TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire change over to winter in Toronto area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jamesspice, Oct 1, 2019.

1. jamesspice

jamesspice Member

hello,

We are looking to order in some tires and rims and are wondering what garages may be able to swap the winter wheels onto the model 3. Does anybody have experience with this or know if Costco or candian tire could do it? Thanks

2. Stretch2727

Stretch2727 Engineer and Car Nut

#2 Stretch2727, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    I would either have Tesla do it or do yourself if you are buying the tires and rims online. There are special jacking pucks to lift the cars. Too many 3rd party shops have the guy that claims he knows how to do it but high cost of battery damage makes it too risky in my opinion. Tesla's are a rare bird for them. Even when I had a tire leak I took the tire/rim off and took it too them so they were no where near my car.

You can buy the jack, pucks and wheel/tire set online. I did this last year myself. There are many video's on youtube. I am assuming you are buying a winter tire rim package.

Here is one video.

• Like x 1
  3. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Had mine placed on rims and balanced at Kal Tire - bought Nokians from them along with TPMS x4. Good team at the Keele location.

4. Doctor X

Doctor X Member

I’ve had it done at Costco, no issues whatsoever.

5. AzorAhai

AzorAhai Member

I have a Model S I bought the Rims here on TMC, Can find many 19's Slipstreams or Split 5 spoke for under $1000 USD. Got mine for $450 (Rims only) in Michigan (a Days drive back and forth to get them) Got the TPMS from Amazon, and got the Tires at Canadian Tire in Cambridge. You just give them the heads up about the mounting points and you are good to go. Many cars have specific mounting points on the Frame of the car so Teslas are not special in this regard.

6. Techniques

Techniques Member

I went to Tirecraft, and it was to swap all season tires onto new rims. They have done a fair amount of Tesla tire change overs in my area, no problems with them.

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

I used to have Tesla do it but they encouraged their customers to use Go tire who comes to your house and does it in your driveway. This is what I do now - they charge about $100. This also makes it easier to store the tires at home, assuming that you have the room to do that.

• Like x 2
  8. Munch

Munch Member

Anyone have experience with the new Richmond Hill Kal Tire location? I used to go to the Creditstone location in Vaughan and they were great.

9. xG35

xG35 Member

$100, Holy! I have been using an autoshop in Markham for $30 or $35.

10. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Yeah, but then Go Tire will come to you as they are a mobile service. If you have a shop close to you or can go someplace you trust go ahead. The convenience of not having to drag wheels around to get the job done is better for me. Of course, there will be someone who has the equipment (jack, long-arm torque wrench, etc) to get most things done shy of balancing.

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

Totally! Plus my time has value - having them come to my house means I spend about 5 minutes of my time on tire changeover.

• Like x 1
  12. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Active Member

I would not recommend GO Tire. Very poor service from them last year.
    KAL Tire is a sponsor of www.ontario.teslaownersclub.ca
    Highly recommended.

• Like x 1
  13. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Active Member

Vaughan was closed down for undercutting other KAL Tire sorts. They are corporate locations.

14. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Agreed. Found on George's car over torqued wheel nuts which were deformed.

15. McDMan

McDMan Member

Tesla in Vancouver won't even do Tire Swaps anymore. Here is what they messaged back after I made my online appointment:

Hello, apologies for the inconvenience but due to the increase of appointments at our Service Center, we do not perform seasonal wheel swaps or storing. We work with a third party company, Hermont Group that provides this service. You can can contact them at [email protected] or 604-475-0455 and they will book you in accordingly, in the mean time I will cancel your appointment, thank you for your patience!

The Hermont Group is a mobile service as well charging $120 a swap!! I guess I could go to Costco but I'd rather Telsa do it.

16. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

o.0 Pay me 80$ and I'll come to your house with all the tools - weekends only :p

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Munch

Munch Member

So the new Vaughan location isn't the same folks from the old Creditstone location?

18. HAHAyes

HAHAyes Follow me @teslaintoronto

Has anyone tried T1 Motorsports? Saw an ad on kijiji and the prices seem pretty reasonable

19. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

+1 for Kal Tire (I do mine at the one on Kipling in Etobicoke). Old manager there was awesome but he left for the Vaughan location.

I store my tires, wifey's tires and my father's tires at the same location and their service has been great. My only issue with them has been:

1. They can't seem to program wifey's TPMS on her RX properly; and

2. When I wanted to 3 season tires, they said it would be about a 3 week wait to get the tires I wanted (Yokohama Avid Ascend GT) and tires23 was able to get them the next day at the lowest price. :(

20. Chetanh

Chetanh Member

Anyone used COSTCO on heartland (mississauga)? Any feedback? any other installers west GTA (Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Milton, KW) that people can recommend. (i am thinking if i buy tires and rims online)