Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blew Out on PLAID - 1.5 month wait on tires ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear tire blew out on my PLAID the other day and I took it to Tesla for a replacement.
Tesla is now telling me they do not have a tire for the car for 1+ month and im stuck stranded without a car. They wont even give me a loaner saying there is nothing.

They are taking this specific tire and using it to deliver new cars but not taking care of existing customers…. How is this acceptable?

The rear tire blew out on my PLAID the other day and I took it to Tesla for a replacement.
Tesla is now telling me they do not have a tire for the car for 1+ month and im stuck stranded without a car. They wont even give me a loaner saying there is nothing.

They are taking this specific tire and using it to deliver new cars but not taking care of existing customers…. How is this acceptable?
Man, that sucks. What happened? How many miles on the tire? Abnormal wear, nail, pot hole ... details ease. Do the other tires look good?

Tires are not proprietary magic and I have never ever bought a tire from a dealer. I would buy a tire that is more or less that size and there should be plenty of tires available if you expand size. 275/285/295 should all work well and you can also change aspect ratio slightly and go from 30 to 35 if you go down to 255 or 265. You can use Tire Size Calculator to ensure the overall diameter of the tire remains the same as stock size. On tire rack, you can pick any brand tire then go to sizes and they will show you all the various sizes that tire comes in. Tirerack does home installs (as does discount tire) so they will bring you the tire you purchase and install on your driveway.

Pick two in a close enough size and you should be good to go (two tires because you may want to replace both rears to have an evenly matched pair).

Last edited:
Sup Nav? It’s Stoyans buddy from the east coast with the plaid. Just saw you at car week.

Mine has 11k miles on it and the tires are ok but tons of posts on here lately about inner rear tire failures then long waits on new tires. Seems like I should just order a set.

Falken has that size tires available But they are not with foam inside, some people reported that they are noisy.

There is a thread about tire issues with 21” Plaid 21”rear tire woes - factory defect?

Had the same issue, bought a set of 19 tempest with the pirellis on eBay, very happy as there are plenty of option on that size wheel.
This.

If it’s for aesthetics though and Yknow…getting the car running….just get the foam less

Not that’s it’s helpful but Porsche was having a lot of trouble replacing Taycan Turbo 21” tires too. Very long wait. I think I’m going to order a set for the Plaid and just store them. I’ll first wait until they seem in stock in several places so I’m not hurting someone that needs them quickly. I mean after all, it’s not like I’m going to resell them for profit.

Lesson learned. Buy a spare tire and keep it on hand. I have the kit from Modern Spare, because I know it will be days before I can get a spare for my 19" 2020 Tesla Tires in Kentucky. Hope I never use the spare, but I have it.