Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Chain Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to the snow tire thread - does anyone have any recommendations on Snow chains for the Model Y?

Mine are the 19" Geminis, so I assume clearance isn't too much of an issue. Tesla doesn't sell any chains for the Model Y as far as I know, interested in what thoughts others have.

To be clear, I'm also getting snow tires, but regulations require you carry tire chains even if you satisfy R2 chain control levels in California.

Thanks! The website doesn't list the Tesla Model Y though
upload_2020-10-6_10-34-10.png

Although I assume anything that fits 255/45R19 will work. I'm aware these are recommended for the Model S, but they're pricey and a bit complicated to install.

Am interested in other options as well.

Thanks! The website doesn't list the Tesla Model Y thoughView attachment 595864

Although I assume anything that fits 255/45R19 will work. I'm aware these are recommended for the Model S, but they're pricey and a bit complicated to install.

Am interested in other options as well.

Yes any chain for that tire size will work. You can click on I can’t find my car and enter 255/45/19. There are several different chain styles with videos on how they work. The more traditional models are much cheaper than the K Summit model that the Tesla store has.

König XD-16 245- https://www.amazon.com/KONIG-XG-12-PRO-Snow-chains/dp/B002LF7GYK

König XG-12 PRO 245- https://www.amazon.com/KONIG-XG-12-PRO-Snow-chains/dp/B002LF7GYK

I bought Konig XG-12 Pro 252 from Tesla for my Model Y. But they only go on the rear wheels. Apparently the front wheels/tires (standards) have too little clearance for chains to be usable. So questions: Will I be able to steer? How much traction on the front will be lost? Could doing an 'off road' lift of a couple inches give me the clearance to put another set of chains on the front? So far the only information seems to be Tesla sells chains and there're those video clips from Alaska of the Y and 3 zipping and some drifting that have been used everywhere, over and over again.
I have driven in snow, but can't tell if my Model Y did anything better or worse than an old ICE car.

I bought Konig XG-12 Pro 252 from Tesla for my Model Y. But they only go on the rear wheels. Apparently the front wheels/tires (standards) have too little clearance for chains to be usable. So questions: Will I be able to steer? How much traction on the front will be lost? Could doing an 'off road' lift of a couple inches give me the clearance to put another set of chains on the front? So far the only information seems to be Tesla sells chains and there're those video clips from Alaska of the Y and 3 zipping and some drifting that have been used everywhere, over and over again.
I have driven in snow, but can't tell if my Model Y did anything better or worse than an old ICE car.
Yes, under most circumstances you'll be able to steer just fine. Tesla recommends only the rear wheels be chained, I believe. Remember you have power in the front wheels that will pull you into a turn under most conditions, but you have to use good sense.

Any feedback on how these worked out? I've seen elsewhere that these have scratched the 20" Induction wheels.

I cannot help you with the K66 XXL chains, I think they will fit perfectly.
I have 19" Gemini's with 255/45R19 Nokian Winter tires and bought first the XG-12 Pro 245.
On their site it mentions that they will fit, but they definitely don't fit correctly.
I am assuming this because they Gemini rim is slightly wider?

Now I have the XG-12 Pro 252 and they fit perfectly. Not driven with them yet, so cannot say they will scratch my rims.
When I just put them on the fitment looks good, so I don't think they will scratch. For the 20" I don't know.

I cannot help you with the K66 XXL chains, I think they will fit perfectly.
I have 19" Gemini's with 255/45R19 Nokian Winter tires and bought first the XG-12 Pro 245.
On their site it mentions that they will fit, but they definitely don't fit correctly.
I am assuming this because they Gemini rim is slightly wider?

Now I have the XG-12 Pro 252 and they fit perfectly. Not driven with them yet, so cannot say they will scratch my rims.
When I just put them on the fitment looks good, so I don't think they will scratch. For the 20" I don't know.
Dang I just bought what I thought were XG-12 Pro 252s from TireChain.com but when I received them today, they’re actually the 245s. Heading to the snow (Tahoe) in 3 days 😒.

Is it even worth trying the 245s on Geminis or just leave them in the case and try to return them?

How/where did you get the 252s? I spent like an hour looking online and couldn’t find them anywhere (except TireChain.com which I was wrong about).

Dang I just bought what I thought were XG-12 Pro 252s from TireChain.com but when I received them today, they’re actually the 245s. Heading to the snow (Tahoe) in 3 days 😒.

Is it even worth trying the 245s on Geminis or just leave them in the case and try to return them?

How/where did you get the 252s? I spent like an hour looking online and couldn’t find them anywhere (except TireChain.com which I was wrong about).
Aw that's a pity... you can try them if you have them, but on my Nokian 255/45R19 tires they are way too small.
I almost couldn't attach the hook and they are completely out of center.

I am from Belgium, but in Europe they were also quite difficult to get or way too expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_3808.jpeg
    IMG_3808.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 156
After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw4A5DAC9A-521C-4824-8F2F-B7E551B9E16E.jpeg