TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire Burn

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SabrToothSqrl, May 9, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

So... I love that my car burns no gas, but I'm growing annoyed with burning through tires.

My car came with Goodyear RS-A2s on it, and being that they worked well and are cheap, I'm on another set.

Well, my rears are now 1/2 worn out, and I'm becoming a bit annoyed...

I'm looking now at the Pirelli Centuato's which have a 700 treadwear rating, and are rated better.. pretty much every where.
    They appear to have a 70k treadlife warranty... anyone tested that?

upload_2016-5-9_12-36-17.png

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=445VR9CP7ASP

I'm not too worried about winter traction, I have a beater AWD I can take any time. Just looking for better grip and tread life since installing a $100 tire is the same price as installing a $250 tire...

What do you guys think? Running anything that holds up to heavy use of the GO pedal?

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

how many miles?

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

To the OP, have you had an alignment done recently? Also, do you have 21 in. wheels?

4. SabrToothSqrl

Alignment was 5 months ago, the car drives strait. Tire wear is uniform and flat. But with 360 HP and RWD, and rear only regen, they sure seem to lose tread depth fast.

Tires were put on around Nov. I'll check front vs. rear with a depth gauge when I get home...

Looks like the Pirelles are the way to go, even at $100 each more, the long term cost will be less with less tire swaps (and hassle) I plastidip the face and barrel of my wheels, and have to peel it all off to have new tires put on...

5. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Also another thing to check would be the wheel balancing.

I agree on the Pirelli tires too; some others on this forum have been satisfied with theirs. Also, 70k is a very good guarantee.

6. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

make sure that your alignment is correct. Hate to say it, but just because it was done does not mean it is correct. Make sure that the toe is within spec and as centered as much as possible in the range.

• Like x 1
  7. Zextraterrestrial

How many miles do you get on As2 tires?
    I did 15k.(lots of fun on the way to work ) Have Pzero Nero now since they were 98$ each at the end of last year on tire rack

8. SabrToothSqrl

I don't really know, I didn't keep track very well... I just know that on my Tahoe I'd get 60,000 out of tires. Now I feel like I'm replacing them yearly, and only driving around 14,000 a year!

I like everything about the Good Year RSA-2s, except the wear.

I'm concerned that going to the better wear tires, will increase road noise or make grip worse.

However the P7s seem to be better across the board...

9. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I'm going to stretch my Goodyears through the end of the summer though they really should be replaced. Enough tread on the rears but light on the front. 3 years now but snows in the winter. Total mileage on the Goodyears at 27k miles.

I have a set of four more Goodyears in my basement that were on the spare wheels I'm using for my winter setup and they'll go on next spring. Not the greatest tires in world but good enough for my needs and the price is right.