Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Life/Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just assumed the differential favored the right side a little

Tesla has an open differential (on front and rear axles) and applies individual wheel braking to prevent unwanted inside wheel slip. Basically if your car goes in a straight line when you accelerate, no side is favoured. If you are getting more wear on one side of the car, you are either loading that side up more under cornering (maybe you have some fast left hand corners along your daily routes) or your wheel alignment is slightly asymmetric e.g. a little more aggressive camber on the right. Anyway 0.5/32 is not much difference and you can easily see that sort of difference randomly over a set of tyres.

Tesla has an open differential (on front and rear axles) and applies individual wheel braking to prevent unwanted inside wheel slip. Basically if your car goes in a straight line when you accelerate, no side is favoured. If you are getting more wear on one side of the car, you are either loading that side up more under cornering (maybe you have some fast left hand corners along your daily routes) or your wheel alignment is slightly asymmetric e.g. a little more aggressive camber on the right. Anyway 0.5/32 is not much difference and you can easily see that sort of difference randomly over a set of tyres.
All external factors being equal, an open diff is going to slip on the same wheel and experience slightly more wear as the traction control intervenes. As you mentioned though, it's a small measurement and is likely even less than 0.5/32, because the tire tech likely rounded and it isn't the most accurate measurement in the first place.

I only bothered rotating the tires because it was no charge and I was hoping to get 20k miles out of these tires. At less than 7k miles in, I've already consumed close to 50% of the usable tread on one of the rears, so 20k is probably a pipe dream. With a 25k mile tread wear warranty on the rears and 50k miles on the fronts, it looks like I'll be getting some pro-rated credit towards the next set.

You don't mention which tires you have...for my X, I have Contis and got 23K for first set (Tesla folks advised I would probably reach 30K but I changed due to long travel needs plus safety in heavy rain scenarios).
Agree with statement that Contis are staggered and not rotatable.
btw: Tesla Ranger advised that Contis are performing much better than Michelin in his experience.
that's shocking - the notion it's possible to get 30k out of Continentals. Maybe on the lighter S's, but the heavier X? Did anybody ever get 30K on Cont's w/ a 90 or 100X? besides varying rubber compounds, the major dynamics of wear would be hard cornering - weight & power of acceleration capabiclity. Michelin ... years ago we had a set of their Hydroedges. 90K mile wear warranty. No wonder Michelin discontinued them.
:mad:

All external factors being equal, an open diff is going to slip on the same wheel and experience slightly more wear as the traction control intervenes.

An open diff will slip the wheel with the least amount of grip, which will naturally vary depending on road surface and dynamic load. An open diff will not favour any specific wheel consistently unless you do something extreme like fit a summer tyre on one side and a winter tyre on the other so you have radically different grip levels across the car. An open diff will try to spin the wheel with the least resistance and then the electronics will apply one wheel braking to prevent that slip getting out of control.

In your case, I would say 0.5 difference in wear is almost insignificant, but if say you had 0.5 deg more negative camber on one side relative to the other (which is quite possible within alignment tolerances) then you could easily see a little more wear on that side.

Sorry if drifting a little OT.

that's shocking - the notion it's possible to get 30k out of Continentals. Maybe on the lighter S's, but the heavier X? Did anybody ever get 30K on Cont's w/ a 90 or 100X? besides varying rubber compounds, the major dynamics of wear would be hard cornering - weight & power of acceleration capabiclity. Michelin ... years ago we had a set of their Hydroedges. 90K mile wear warranty. No wonder Michelin discontinued them.
Have 40k total now and over 17k in the new ones. Just had service done two weeks ago and there plenty of tread.

Congo’s have worked well for my 90X and in inclement situations in both FL (summers are tropical) and NC.

4/32" - Start tire shopping
3/32" - Replace tires

Even that's can be considered somewhat conservative (disclaimer: one that I agree with btw and tend to go with 4/32") but even Goodyear's website recommends 3/32" to "Replace Tire Soon" and 2/32" or less to "Replace Tire Now" Continental acknowledges 2/32" is the minimum; but recommends replacement at 4/32" so it can definitely vary based on preferences and subjective feel at times.

The uncorked 75Ds accelerate just as hard as the 90Ds. OEM tread depth is 10/32" and I'm currently 6/32"-7/32" in depth. I can't always assume linear consumption; but even conservatively (replacement at 4/32") that's over ~33% remaining in tread life at 20,000 miles. That's projecting me to hit just about 30k on the continentals. Now I do drive on asphalt mostly with a decent amount of dirt/gravel mixed in. I'm not sure just how much road surface affects tire wear.

I just surpassed 25k miles on my 90D Model X and 3 of 4 tires have 5/32" tread, one has 4/32" tread. I just took my vehicle in for it's second annual service and they recommended changing the tires probably within the next 3-4 months. I'm hoping I can get through the summer and change them before the fall starts and have new all-weather tires in time for the fall/winter.

One thing I don't think being discussed enough in this thread, though it's talked about ad-nauseum on some other TMC threads, is what your Air Suspension settings are on X, and how that correlates to tire life/wear. I'm guessing some folks have not thought about the ramifications of what that setting means on the tires of such a heavy vehicle. I may be wrong though...