Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While at the Sarasota SC having HW3 installed I was informed that my two rear tires needed replacement due to tread wear. My 2018 M3 has only 14,000 miles on the odometer. Have others had to replace their tires so early? Tesla tells me that my driving is probably too aggressive and that the same thing will happen again if I don't moderate my driving habits.

While at the Sarasota SC having HW3 installed I was informed that my two rear tires needed replacement due to tread wear. My 2018 M3 has only 14,000 miles on the odometer. Have others had to replace their tires so early? Tesla tells me that my driving is probably too aggressive and that the same thing will happen again if I don't moderate my driving habits.

Maybe it's driving habits, but I only got 20,000 miles on my AWD Model S with Goodyears, switched to Michelins and got 40,000. Same car, same roads, same driving. Of course, YMMV, but that's my experience. I drive Michelin MXM4s now.

You will get worse mileage on rear tires on RWD than on AWD, though overall, with rotations, etc, it should be the same.

Just replaced mine last week after 11,872 miles. All 4 tires were replaced.

The Model 3 is heavy, and it has very high torque, as much torque as any sportscar. It'd be easy to wear the tires out in 10k miles.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Tire rotations and yearly alignments will maximize tire life, but don't expect them to last longer than 30k in 95% of scenarios. Driving habits do contribute to tire wear directly, so I think most people will burn through their first second faster than the subsequent.

That being said, I wore through my track tires in less than 1,000 miles. So, it could always be worse lol.

Reactions: 67King
When I took our MXM4s in for their first rotation about 6500 miles, the tire guy looked at the difference in tread depth between the front and the back and said, “you’ve been enjoying your new car, haven’t you?” So I don’t play the G-force game anymore. Well, not so much.

At 33000 now and going strong. I’ll probably replace this spring or summer. (RWD)

Reactions: dwolvin and Bobbo8
Look at the tire ratings and compare them when purchasing new tires. For example, the stocks are rated at 300 or 320 (treadwear) AA traction). The larger the treadwear number, the longer the tire should last. However, in many cases, better treadwear means less traction. IMO, don't go with anything under an AA or A traction rating. If you knew all of this already, then excuse my rambling.

While weight is a factor, I think a bigger one is the instant torque electric motors supply. While you may not feel like you are mashing the pedal, the sudden changes in torque at the wheel are much greater compared to a car with an automatic transmission and torque converter. The slip associated with these torque changes, even if you can't feel the slip, causes the tire wear. If you want your tires to last longer, driving in chill mode will help a lot.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Lots of torque. Your rears will go faster than your fronts if you don't rotate them. I screwed up and didn't rotate mine like I used to in my BMW (once per month, though I drive a lot). Not as bad as that car, as it was RWD, but the torque on the more weight bearing tires (rear when accelerating) will wear out the tires quickly. I got about 22,000 miles on my first set (Firestone Indy500's), but I do spend a lot of time on highways, so I should get more than those who don't.

Depends how you drive... I'm at about 18k miles now and fronts and rears have about the same amount of wear (and it's roughly even across the tires too). No rotation because there's been no need for it.

That is exactly what I thought, too. Because I was checking visually, not with a gauge. And visually is misleading, because you can't get a good look at the rears. I thought that right up until I pulled the tires off my car to swap on some range friendly tires. I was wrong. Granted, it isn't NEARLY as bad as it was on my BMW, where I thought I could go 10,000 miles before rotating, and corded the rears at 6,000 miles. But, the tires absolutely wear unevenly.

I also forgot to mention that the rears scrub more than the fronts during turns, because they don't turn. So even for the grannies who are afraid of the throttle, the tires will have factors that cause uneven wear.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck for a bit, as I just put the sticky tires back on, and put on the UP springs, but waited to order tires a bit too long, and now non-essential businesses are closed until at least APril 6th. So I've got worn out tires and a bad alignment for another couple of weeks.

At 4500 miles, my rears are roughly 5.75/32s and fronts 7.75/32s. This is on a stealth perf, and I've done a lot of heavy Accel.

The oem 18 michelins come with only 8/32s, where as most tires start at 10 and some 11.

I plan on rotating every 5k miles, and will be replacing these when needed with something that starts life with a little more tread depth.

That is exactly what I thought, too. Because I was checking visually, not with a gauge. And visually is misleading, because you can't get a good look at the rears. I thought that right up until I pulled the tires off my car to swap on some range friendly tires. I was wrong. Granted, it isn't NEARLY as bad as it was on my BMW, where I thought I could go 10,000 miles before rotating, and corded the rears at 6,000 miles. But, the tires absolutely wear unevenly.

Ok.

But I used an actual gauge- checking each tire across its width at 3 different points.

So as I say- nearly 20,000 miles now, and even wear across all 4 original factory tires, with no rotation.

Depends how you drive.

(Might also depend on the tire/wheel combo a bit I suppose- I'm on stock 18s and MXM4s)