TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire Change in the GTA

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Munch, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Munch

Munch Member

For those that have gone through winter(s) in the GTA, where have you gotten your tires changed? I'm thinking my usual local cash only garage that I take my other car would not be the ideal place for the 3. Where have you had good experiences where the equipment is able to lift a Tesla at the jackpoints and the staff know what they are doing.

Anyone have any experience with any of the Costcos, particularly the Richmond Hill and Markham one?

2. Ludatik

Ludatik Member

Serious question because I don't know - is there anything special about the jack points for the Model 3?

3. pcons

pcons Active Member

Try this:

• Helpful x 1
  4. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

The Costcos are not a good option unless you have a lot of time to kill. You have to line up at 6-7am and if you are lucky you will get a time slot for that same evening. I just don't get how in this day and age they can't schedule appointments like anyone else

• Like x 1
  5. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Anyone with a 3D printer can make one. PM me if you'd like one, takes a night to print (8hours) at 100% fill.

I've printed two already; consider donating to the original creator :)

Tesla Model 3 jack pad by jonco223

• Helpful x 1
  6. Ludatik

Ludatik Member

In my previous cars, I've always had separate rims for my winter tires. If you don't want to do it yourself or don't have the equipment, there are mobile services that will come to your home to do the changeover. I have found this to be super convenient. Of course, you do need to store your rims/tires at home.

7. yyzbig6

yyzbig6 Member

FYI - I got this reply from Tesla Lawrence while inquiring about winter tires and wheels:

We are referring people this year to a new service provider for seasonal tire swaps. Go tire. They will do tire swaps on site at the location of your choosing. They can be reached at 1-866-632-0477, or New Tesla Lead Page | GoTire.​

• Informative x 1
  8. Shaz

Shaz Member

I go to wheelsco.ca , located in Vaughan. I don't have a Model 3 but I bring my Model X there, so far no complaints.

9. yyzbig6

yyzbig6 Member

#9 yyzbig6, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    I'm considering keeping wheels and just changing tires and they quoted $140+tax and includes balancing.

Although this is a mobile service, they also provide tire storage for a fee.

• Informative x 1
  10. Ludatik

Ludatik Member

That's actually not too bad. I usually pay about $50 for changeover with tires on rims already. An additional $90 for mounting and balancing all 4 tires/wheels at your home is pretty good. Alternatively, you could buy some cheap winter steelies and save yourself ~$90 per change.

11. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Will the winter steels work with the weight?

12. pcons

pcons Active Member

Why wouldn't they work? Worst case they may cause a tiny bit more range loss, but after 4 years with steel rims on an EV I've never had an issue.

Only thing is I'm not sure about finding ones that have the clearances due the model 3. I've usually bought mine at Costco, and they don't have compatible ones listed right now.