TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire has nail... Tesla says they can't replace it until NOVEMBER?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by visionik, Sep 29, 2016.

1. visionik

visionik Member

Hi all -

Our Model X managed to get a nail in a rear tire. Tesla says they have no appointments available to replace the tire until November.

Seriously?

It looks like this is a custom tire for the Model X as I can't find it in stock anywhere:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
    285/35R22 106W

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

2. 1208

1208 Active Member

From a non tesla owner, I got a large allen key in a tire, took it to a auto repair place and they stuck a bung in the hole and did something with it for £18. Saved the tire and nothing wrong with it since, been a year since it happened.

I would have thought you could save the tire, the nail would give a small hole. Find an auto repair place that can do it.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

If it's not near the side wall have it plugged and be on your way.

• Like x 4
  4. McRat

McRat Active Member

With modern tire monitoring systems, plugging tires is far safer than it used to be. The biggest threat before, was the plug would have a slow leak, and you would drive on an underinflated tire, which can cause any tire to fail catastrophically.

• Informative x 1
  5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

1. Might want to update your signature to reflect that your X was delivered. ;)
    2. TireRack reports "Limited Stock, Enter ZIP Code to Check Availability"
    3. DiscountTire has worked well for me on my S tires. For Michelins (Pilot SuperSport, for example), they deal with the warranty on your behalf so you only have to deal with DT. Also, they offer some (I forget what it's called...) coverage on OEM tires that were purchased with the vehicle. I came to them with a nail in my P85D tire and was able to buy that coverage on the spot before they looked at the nail damage. Convenient for peace of mind -- especially since I got another nail a few weeks later.

• Informative x 1
  6. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Go to a tire store and get the tire fixed.

7. Dynamo123

Dynamo123 Member

8. Jeffgtx

Jeffgtx Member

Discount tire replaced our X tire in 1 week. Had to order it.
    If getting it plugged make sure hey know about the coating.

9. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

I too got a 1/4" nail in the tire that casued a slow leak. Took it to a reputable tire shop. 30 minutes and $30 later, I was a happy camper. Have been monitoring my tire pressure since then and it's a constant 43-45 psi. BTW, they patched it.

10. Jbailey

Jbailey Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Asymmetric+3&frontTire=635WR2F1A3XLSCT&rearTire=835WR2F1A3XLSCT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Model%20X%2090D&autoModClar=265%2F35-22F%20285%2F35-22R

11. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

I don't know if there's a KalTire where you live, but around here they're fast and reliable. They've even patched for free when we promised to get our next set of tires there. (We did.) I don't think all KalTires do that though. :)

12. proven

proven Member

If a tire store can't patch it, and they don't have it in stock, you could ask to purchase a tire from the service center and then take it to a tire store for installation.

• Like x 1