Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire chain recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, we’re driving from the East Bay to Tahoe in a few weeks with our 75D model S with 19in tires. Was wondering if tire chains are recommended for the drive (I’d imagine so) and which chains people use? We don’t go often so chances are we’d only use once or twice.

Thanks.

Good idea to have them, at least for the back.

I'm looking at "Z-chains" (low clearance) but not sure they'll clear the control arms.

Tesla wants over $300 for official chains but they've got to be much cheaper under the manufacturer's name.

Last edited:
Here is the short of it....

You should check with CalTrans for status.

Normal - any car can travel.
R1 - AWD or ”2wd car with winter tires” or else use chains
R2 - AWD with winter tires or else any cars with chains.
R3 - usually road is closed.

Be aware, just make sure you have enough rubber on your all season tires.... IMO, anything less than 8/32 is near not snow ready for all season tires. You could, but I would not.

You will quite likely not need them. That said, per the letter of the law, you must carry them.

Given the recent experience of @sorka, I’d probably not risk it with anything other than the official chains Tesla sells. But they’re quite expensive, and again, you’ll likely never use them in an AWD car with decent all season tires.

There was an earlier thread about chains damaging part of the suspension on an S. If I was to use chains, I’d go the official Tesla product even though it is more expensive. Anyway I’d have a look at that thread before deciding.

Hi all,
I'm considering a trip from Los Angeles to Tahoe in December and was researching snow chains for my 2015 Model S 85D with 19" tires (Michelin Primacy size 245/45 R19). I'm having trouble locating the official (and expensive) Tesla snow chains and my Google Fu has lead me to chains made by Taptes in Hong Kong. Unfortunately there are no reviews so I'm hesitant to buy. Has anyone used these before and speak to their quality?

Snow Tire Chain for Model S (Set for 2 Wheels)

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Hi all,
I'm considering a trip from Los Angeles to Tahoe in December and was researching snow chains for my 2015 Model S 85D with 19" tires (Michelin Primacy size 245/45 R19). I'm having trouble locating the official (and expensive) Tesla snow chains and my Google Fu has lead me to chains made by Taptes in Hong Kong. Unfortunately there are no reviews so I'm hesitant to buy. Has anyone used these before and speak to their quality?

Snow Tire Chain for Model S (Set for 2 Wheels)

Thanks for any help.
Mike
Hi Mike,

I have bought one. It's kind of great. But have not installed them on. But looks nice.