Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire and rim question for MYP 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I am a complete noob when it comes to cars. I have browsed on the forums and to my knowledge, it I change out the factor 21 inch ubertine tires with 19 inch wheels, my ride will be smoother? If this is correct, does anyone have 19inch or 20 inch tires/wheels that they would recommend? Is it hard to sell or trade the stock 21 inch ubertine tires? Any input would be amazing.

If you'd like to drop the unsprung weight by nearly 40 pounds on each corner and have a massively transformed car do what I did:

20" Zink ENTERPRISE Fully-Forged Wheel for Tesla Model Y - Carbon Black

Then on all four corners: Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 275/40ZR20

They fit perfectly, nothing rubs and your cornering will be mind boggling compared to stock.

As a bonus, you no longer have staggered wheels and can rotate your tires.
IMG_0278.jpg

Check on Craigs List, eBay for used Tesla 19" Gemini wheels or 20" Induction wheels. These weigh out about the same with tires, much lighter than the 21" Induction wheels.

For aftermarket wheels consider Martian and TSportline.

If you purchase wheels you will need to swap your tire pressure sensors to the new wheels, else purchase new sensors from the Tesla store,

Martian: Wheels for Model Y

TSportline: T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Aftermarket Upgrade Accessories

I have no affiliation with either, or Tesla.

Tires are a different topic.

Reactions: Charles415
Just so you know, Don't expect some magical drastic change in ride quality by switching the Stock 21 wheels/tires with a 19" wheel and tire combo. The Model Y uses XL rated load range tires and their going to be a stiff sidewall whatever size you get, as well the suspension has a major factor in the firmness of the ride. I know this because I have the 21" wheels/tires and run a 19" set for winter tires on my MYP.

Reactions: SWIPE
Just so you know, Don't expect some magical drastic change in ride quality by switching the Stock 21 wheels/tires with a 19" wheel and tire combo. The Model Y uses XL rated load range tires and their going to be a stiff sidewall whatever size you get, as well the suspension has a major factor in the firmness of the ride. I know this because I have the 21" wheels/tires and run a 19" set for winter tires on my MYP.
Would you say the money is worth the smooth ride experience from going to 21 to 19s? I would have to buy a whole new set of wheels and tires. I’m also looking at the MPP coilers as well.

Reactions: Charles415
I changed to 19" wheels for better tire selection and to get a square set up so i can rotate tires. I didn't drive the car much with the stock 21 wheels but I can say the 19s still ride stiff. This is not a luxury sport suspension ride. I ended up buying a 19" set up for 2k and sold the stock set up for 2.3k so easy deal. I ended up getting the tire pressure sensors for free from tesla as a courtesy. Without that I would have been at a zero cost swap. Make sure you know what you are doing with the sensors if you are buying on line as nobody seems to carry tesla sensors and you will have to pay tesla to install them if you buy your wheels with tires already mounted without the correct sensors.

The 21's though heavy are actually surprisingly efficient.
Biggest benefit I see to the 19's or 20's is the ability to rotate tires.
This ^^

The 21's are hard and thin so they have very low rolling resistance. While it sounds cool to drop a bunch of unsprung weight and have thicker tires for comfort, I wonder how the increased rolling resistance of smaller wheel/larger tires would realistically change the efficiency.

If someone just wanted softer tires then I'm sure whatever change in efficiency there is wouldn't matter. But for me, I am just curious if there is a difference

Did switching to 19” wheel reduce road rumble noise getting in to cabin?

Would you say the money is worth the smooth ride experience from going to 21 to 19s? I would have to buy a whole new set of wheels and tires. I’m also looking at the MPP coilers as well.
Cheap solution, put the 275,s from rear on front and get 295,35, 21 for rear. They say helps with curbing protection and can slightly reduced pressure some some ride benefits.

My 19's are winter snow tires, so no, definitely no reduction in road noise with my winter set. If anything a little more road noise.
Thanks for the info that your tires are specifically for winter snow. Since I am in a hot part of Southern California I definitely would be getting different tires. My MYP came with all season tires. Occasionally I go to the snowy areas of California.