering my options. Looking for the cheapest, and easiest solution basically. Should I just replace the two passenger tires with oem or is the wear going to be screwed up because the other two tires have 4500 miles. Thx bros.

Just replace the two tires and put them in the back. Bring the old tires up front. You can do it because the tires are not directional. Check if your rims are damaged first. Professionally, not visually.

Aren’t the old tires different sizes on the front and rear? How would that work? I have a 2020 btw.

Tesla stock tires are a square setup (all the same size). they are not staggered.

How does Tesla roadside assistance work? This one tire is totally beat and won’t even hold air long enough to drive to the shop.

Depends on the agreements tesla has in your neighborhood / area / where your car is currently located, but if they have towing partners that have agreed to have spare wheel / tires, they can bring one, put it on your car, and you take your wheel and "deal with it" then return their loaner wheel / tire. T

hey mark up the wheel, at least in southern california, because they had an issue with people keeping the wheel and not dealing with it within the few days they agreed to when tesla installed it.

As Gasaraki mentioned, you're fine with just replacing the two and putting them onto the rear - or you can replace all four with 255/35 size tires instead of 235/35 OEM and get a bit more sidewall and width to reduce damage risk in the future.

Thx guys. I think I’m just gonna go with stock tires again since they’ve been handling really well and the other 2 are like brand new. These are just Michelin pilot sport 4s 235/35 Zr20, right? There’s nothing special For Tesla that they did to them? Just want to make sure the tire shop orders the right factory tires.

Tried Tesla roadside assistance btw. Requested a spare and unfortunately they couldn’t do it and only could do a tow.

Thx guys. I think I’m just gonna go with stock tires again since they’ve been handling really well and the other 2 are like brand new. These are just Michelin pilot sport 4s 235/35 Zr20, right? There’s nothing special For Tesla that they did to them? Just want to make sure the tire shop orders the right factory tires.

Tried Tesla roadside assistance btw. Requested a spare and unfortunately they couldn’t do it and only could do a tow.

The tesla spec version has foam inside.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
Get four 18" rims that look like the 20" and then sell the 20" rims. I've been pretty lucky with the 19" rims on my AWD Model 3, but if I had a choice, I'd go with 18" ones that look just like them.

I just don't get why Telsa sells their cars with ridiculously huge rims that are just begging to be bent.
The P model has larger caliper so not all stock Tesla wheels will fit. For instance the 18 areo will not fit the P. I am not sure if the 19 would. There are aftermarket wheels in 18" that does fir but an individual would have to choose if they are comfortable with the warranty implications.