Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Advice after pothole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What warranty implications are not covered by Magnuson–Moss?

What warranty concerns do you feel would be covered by magnuson-moss? In the case of wheels and tires (and suspensions), magnuson-moss would only protect a person if they put in wheels / tires / suspension that are the exact same specs as the OEM ones.

If someone chooses a different size tire, a different type suspension, etc, magnuson moss wont protect you. Maybe you know that already, but magnuson moss only protects people in the following ways:

1. A manufacturer may not invalidate a warranty on non related systems. If you swap wheels to a size that is not standard, and have a problem with your computer, or the power seats mangusson moss protects you.

2. A manufacturer may not invalidate a warranty if one uses after market parts of the same specifications. If someone buys a different tire brand than the one that came on the vehicle, but they are the same size, and same speed rating, magnusson moss will protect you. If someone buys a different tire brand than the one that came with the vehicle, and they are a different size, and adds spacers, and then there is an issue with suspension, magnusson moss will not protect you.

Thanks, I don't assume anything when I see a general statement.

I am not quite understanding the issue here. Yes, I could have said "model 3" in my statement, but if I was in the model X forum in a thread about Air suspension and you said "Teslas air suspension does X" and I posted in the thread "Umm sorry my tesla doesnt have air suspension", that would be an accurate statement, but not relevant because I would be in the model X section, in a thread about air suspension on a model X.

Same thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Apone and KrenGrl
Have a 2020 Performance with 4500 miles on stock tires. Hit a giant, unavoidable friggin pothole on the Verrazano yesterday. Now I have two bubbles front and rear passenger side tires. I think the rims are okay but I guess will have to have them looked at to be sure. Was just wondering my options. Looking for the cheapest, and easiest solution basically. Should I just replace the two passenger tires with oem or is the wear going to be screwed up because the other two tires have 4500 miles. Thx bros.

replace them with an 18" wheel setup, easy fix.

What warranty concerns do you feel would be covered by magnuson-moss? In the case of wheels and tires (and suspensions), magnuson-moss would only protect a person if they put in wheels / tires / suspension that are the exact same specs as the OEM ones.

If someone chooses a different size tire, a different type suspension, etc, magnuson moss wont protect you. Maybe you know that already, but magnuson moss only protects people in the following ways:

1. A manufacturer may not invalidate a warranty on non related systems. If you swap wheels to a size that is not standard, and have a problem with your computer, or the power seats mangusson moss protects you.

2. A manufacturer may not invalidate a warranty if one uses after market parts of the same specifications. If someone buys a different tire brand than the one that came on the vehicle, but they are the same size, and same speed rating, magnusson moss will protect you. If someone buys a different tire brand than the one that came with the vehicle, and they are a different size, and adds spacers, and then there is an issue with suspension, magnusson moss will not protect you.
1. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer that the modification you made is the cause of the problem.
2. I still have not heard what problems 18" aftermarket wheels will have on the warranty. Does it need to be explicitly said that if you try to jam the wrong rim on the vehicle that it could lead to damage and void your warranty? Was anyone talking about doing such a thing? If they were, I must have missed it.

1. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer that the modification you made is the cause of the problem.
2. I still have not heard what problems 18" aftermarket wheels will have on the warranty. Does it need to be explicitly said that if you try to jam the wrong rim on the vehicle that it could lead to damage and void your warranty? Was anyone talking about doing such a thing? If they were, I must have missed it.

Which is very easy for them to do, if the part is not the same specifications of the one you replaced. There isnt any specific issue with that, unless someone starts using spacers or changing suspension, then has some issue with something in the suspension. My point was more around the fact that people think that they can just invoke "magnusson moss" and that will protect them from almost anything, and it doesnt.

They will not, because some performance models came with 18" wheel combos when they were first released.

Just happened to me on Friday in my brand new 2021 P3D, BOTH drivers' side tires popped sidewalls from a huge pothole hit. Even tried to slow down (took it at like 20mph, no chance to swerve it...) and it absolutely destroyed the tires and my front rim took a ~1cm dent. Hopefully its not busted. Tires are incredibly hard to get- with different sizes for the front and the rear tire. Really annoying. Have to wait until at least next Monday for a fix. Expensive- at that. I went ahead and bought some 18" TSportlines today...**** CA potholes.

Which is very easy for them to do, if the part is not the same specifications of the one you replaced. There isnt any specific issue with that, unless someone starts using spacers or changing suspension, then has some issue with something in the suspension. My point was more around the fact that people think that they can just invoke "magnusson moss" and that will protect them from almost anything, and it doesnt.
It's easy to say, but not to prove. Manufacturers put "warranty if sticker removed" on video game consoles and hope people think that's legally binding. It isn't. That doesn't mean manufacturers won't try to weasel out of it.

So yes, you can just invoke "Magnuson-Moss" and that will protect you from almost anything that's not obviously your fault.

Just happened to me on Friday in my brand new 2021 P3D, BOTH drivers' side tires popped sidewalls from a huge pothole hit. Even tried to slow down (took it at like 20mph, no chance to swerve it...) and it absolutely destroyed the tires and my front rim took a ~1cm dent. Hopefully its not busted. Tires are incredibly hard to get- with different sizes for the front and the rear tire. Really annoying. Have to wait until at least next Monday for a fix. Expensive- at that. I went ahead and bought some 18" TSportlines today...**** CA potholes.
Does the 2021 have the Michelin PS4S (mine is a 2020)? They’re 2 months backordered from tirerack. Insane! Still trying to figure it out.

Does the 2021 have the Michelin PS4S (mine is a 2020)? They’re 2 months backordered from tirerack. Insane! Still trying to figure it out.
It uses staggered Pirelli P-Zero summer tires, after seeing your dilemma getting ahold of PS4S I'm feeling lucky. My TSportline wheels I ordered yesterday (shipped today, due Thursday) came with PS4S on 18s for them, maybe its the 20s that make them scarce.

Have a 2020 Performance with 4500 miles on stock tires. Hit a giant, unavoidable friggin pothole on the Verrazano yesterday. Now I have two bubbles front and rear passenger side tires. I think the rims are okay but I guess will have to have them looked at to be sure. Was just wondering my options. Looking for the cheapest, and easiest solution basically. Should I just replace the two passenger tires with oem or is the wear going to be screwed up because the other two tires have 4500 miles. Thx bros.
I hit a pothole only six weeks after taking delivery. Have 2019 Long Range dual motor. It blew out the sidewall. No wheel damage. Tesla service dispached a tow truck to my location. They checked whether they had a replacement on hand first. Took car to service center (it was late at night) and picked it up the following day.

I hit a pothole only six weeks after taking delivery. Have 2019 Long Range dual motor. It blew out the sidewall. No wheel damage. Tesla service dispached a tow truck to my location. They checked whether they had a replacement on hand first. Took car to service center (it was late at night) and picked it up the following day.
Yea I’m currently outside of the 50 mile to dealership free tow range and have no spare and Tesla spare program doesn’t work in my region and I don’t want to screw up the rim even driving it a few yards to a flat bed. It’s annoying but might have to just have Tesla deal with it.