Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire "cupping"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85. I was hearing excessive noise from the front end between 15-30 MPH. Took it to service and they felt the tires and said they were "cupping". Basically, the tires felt like little waves on the inside. The tread was still good (6 out of 10 on their scale). The front tires were moved from the back when we put new tires on a month ago. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm afraid that just putting new tires on will only act as a band-aid and I'll have to put new tires on every 6 months! I'd rather know what is causing the tires to do this. Weird that it's on both of them.

Cupping is normally caused by an issue in the suspension i.e springs/shocks under performing, allow the tyre to skip on the road surface.

However that being said cupping is often miss-diagnosed. Most often is an alignment issue. As your have been rotated from the rear, i would suggest the tyre have wear from excessive negative camber and/or toe in.

I would start with an alignment check before anyrhing else