Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire consideration for a leased M3P (OEM T0 vs. not ...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy Folks!

We've got a '21 M3P that will be returned sometime mid-2024, I'm thinking I'll want to do a fresh set of tires in the next 2-3 months, so that would mean it gets returned with whatever I get installed.

My preference would be to move to a 245/35-20 vs. the stretched 235/35 OEM Pirellis, and not have to worry about a T/T0 specific tire (I'm not worried about the lack of acoustic baffles), the 245/35 is a spec tire with the Track Package (I'd actually like to try a 255/35, but I realize that's getting a bit out there from OEM).

So the tire consideration in the context of a lease: has anyone returned a leased Tesla and had the tires overly scrutinized in terms of size/brand? I've heard people getting a couple of minutes look over on the car, and being done, and other people getting way more careful inspections - so I suppose it's a bit of a YMMV situation.

The car is otherwise stock, and mint, and will likely go back after 3 years with less than 15K miles, so they're getting a cherry of a vehicle for resale.

Thanks!

I think they are mostly concerned about tread depth, speed and load range. The load range is a big one since these cars are so heavy. As you stated, the 245 is an oem size so that shouldn't be an issue. As long as they aren't some strange, weird brand I think you'll be fine.

To ease your mind some, you can send them copies of the receipts when you send in the turn in inspection pics. As long as the invoice doesn't list new tires, you should be all set.

Obviously things could be different a year from now, so ymmv. I do think replacing them early and getting some use out of them is a great idea. I wish I had done that.

Your leasing company may require you to return the car with tires of the proper OEM size.

Also may requrie a certain tread width and even wear.

After market wheels should also be retured to stock.

Will most likely be spelled out in your lease.

Yeah, I understand the general leasing aspects, returning to stock, etc., been doing this for quite some time, across 20+ vehicles :)

Wear is absolutely a consideration, no biggie, I'm planning the tire change around the expected wear and mileage at return, so no problems there, obvious stock non-wear items, as I indicated the car is bone stock.

This was more any Tesla specific insight - specific details about OEM branded tires vs. are not covered in lease details, and tires are interesting since specific models may go out of production, not be available, be superseded by new designs, etc.

Thanks for the replies!