TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire age and useful life, 2013 year of manufacture

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Electricfan, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

How long should I keep the tires on my car if I just had them mounted and they were manufactured in March 2013? They have good tread, almost new.

I got them from a guy selling four of the old 5-spoke rims ($1000), which is why I bought them as Tesla doesn't make them anymore so I wanted spares. They came with tires on them. Two of the tires look brand new - one manufactured 2015, one 2016. But two are older and were made in 2013, and have slightly less tread on them. They are Goodyear Eagle TS A2 model tires. He said they came on a CPO Model S he bought, and he got new tires/rims for his car.

I found one car tire company site that said strictly based on age, tire life can be 6 - 10 years.

What does the forum think?

2. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

Depends on climate (heat and sun) and surface (pavement vs concrete). Visual inspection for cracking after 5 years, but unless in excessive environment 10 years should be ok. Try to store it parked on plastic or wood and not concrete and in a garage.

• Like x 1
  3. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

I wouldn't trust them in snow or even heavy rain.

• Like x 1
  4. Electricfan

What is bad about concrete? I get heat and sun part, but not concrete.

5. Electricfan

Is that based on age? Or the model of the tire?

6. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

Moisture and alkalai from the concrete leading to dry rot. If concrete is properly sealed will mitigate.