TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire fail!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zackmilo, Aug 16, 2018.

?

What should I request

1. Two new tires

13.6%
  2. Free Tesla air compressor to fill up thin tires once a week because I have new wheels/tires coming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other swag and free stuff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Refund patch $$

90.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

2 months ago, I come out to my car to go the canyons and see tire pressure warnings and see 2 nails in my tires. They were right in the middle and I take it right to Tesla west la. They say they can patch it for $50 each (better than $300 each for new tires so I obviously said yes. Fast forward to Sunday and I have two tire pressure warnings on the same two right tires they patched. Monday comes and I go on vacation and drop my car off at service to get the window fixed while I’m gone so I don’t have to deal with loaners and lyfts. They call me Tuesday and say the patches have failed causing the leaks in two tires and it will be $380 each for two new tires. I immediately said no way and there should be a warranty of some sort because two months is a little ridiculous for a patch to fail. What should I do? Anyone have the same experiences with Tesla patches?

2. Baja30

Baja30 Member

Nobody warranties a tire failure due to nail puncture, why do you feel you are owed something?

• Like x 4
  3. zackmilo

They patched it and it failed after less than 60 days.

4. albtrssp

albtrssp Member

If they owe you anything, it's just a refund on the patches, not two new tires.

• Like x 2
  5. zackmilo

Agreed.

6. Pied

Pied Member

I would ask for refund for the failed patchwork, and use the money to buy new tires.

7. zackmilo

$380 is for crappy continentals. I want pilot sport 4s and I found for $250 each so I’d rather buy 4 of those than two continentals

8. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

This.

9. Darscot

Darscot Member

I have never heard of a guarantee on a patch in my life. Ever tire I have ever had repaired the dealer has refused or made a very strong recommendation against it. Mom and Pop shops are usually willing to do it. Even franchise tire shops tend to refuse to repair a tire. I'm surprised Tesla even made the effort for you. I guess they will learn and from now on refuse to patch tires, like most other dealers. They owe you nothing, they tried to do you a favor.

• Love x 2
  10. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Tesla is not a tire shop and surprised they patched it for you while trying to save you money but I would have gone to a Llantera and got both done for 20..

• Like x 1
  11. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I've put plugs in tires to repair nail and screw holes, I coat the plug with RTV and put it in. Never had one leak. Trim the plug to the level of the tire tread once the RTV dries.

• Like x 1
  12. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It's a tough vote.

What's the actual policy on if a patch fails?

13. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

There is no guarantee on a tire patch.

14. zackmilo

They didn’t know they just said it varies case by case. I just think that I paid $100 for two patches that should work for at least two months. That’s all

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

If you get the tires through Tesla I would ask for goodwill on the labor.

That would comp you on the patches. Even though those are likely not warrantied.

2 months of zackmilo driving or two months of miss daisy driving? You gotta be honest here. :D

16. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

It states explicitly in the Tesla Model 3 warranty that tire repairs are not covered and are your responsibility.

17. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Ask for a new Tesla. Preferably a new Roadster.

• Funny x 4
  18. Bradbomb

Bradbomb Member

Where is the choice for "Nothing is owed"? A tire patch is never guaranteed at any shop.

• Like x 5
  19. drawfour

drawfour Member

Many tire shops will do repairs for free, even if you didn't buy your tires from them. Mainly because they are cheap and easy to do, and they know that when you need new tires, you'll think of them.

I've used Les Schwab, and I know they have the promo, and I think Discount Tires has the same promotion. Not sure what places you have in LA, but there's got to be similar ones.

20. zackmilo

Depends on the mood. But there’s one in the front and the rear tires get all the action here