Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire air smell when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 2022 Model S is charging in the garage, there is sometimes a smell that I liken to how air smells when let out of a tire. Kind of a rubbery smell but not electrical. This smell isn't there all the time. However, I have detected it at times when my circuit breaker trips (220v near the panel, NEMA 15-40).

I'm wondering if I should have the electrician come back out because the breaker trips sometimes or if I should have Tesla take a look because maybe it isn't supposed to smell that way and the car might be causing the breaker to trip?

Anyone else with this issue?

If your breaker is tripping, then there is definitely a problem somewhere. Can you tell if the smell is coming from the car vs from the NEMA outlet, or from the mobile connector?

The smell doesn't appear to be coming from the outlet. It's a 3 car garage and the smell is definitely coming from the car somewhere.

Could it be that the car suddenly demands so much power that it trips the breaker? Using the Tesla app, I reduced the charging amps from 32 to 24 and that seems to make it trip less. The smell is definitely stronger with the higher amps, though.

The smell doesn't appear to be coming from the outlet. It's a 3 car garage and the smell is definitely coming from the car somewhere.

Could it be that the car suddenly demands so much power that it trips the breaker? Using the Tesla app, I reduced the charging amps from 32 to 24 and that seems to make it trip less. The smell is definitely stronger with the higher amps, though.
Yeah, something could be wrong with your onboard charger. You might want to have Tesla service take a look at it. Alternatively, you could try it on another level 2 charging station somewhere to try to rule out your home electrical setup.

Thank you. I guess I'll test out how well the app works with service appointments!
I have a service appointment scheduled for next week. I've had several exchanges with a technician on the problem and they clearly appear to be trying to get out of coming out for the appointment. I know this may not be the most expensive car out there, but it is certainly and easily the most expensive one I've owned. I would like to think that a simple service appointment would be no big deal, but...

I've not canceled the appointment. I hope they do show up.

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 66
The 50 amp circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring and NEMA outlet and is doing what it's supposed to do. I am surprised Tesla said "if it trips then get a bigger breaker". The NEMA outlet is rated at 50amps. Unfortunately you're in the middle between Tesla and electrician as they point fingers, so its up to you to manage both of them... one at a time. Tesla should be able to check amperage while charging. They should be able to check that amperage while charging can be limited by the app. I hope their procedure takes more than five minutes. On the other side ... the electrician can check amperage through the cable while charging at your home.

Reactions: HughDeo
The 50 amp circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring and NEMA outlet and is doing what it's supposed to do. I am surprised Tesla said "if it trips then get a bigger breaker". The NEMA outlet is rated at 50amps. Unfortunately you're in the middle between Tesla and electrician as they point fingers, so its up to you to manage both of them... one at a time. Tesla should be able to check amperage while charging. They should be able to check that amperage while charging can be limited by the app. I hope their procedure takes more than five minutes. On the other side ... the electrician can check amperage through the cable while charging at your home.
I’m hoping for the best but one of them actually has to look into it once instead of just speculating.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Is anything hot? like your mobile charger, charging cable, or NEMA outlet?

Nothing hot except the breaker when it trips. I'm kind of thinking the breaker is bad/flawed, but then I remember seeing semi-scorched extension cords when I was a kid that were plugged into too many Christmas lights. Can the car attempt to draw more power than the breaker is capable of and trip the breaker that way?

Nothing hot except the breaker when it trips. I'm kind of thinking the breaker is bad/flawed, but then I remember seeing semi-scorched extension cords when I was a kid that were plugged into too many Christmas lights. Can the car attempt to draw more power than the breaker is capable of and trip the breaker that way?
Normal for the breaker to be hot when it blows, unless it is from a sudden spike like a dead short. You could have a bad breaker too, but that does not explain the smell if you are sure it is coming from the car.

Did you ever find a reason as to why this is happening?

I’ve had my wall connector and 2013 model S for about a year now. My connector is inside the garage and i charge my car while it’s sitting outside the garage with the garage door closed and I’m smelling this weird tire air smell as well.

The charging cable is warm but it’s always been warm and I only smell this type of smell when it’s charging. Smells like old air coming out of a basketball.

Did you ever find a reason as to why this is happening?

I’ve had my wall connector and 2013 model S for about a year now. My connector is inside the garage and i charge my car while it’s sitting outside the garage with the garage door closed and I’m smelling this weird tire air smell as well.

The charging cable is warm but it’s always been warm and I only smell this type of smell when it’s charging. Smells like old air coming out of a basketball.
It did turn out to be a bad breaker. Electrician came back out and replaced it with no additional cost.