Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Diameters and AWD System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the case of possibly staggering wheels at some point.
Well, just be aware that is all for looks on a Tesla Model 3. An AWD performance sedan really wants the same sized tires all around if your actual goal is going fast.

I don't think anyone knows the exact front/rear size difference that is OK and won't trigger a traction control issue. Maybe reach out to some of the wheel vendors and ask their experience?

Traction is not an issue with the model 3. Larger wheels will be heavier and slow you down. That being said u can get away with 235/275 or 245/285 setups. They will not handle as well and be slower.

If you like the look of the staggered setup you can do a setup like I did, which was same widths, but staggered offsets. My rears have more concavity and give the look I like, without the draw backs of a wider rear wheel/tire

20211008_122214.jpg

Hello!

Coming from the GT-R world, the tire diameter differential had to be within .3% or it would cause issues with the AWD system. Is that something we need to worry about with the M3 AWD LR system?

Thanks!

Mia.
You are correct (but wrong amount)...can look at the "tire size" subsection discussion with much info on this topic.
In brief, for the Tesla AWD M3s, you will want to stay less than 0.5" diameter tires front and rear, and use 26.0" to 27.0" tire sizes (about 2% variance). People have described error codes thrown with higher variance in AWD.
To make simpler, use can consider using a 20mm difference in width sizes for staggered tires (eg, 235 & 255). Staggered wheels with same size tires mentioned above have pros and cons...what was not mentioned was more stretched look of same size tire on rear wheel of larger width. Same size wheels with staggered tires would be opposite....choose your desired look

If doing aggressive corner driving (autocross, tracking, etc), then there is a benefit for wider tires on appropriate size wheels. If not, you would save on efficiency and potentially acceleration (due to decreased weight and tire-road resistance compared to wider tires).

Currently running on 275/30/20 and 295/30/20 on 9.5in and 10.5in wide wheels respectively...to each their own.
Hope that helps... :cool:

To make simpler, use can consider using a 20mm difference in width sizes for staggered tires (eg, 235 & 255).
This is only true if the aspect ratio stays the same. Many times you run a different aspect front/rear to try and get diameters closer. The OP is right to consider % difference as the main way to calculate this.

If doing aggressive corner driving (autocross, tracking, etc), then there is a benefit for wider tires on appropriate size wheels.
Wider tires all around, not staggered.

Reactions: miss demeanor
I guess there are two different sizing concerns here, both of which can anger the ESP which is overall tire size and tire size difference from front to rear.

1) The overall diameter of any tire installed should be within 2% of the factory selectable options; e.g. anything between 26" and 27" is fine.
2) Additionally, the difference front to rear needs to be very close, within .2" should be the goal. e.g. 26.5" front, and 26.7" rear.

You are correct (but wrong amount)...can look at the "tire size" subsection discussion with much info on this topic.
In brief, for the Tesla AWD M3s, you will want to stay less than 0.5" diameter tires front and rear, and use 26.0" to 27.0" tire sizes (about 2% variance). People have described error codes thrown with higher variance in AWD.
To make simpler, use can consider using a 20mm difference in width sizes for staggered tires (eg, 235 & 255). Staggered wheels with same size tires mentioned above have pros and cons...what was not mentioned was more stretched look of same size tire on rear wheel of larger width. Same size wheels with staggered tires would be opposite....choose your desired look

If doing aggressive corner driving (autocross, tracking, etc), then there is a benefit for wider tires on appropriate size wheels. If not, you would save on efficiency and potentially acceleration (due to decreased weight and tire-road resistance compared to wider tires).

Currently running on 275/30/20 and 295/30/20 on 9.5in and 10.5in wide wheels respectively...to each their own.
Hope that helps... :cool:
Are you having any issues with rubbing? Is your car lowered and if so, by how much? Thanks!

Stability control on my RWD 3 got *extremely* unhappy just with brand new rears and fronts at the wear bars. Spent hundreds of miles that way, it could never learn to deal with it, despite TPMS resets and the like. So I bet it'll be really unhappy with just 1 smaller tire. Good enough in an emergency though.