Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire alignment recommended with new tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. My 2019 model 3 LR RWD has 30K miles, and the technician told me the treads are worn to 3/32 and I need new tires soon/now. I've had the tires rotated about every 12K miles and they seem to feel the tires have been wearing without any abnormal wear pattern.

Regarding wheel alignment when replacing tires, looking around the internet, I see opinions ranging from "if there was no problem with the old tires, alignment is not necessary when getting new tires," to people who align tires routinely at specified mileage intervals.

The tesla maintenance schedule does not seem to make a specific recommendation for tire alignment.

Curious if people feel it's advisable to align wheels when new tires a placed?

Thanks!

Hi. My 2019 model 3 LR RWD has 30K miles, and the technician told me the treads are worn to 3/32 and I need new tires soon/now. I've had the tires rotated about every 12K miles and they seem to feel the tires have been wearing without any abnormal wear pattern.

Good, your alignment is currently fine.

Regarding wheel alignment when replacing tires, looking around the internet, I see opinions ranging from "if there was no problem with the old tires, alignment is not necessary when getting new tires," to people who align tires routinely at specified mileage intervals.

Nothing magical happens with suspension geometry at specific mileage intervals, to justify paying for an alignment.
You may hit a major pot hole (or get into an accident, or go off a cliff) and bend a wheel, or a control arm, at any time. When that happens, you will notice. And if you didn't, the uneven tire wear will give away the problem.

The tesla maintenance schedule does not seem to make a specific recommendation for tire alignment.
Curious if people feel it's advisable to align wheels when new tires a placed?

Absolutely not.
Unless you are hell-bent of throwing your money away.
In which case, I recommend you go and find some single moms who will put it to better use and provide more personalized services!

HTH,
a

If you haven't noticed any odd wear pattern when rotating your tires, you should be okay without an alignment; but, it's not a huge expense in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn't sound like you've had an alignment checked since you purchased it. I'd say it's a 50-50 decision.

If your steering wheel points straight when you go straight, and there's no abnormal wear patterns, and you've gotten 30k miles out of your old set of tires, I'd say you're safe to skip an alignment.
This! If it ain't broke... Sometimes you take it in for an alignment and it comes out worse. At one time I would drive the 50 or so miles to Waukegan Illinois to get an alignment because of a wizard in their employ.

There are techs that'll get it "to spec" and those that will get it right.

Reactions: XPsionic
Yep! Not many shops will align the car so every single reading is bang in the middle of the "allowed specs". Had my fair share of experience with shops that don't. They get whatever value is showing red into the green and next thing you know the car's pulling one way or another.

For some higher end cars, the alignment procedure calls for a set amount of weight to put in the driver's seat to ensure proper suspension sag... not a lot of shops would bother doing it properly, that's for sure.

Reactions: rpiotro