Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Life/Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I took my MX with about 6800 miles for a tire rotation, thinking it would be wise and also for Tesla Service just to give the vehicle a look over. Turns out, because the 20" Tesla Model X tires are staggered (front and rear tires are 20x9, 20x10, respectively I believe), you cannot/should not rotate the tires. So, nothing to really do...agreed with @vandacca to check the wear using that nifty gauge that I will also be purchasing. According to the service technician I spoke with at Tesla, the 20" tires should go 30k-40k miles, depending on how you drive, road conditions, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
I recently got a flat, and went to the service center to get the new tire. While I was there they (apparently) gave me a courtesy inspection. During this, they measured the tire depth as shown in the attached image. Obviously the 10/32 number is the new tire, all other tires are at 8/32. Does anyone know at what number it's considered a "bad" reading? For reference, I got our MX last July and have 22,500 miles on it already. Several road trips, winter driving in New England, and conservative driving habits in standard/low suspension. 8/32 doesn't sound too bad to me, unless 8 is a bad number XD

Attachments

• Tire.JPG
    Tire.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 249
I recently got a flat, and went to the service center to get the new tire. While I was there they (apparently) gave me a courtesy inspection. During this, they measured the tire depth as shown in the attached image. Obviously the 10/32 number is the new tire, all other tires are at 8/32. Does anyone know at what number it's considered a "bad" reading? For reference, I got our MX last July and have 22,500 miles on it already. Several road trips, winter driving in New England, and conservative driving habits in standard/low suspension. 8/32 doesn't sound too bad to me, unless 8 is a bad number XD
It turns out that there's this cool invention called Google, and upon some further inspection I found the answer to my own question. Tires are good up until 3 to 4 out of 32. Doesn't seem too bad! Although I am surprised that all Tesla's readings are exactly 8/32, maybe there were some corners cut and they applied one measurement to all. Thoughts?

Check Tire Tread Depth | Goodyear Auto Service Center

• Funny
Reactions: Shopi01
My Tesla SC just informed me that the (20") rear tires on my MX P90D need to be replaced after driving only 9,700 miles! The inside tread is worn down to 1mm on both tires. We all know tires can't be rotated on the MX, so I'll obviously have to replace them. To replace my two Michelin Latitude Sport 3's, Tesla wants $1100.

A word to the wise: The default setting on the Model X for automatically lowering suspension to low is ALWAYS. I highly recommend setting this to either NEVER, or some high speed that would limit the vehicle's time spent in low. I wish someone had told me that the car putting itself in low by default so often would result in $1100 in two new tires before I even hit the 10K mile mark. They should change the default setting to improve this situation for future owners.

I just had Tesla Ranger out today to swap out my Winter wheels/tires for my Summer wheel/tires. The tech said I needed new rear tires as they were worn with no tread on the inner sides. MX P90D; 20 inch. I had Winter tires installed Nov 3 2016 at 13057 miles. Wheel alignment was also done at this time. The service report at that time said I had 5mm Outer, 5mm Center, 4mm Inner. Cost is $1000 for 2 new tires. When I had Winter wheel/tires installed the SC bagged the Summer wheel/tires and I did not look at them until today. The tech said I should have been informed that the rear tires were no good. The tech is taking the 2 rear wheels back to the SC and will install new Michelin Latitude Sport 3's and then come back out and complete the Winter tire swap tomorrow.

My Tesla SC just informed me that the (20") rear tires on my MX P90D need to be replaced after driving only 9,700 miles! The inside tread is worn down to 1mm on both tires. We all know tires can't be rotated on the MX, so I'll obviously have to replace them. To replace my two Michelin Latitude Sport 3's, Tesla wants $1100.

A word to the wise: The default setting on the Model X for automatically lowering suspension to low is ALWAYS. I highly recommend setting this to either NEVER, or some high speed that would limit the vehicle's time spent in low. I wish someone had told me that the car putting itself in low by default so often would result in $1100 in two new tires before I even hit the 10K mile mark. They should change the default setting to improve this situation for future owners.

I agree completely. My rear tires lasted slightly longer, but they were worn down on the inside edges to another layer of rubber- well beyond safe wear. When I took delivery, they actually advised me to run it in low or very low to conserve power on the highway. That piece of bad advice cost me $1000, thanks Tesla! So I agree- don't ride in low! One additional note: for me, when the tire guy (non-Tesla) saw the wear pattern he said the alignment must be off. Tesla agreed, but said it wasn't off enough to account for the wear, so they are not paying anything for the wrecked tires. Now the question is, what replacement tires will have a more reasonable lifespan?

I've posted this elsewhere but I recently got new tires even though my tires barely passed PA state inspection after about 15,000 miles and 12 months. Reading the warranty for the new Continental Extreme Contacts it states that the 45,000 Mile warranty is halved for the rear tires if they are staggered (larger size tire on rear), so it appears we will all be going through a lot of tires. :) Has anyone just gotten the same size tires on front and rear?

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands
@jaguar36 So a car that coasts after letting off the throttle will wear the tires the same as one that applies reverse torque to regenerate power in your opinion? Model X is heavy, I would think there's a bit more wear if regen is constantly on than if it wasn't at all. I may have overstated it a bit by equating it to the brake wear. But dollar and cents-wise, it might not be.