Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire FYI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
Got in the X today and had a low pressure warning in right rear. Stopped and found a screw in the center of the tire after less than 600 miles. Went to the gas station/shop near our house for a repair. They took the tire off and initially refused to fix the tire because there is a foam ring glued to the center of the tire. After convincing them it was for sound deadening and not structural in any way, they agreed to fix it. They cut away a section of foam to get to the rubber. But, the tar like glue keeping the foam in place is awful - thick, sticky, and hard to remove. Eventually they were able to get it clean enough to chemically bond the patch and seal the tire. Also, they didn't realize at first that the lug nuts have plastic covers over them that look like real nuts, so they couldn't find a socket that would work. Once I told them, them slipped the covers off, revealing the real smaller lug nuts underneath, and they were able to get the wheel off no problem.

IMG_0519.JPG

Got in the X today and had a low pressure warning in right rear. Stopped and found a screw in the center of the tire after less than 600 miles. Went to the gas station/shop near our house for a repair. They took the tire off and initially refused to fix the tire because there is a foam ring glued to the center of the tire. After convincing them it was for sound deadening and not structural in any way, they agreed to fix it. They cut away a section of foam to get to the rubber. But, the tar like glue keeping the foam in place is awful - thick, sticky, and hard to remove. Eventually they were able to get it clean enough to chemically bond the patch and seal the tire. Also, they didn't realize at first that the lug nuts have plastic covers over them that look like real nuts, so they couldn't find a socket that would work. Once I told them, them slipped the covers off, revealing the real smaller lug nuts underneath, and they were able to get the wheel off no problem.

View attachment 178619

what is the brand and type I have been looking for those. Can you post a picture of the outside of the tire? Is there a product number on it?

Thank you!

Since I have my X on the lift today, I pulled the wheels to apply OptiCoat Pro Plus to the barrels, rear of spokes and the faces.

Here is the tool that will pull the plastic caps off: Amazon.com: Genuine Audi 8D0012244A Wheel Bolt Cap Removal Tool: Automotive

(looks like Amazon made this an add on item)

Here are pictures of the tool and how it works.

Also picture of the "conti-silent" on the tire and a clean wheel. :)

The lugnut is a 21mm and the torque for the lugnuts are 129 ft-lbs. (Just like the MS)

IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2717.JPG IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2702.JPG

Strangely, the lugnuts for my Model S seem to have changed size. I've been using a 21mm socket since I got the car in 2014, but that size now fits extremely tight (if it will go on at all) and will occasionally seize to the lug. This has happened with several lugnuts and I've tried using several different 21mm sockets in case one was damaged. What's going on? Needless to say, it makes any wheel-related maintenance a real chore. I'm also worried that I will damage the lugnuts one of these times.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Strangely, the lugnuts for my Model S seem to have changed size. I've been using a 21mm socket since I got the car in 2014, but that size now fits extremely tight (if it will go on at all) and will occasionally seize to the lug. This has happened with several lugnuts and I've tried using several different 21mm sockets in case one was damaged. What's going on? Needless to say, it makes any wheel-related maintenance a real chore. I'm also worried that I will damage the lugnuts one of these times.

The OEM Tesla lug nuts have a stainless cap that distorts over time with wrench use.
Pneumatic wrenches are especially bad for accelerated lug wear and size distortion.
I ended up replacing all of my lug nuts with chrome vanadium steel ... problem solved :cool:

upload_2016-10-12_20-52-5.png

upload_2016-10-12_20-51-50.png