Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blow Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think it is about the Tesla's tires that make them more expensive? The speed and weight rating?
1. The lower the aspect ratio and the higher the performance of a tire, the more it costs. And the cost increase is not linear.

2. The market for high performance tires is smaller than the market for standard tires.

3. R&D costs are similar or greater than R&D costs for standard tires, but are spread over a fewer number of tires.

4. Because Tesla is not in the tire business, they do not have aggressive tire pricing (Applies only if you purchase the tires from Tesla).

So if money was an object and you shopped around a little bit, you most likely wouldn't get your tires from Tesla?

I don't trust any auto shop outside of Tesla (or dealer service in general) to provide a new tire. I had a very unfortunate scam experience from a 3rd party auto shop a few years ago. Cost me over $5k in repairs on my old Cadilllac CTS.

I could say my experience is similar to this:
But Homer got 4 new tires for $600, not bad....

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: vandacca
So if money was an object and you shopped around a little bit, you most likely wouldn't get your tires from Tesla?
Yes. I just take the wheels (with the worn out tires) to the tire store and all they do is replace the tires. Having two sets of wheels is handy for more than just winter/summer changing.

And it's not only cost, it's also the road hazard warranty that the larger chain tire shops (like Discount Tire) provide. Also Tesla may not carry the type of tire I want (e.g. WR-g3 for winter).

Does Tesla offer tire price matching? Looks like American tire is at a cheaper $350 compared to Tesla's $430.

The Tesla Centinela SC matched Costco's tire price for the 21" wheels, which at the time happened to be a bit less than tire rack. Tesla said that they don't do price matching any more, but they did it in my case.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
The Tesla Centinela SC matched Costco's tire price for the 21" wheels, which at the time happened to be a bit less than tire rack. Tesla said that they don't do price matching any more, but they did it in my case.
If Tesla offered a road hazard warranty, that would be great. Unfortunately, for those of us prone to picking up nails, purchasing tires from Tesla is not in our best interest.

Discount Tire is known as American Tire in California. I haven't gone through the reimbursement process yet as I'm waiting to get my car back. When they first examined the tire and felt it couldn't be repaired, they immediately ordered a replacement tire that would've been free. They said I could take it to Tesla but I gave them the chance to replace it. The tire wasn't delivered before my scheduled SC appointment so I ended up having Tesla handle it.

Yes, they offer the warranty certificates on existing tires. I got the certificates for all original tires. A friend got the same coverage when he had them mount his original tires on aftermarket wheels.

I haven't read this but it might be what you've looking for: Certificate for Refund or Replacement - Discount Tire Direct

I notice the text says the tire must be purchased from them but they will sell coverage on existing tires. Perhaps there is a slightly different certificate for that. Might want to give them a call for more info.

Since Model X is AWD, is it ok to replace 1 tire or need to replace all 4 tires together? I got a nail in my tire and plan to bring to Discount Tire/American Tire and considering buying this certificate. But am afraid that if just one tire go bad, would need to purchase 4 tires and thus certificate would not be that helpful.

Last edited:
Nothing more than my educated WAG ...
The all wheel drive is really driving 2 sets of wheels. Each set of wheels is completely independent, so I don't think there should be any need to replace tires in groups of 4, although it certainly won't hurt to do so. Groups of 2 probable if there is decent wear on the remaining member of that set.

I know that when my P85D picked up a screw, the Service Center shipped me a single tire to replace that one. I did only have ~ 10K of driving on it, so it's a blurry data point.

Nothing more than my educated WAG ...
The all wheel drive is really driving 2 sets of wheels. Each set of wheels is completely independent, so I don't think there should be any need to replace tires in groups of 4, although it certainly won't hurt to do so. Groups of 2 probable if there is decent wear on the remaining member of that set.

The reason for groups of four is handling (assumes non-staggered setup). Also tires are a lot like wallpaper--if you don't get them from the same batch there will be differences. In wallpaper you can see the colour difference. With tires, the tire manufacturers silently change the tires, so the handing can be quite different.