Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire for Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for suggestions!!

I will have a short term project in Canada (Markham area) for about 9-10 months starting from January ‘23 and I’m planning to take my 2019 Model 3 (Long Range, 19”) with me (from California, through transportation). Currently, car has regular Continental tires and it’s up for a replacement.

I am looking for some suggestions/advice:

1) Since I will be there for 9-10 months, would it make sense to import the car with temporary permits (heard that I cannot sell it in Canada which I’m planning as well) or transfer permanently? The reason I’m asking is because in case my stay gets extended for say 6 months is there any 12 months restrictions on keeping a car on temporary permits?

2) Since January will be snow time there, any tire recommendations (make/model)? Is it a good idea to get the tires replaced here in USA before transporting it to Canada (probably won’t get warranty if I buy here from Costco or American Tire shops), or get it replaced there?

3) Can I take the TPMS sensors from current tires and put it in the new set or do I need to buy TPMS sensors as well?

4) Since the car was purchased in United States (new, 2019, fully paid now, clear title) is there anything I need to take care before transporting from compatibility standpoints?

5) I have been quoted ~$2600 USD for the transportation. Does it sound reasonable? Transportation company said, once the car reaches to their warehouse (in Mississauga area), I would need to pay some taxes. They didn’t mention any amount. Any idea how much tax do I need to pay? Other than the tax, any additional cost that I may need to be prepared for?

6) How much is the typical insurance cost there (good driving records in USA)?

I will have a short term project in Canada (Markham area) for about 9-10 months starting from January ‘23 and I’m planning to take my 2019 Model 3 (Long Range, 19”) with me (from California, through transportation). Currently, car has regular Continental tires and it’s up for a replacement.

1) Since I will be there for 9-10 months, would it make sense to import the car with temporary permits (heard that I cannot sell it in Canada which I’m planning as well) or transfer permanently? The reason I’m asking is because in case my stay gets extended for say 6 months is there any 12 months restrictions on keeping a car on temporary permits?

2) Since January will be snow time there, any tire recommendations (make/model)? Is it a good idea to get the tires replaced here in USA before transporting it to Canada (probably won’t get warranty if I buy here from Costco or American Tire shops), or get it replaced there?

3) Can I take the TPMS sensors from current tires and put it in the new set or do I need to buy TPMS sensors as well?

4) Since the car was purchased in United States (new, 2019, fully paid now, clear title) is there anything I need to take care before transporting from compatibility standpoints?

5) I have been quoted ~$2600 USD for the transportation. Does it sound reasonable? Transportation company said, once the car reaches to their warehouse (in Mississauga area), I would need to pay some taxes. They didn’t mention any amount. Any idea how much tax do I need to pay? Other than the tax, any additional cost that I may need to be prepared for?

1) Too many variables since you haven't indicated when you plan to sell your car. If you're thinking of selling it in Canada, it might not work since there are certain restrictions (French displayed on warnings, etc) that might prevent you from doing so. It used to be that there was a difference in bumpers as well, but things might have changed. Unsure about extending permits.

2/3) Buy the tires in the US due to the price difference and availability. Costco is in Canada, so it should be transferable. Look to Michelin for their X-ICE3s or Nokian for their Hakkapeliita R3s or R5s. It's best to get something permanently mounted as opposed to switching tires seasonally.

4) If you don't plan to sell it in Canada, then you don't have to do anything to drive it in here. I'm unsure what you'd have to do to renew your California plates when the time comes.

5) Can't answer but you shouldn't have to pay taxes on the car if you don't intend on importing it. If you do intend on importing it, then you'll also have costs making the car compliant with Canadian safety standards.

6) I think it's fair to say we probably pay one of the highest rates, especially around Toronto. I'll let others comment on how much they pay for the Model 3 specifically.

Reactions: mrElbe and adb04
Upvote 0
1) Too many variables since you haven't indicated when you plan to sell your car. If you're thinking of selling it in Canada, it might not work since there are certain restrictions (French displayed on warnings, etc) that might prevent you from doing so. It used to be that there was a difference in bumpers as well, but things might have changed. Unsure about extending permits.

2/3) Buy the tires in the US due to the price difference and availability. Costco is in Canada, so it should be transferable. Look to Michelin for their X-ICE3s or Nokian for their Hakkapeliita R3s or R5s. It's best to get something permanently mounted as opposed to switching tires seasonally.

4) If you don't plan to sell it in Canada, then you don't have to do anything to drive it in here. I'm unsure what you'd have to do to renew your California plates when the time comes.

5) Can't answer but you shouldn't have to pay taxes on the car if you don't intend on importing it. If you do intend on importing it, then you'll also have costs making the car compliant with Canadian safety standards.

6) I think it's fair to say we probably pay one of the highest rates, especially around Toronto. I'll let others comment on how much they pay for the Model 3 specifically.
Thank you for the response. It’s very helpful. I am actually NOT planning to sell the car in Canada (apologies for the typo there).

Upvote 0

Temporary permit would be the best option. call the local provider in Ontario for more info..

Upvote 0