Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Change on 2019 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Have a 2019 Model X. 44K miles on it. I have had all 4 of my tires changed at the dealer (at 22K miles rear, and 30K miles front). They charged around $1200 each time. Just went in to get the shaft issue fixed and they said all 4 tires need changing again - fronts are 3/32 and rears are 4/32. Wear is fairly even. I understand that the Tesla model X eats tires but this seems a bit excessive (especially just 14K miles later on the fronts. They also quoted the price of $1600 just for the fronts with an alignment at $400 (total was $2K). This seems like a lot as well. Is there a trusted service shop you have used for tire change (not the dealer) in the Northern Virginia?

Hi all,

Have a 2019 Model X. 44K miles on it. I have had all 4 of my tires changed at the dealer (at 22K miles rear, and 30K miles front). They charged around $1200 each time. Just went in to get the shaft issue fixed and they said all 4 tires need changing again - fronts are 3/32 and rears are 4/32. Wear is fairly even. I understand that the Tesla model X eats tires but this seems a bit excessive (especially just 14K miles later on the fronts. They also quoted the price of $1600 just for the fronts with an alignment at $400 (total was $2K). This seems like a lot as well. Is there a trusted service shop you have used for tire change (not the dealer) in the Northern Virginia?
I purchased these: Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season
from tirerack and they shipped them to my local Firestone 'partner'. Suspect they have partners in your area.
This was my setup with wider rims on the rear ... hence the 275s.
Front 265/45ZR20 108Y XL UTQG: 640 B A
Rear 275/45ZR20 110Y XL UTQG: 640 B A

vUtn8PH.jpg

Upvote 0
Same issue with my 2019 MX. Installed the N2itive Camber adjust and lowering kit and put the CrossClimate2s on the car last week. The car drives great and my hope is that the new tires combined with the lowering/camber adjustment will get me 40-50 K before the next tire change!

Upvote 0
Thanks all, really appreciate the recommendations for the tires and the Camber adjustment. Looking into both, also found a place in Vienna that does a lot of tires for Teslas and charge less than half of what Tesla Service Center Charges. Will post about my experience once complete.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
I purchased these: Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season
from tirerack and they shipped them to my local Firestone 'partner'. Suspect they have partners in your area.
This was my setup with wider rims on the rear ... hence the 275s.
Front 265/45ZR20 108Y XL UTQG: 640 B A
Rear 275/45ZR20 110Y XL UTQG: 640 B A

vUtn8PH.jpg
Quick question on non-OEM tires, did you notice a noise level change compared to the OEM Continentals?

Upvote 0
You WILL need aftermarket (Macsboost Racing / N2itive / etc) camber arms to solve the problems with the factory setup. The reason the camber is so terrible... Is Elon is a child. These are set up from the factory as if every driver is going to take them for an autocross every weekend, so they have purely ridiculous camber of as much as -4 degrees. There MAY also be excessive toe, which will hurt efficiency as well as munching tires.

The other thing they did was spec a tire with Treadwear 220 - which might as well be made of soft butter for how quickly they melt away. Even SNOW TIRES aren't usually that low! (FYI, snows aren't technically rated for treadwear b/c they usually have no mileage warranty at all b/c of how soft they are)

There's a set of Crossclimate2 in the future for my MX, my family has 3 cars already (two MS Teslas) wearing them and VERY happy all around.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and henderrj
Upvote 0
Audi dealer does my tire changes. I figure they have the $ to fix things if they mess it up.

I'll update this thread sometime late summer with more wear info.

Upvote 0
Costco will happily work on a Tesla, the problem is if you want to change the size or have anything that would be considered non-stock, they will immediately lose their minds turning themselves into pretzels to find ways to not help you.

What is more obnoxious on the model S, is that the (rare) stock size is available, and is $50 more per tire than the exact same tire that is only 10 mm narrower. 10 mm is less than half the width of your thumb. On a tire that is 10 inches wide, it doesn’t change a single thing about the performance. But that size was selected initially because Elon is a child who only wants people coming to give HIM money for a “rare” size.

So at least initially, you may have to purchase them from tire rack and have them installed by a “partner“ tire shop who will work with customer supplied tires. After that, you can go to Costco the next time because they will happily match anything that is already on the vehicle.

One good thing about tire rack, is there price for the actual tires is exactly the same as what Costco charges. Costco is an easier process for road hazard but you can find the same $20 per tire installation at some of the partner shops. They want the business, they are starting to really offer some competition and are a lot less obnoxious about “non-standard“ tire sizes.

Upvote 0
So at least initially, you may have to purchase them from tire rack and have them installed by a “partner“ tire shop who will work with customer supplied tires. After that, you can go to Costco the next time because they will happily match anything that is already on the vehicle.
That’s less than optimal. Big deal about Costco, they rotate and balance for free. But only if you buy tires from them.
Of well, that’s a nicety that can wait.

Upvote 0
That’s less than optimal. Big deal about Costco, they rotate and balance for free. But only if you buy tires from them.
Of well, that’s a nicety that can wait.
Yeah, Costco's stance is more than a bit obnoxious, they are clearly being run by the lawyers instead of anyone with even a moderate amount of common sense.

Even as I sit here wearing a Kirkland logo T-shirt and have been a member for close to 25 years.... I'm not happy with the tire shop and have certainly had issues with them. I HAD hoped to get Costco to do the tires on my Tesla, b/c other than Wal-mart, they are kinda the only nationwide tire service center option and I travel a LOT. Having them as an option if I needed a flat fixed in Toledo would be nice, but oh well.

My current set of the Michelin Crossclimate2 came from Tire Rack and were installed by Mavis Tires, which is at best a regional chain. My sister's MS got the same tires from Tire Rack and were installed by a mobile installer that TR had on their list - that was nice, and since she doesn't travel outside her area much, works for her. Tire Rack is working it HARD to compete on a national level though, and some places (Firestone, Discount Tire, etc) are willing to do flat fixing or rotations for either free or very low cost, so Costco isn't really pushing anything super special here.

For someone like me who likes to have their own toys..... Costco's stance might just push me into buying my own QuickJack set and maybe even a mounting machine. Muahahhaa.

Upvote 0
Well, rotating is not a big deal. I won’t mind paying something reasonable for it. But the balancing is a different story, last I checked it was 70-100 bucks. That would add up, doing it every 7k. And when it’s free, it’s always well aligned.

I see Costco list the XClimates with Tesla sizes. As out of stock. Is it a permanent thing?

Upvote 0
Most places that mount them will include the balancing along with - so that should solve that problem.

Costco DOES carry the "stock" size for Tesla of the Crossclimate2, but they are $50 more per tire than the more common (slightly narrower) size.... And they are shockingly popular anyway - that's why they aren't in stock, b/c they are great winter tires. Possibly the only all-season tire I have ever tried, where they don't suck equally in all seasons.

Upvote 0