Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Changes at what miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With pressures at 51 PSI two tires made it to almost 50k miles the other two were out by 40k when I disabled auto lowering because it was scrubbing the insides of the tires.

I marked the actual miles in the trip meter before my service center infuriatingly reset my lifetime and tire counters. (I updated the names with the miles each change and after the battery swap [and meter reset] named the lifetime to battery lifetime) will check next time I'm in the car

2016 S90D

Changed my first Michelin MXM4+ at 55000 miles. On my second set(Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ now with 35000 miles and still look good.

I don't blast off the line but I don't hold back either. On/off ramps I will push to the limit because I can. Very little actual brake use for whatever difference that makes. The car is treated like a Luxury utility vehicle: compost; dishwasher; sundry furniture; light fixtures; etc. Don't know how that may affect tire wear but thought I would throw it out there. Plus, for a year and a half, Michigan roads frequently.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
@Ciaopec Would love to hear your thoughts on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ versus the Primacy tires. I believe my driving style is similar to yours. Which tire do you prefer? What will you replace the current set with? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@Dukeybootie I like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. They are designed for exotic sports cars according to one site. What's more exotic or sporty than a Tesla? I think they corner better and they have a higher speed rating (I know: that's like looking for a food item that expires in 2 years and 3 months instead of one that expires in 1 year and 11 months when I know it will be consumed in less than 30 days). The higher speed rating some how gives me greater confidence. They both sell within a few dollars of each other at Costco.

The Model S and I believe the Model X have a fixed camber on the rear wheels. If you don't do tire rotations, you end up wearing the inner side of the tire out faster.
Got those pirelli's as well as new tires. Let's see how long they last.

I had those and didn't like them at all. They didn't last longer than the Michelin MXM4. They had worse traction, and the ride wasn't as good. I hope they will do better on your car. I think Pirelli is a great brand, but those tires and the Model S don't go together.

For those who put 40K+ miles on their tires, you guys never do jackrabbit 0-45mph in the stoplight? My guess is you guys take the slow acceleration almost always.

Not always (see post #28). I have fun with the car but not every start is 0-45. I just assumed the high milage was because I keep the pressure set and checked with nitrogen, rotate on schedule, and I have a D model.

Not that I need to worry about tires for more than a year, but what are the current thoughts on 3rd party (ie not from Tesla) tires.
The Tesla tires have that foam on the inside. Do any other tires have that? Does anyone miss it?

S75 RWD, with original Goodyear tires, rotated around 12k, right rear tires almost bald at 14k miles, two front tires look like have another 15k miles left.

A Costco guy suggested to me that particular tire might be unbalanced from factory although I don't feel its unbalanced. Does someone else had similar experience? If I should make a tread life warranty claim, do I go to Tesla service center or call Goodyear?

My original Michelin MXM4 went 41k, so I replaced with the identical brand and model. I’m a smooth driver, rarely punch it, and carefully maintain 45PSI.
I just replaced mine at 42K. They probably could have gone another 5-8K, but I didn’t want to go on a long trip with only 3-4 mm of tread left.

Our 2012 S P85 initially burned through tires much faster than every 25K miles (likely too many fast starts and taking turns to aggressively...).

For our 2017 S 100D, we just replaced our first set of tires at our 25K mile maintenance visit, though we might have been able to stretch those tires a few K more miles.