Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire load questions and OEM tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was looking at the Google sheet tire comparison sheets from reddit, and I noticed some of the tires aren't rated for extra load (XL) like the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife. Does it really matter in this case, or would it be fine as long as the tires load index is higher than the car's GVWR?

Direct link to the Google sheet if anyone's wondering:
Comparison of Model 3 compatible tires (235/45-18", 235/40-19", 235/35-20") according to ratings from TireRack and TyreReviews (sorted by tire category and rating)

Also, I have heard some owners here was about to claim warranty on the OEM 18" Michelin tires. How do they determine how much money/credit do you get, what's the value of the tires that they are based on? Thanks all.

The load index is important, but not so much in this context. These cars aren't heavy enough to exceed the weight limits of anything I've ever seen.

The "lightness" tire on that sheet is rated for 630 kg. Which is nearly 5,600 lbs for all four tires, which is substantially above the GVWR. It's also a few pounds higher than the rear GAWR listed on my sticker, so completely safe to use.