Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are close to getting a new MX, just working out a few things yet, (insurance, etc). One item I have been trying to get clear(er) answers on is tire life. I've reading forums all over, and some users are replacing in 10k miles or less, while others say they get 35k more. I know weather, and driving habits influence this answer a lot, but we do not worry about snow in Florida, just extreme heat, and neither one of us is speeders, so we won't be drag racing around town. We also both work from home, so no long daily commutes either.

What is there best (20 inch) tires to use on an MX and should I be worried about dropping 1k per year into tires.

My wife and I are close to getting a new MX, just working out a few things yet, (insurance, etc). One item I have been trying to get clear(er) answers on is tire life. I've reading forums all over, and some users are replacing in 10k miles or less, while others say they get 35k more. I know weather, and driving habits influence this answer a lot, but we do not worry about snow in Florida, just extreme heat, and neither one of us is speeders, so we won't be drag racing around town. We also both work from home, so no long daily commutes either.

What is there best (20 inch) tires to use on an MX and should I be worried about dropping 1k per year into tires.
I like the Continental Cross Contact (ContiSilent) tires that came as original equipment on my MX P90D. I replaced them ahead of schedule for a lengthy road trip this summer. They had ~28K miles and still had 2/32" of tread before replacement was required.

I don't believe you have an option to choose tires when purchasing a custom build from Tesla. You may be able to negotiate change of tires on a CPO model. Your only option may be to use the tires that come with the vehicle and then worry about tire selection when it's time to replace them.

Reactions: FlyF4
I don't believe you have an option to choose tires when purchasing a custom build from Tesla. You may be able to negotiate change of tires on a CPO model. Your only option may be to use the tires that come with the vehicle and then worry about tire selection when it's time to replace them.

I wasn't looking to pick tires on the new one. I am curious as to how long the originals will last and/or what to replace them with when they need replacing. When I hear multiple people say their tires are worn out in 10k miles or so, that makes me a bit nervous.

I wasn't looking to pick tires on the new one. I am curious as to how long the originals will last and/or what to replace them with when they need replacing. When I hear multiple people say their tires are worn out in 10k miles or so, that makes me a bit nervous.
Gotcha. I have a winter set and summer set of tires and I'm not yet in need of replacement, so I haven't looked into it yet. Maybe there are others with experience on this forum that can chime in.

Biggest factor to increasing longevity of the tires is to ensure you don't drive around a lot with the Suspension on "Very Low". Minimizing "Low" setting also helps a little. There is a known issue that excessive driving in Very Low suspension will cause the tires to prematurely wear unevenly.

Otherwise, here are a couple of threads that you can go through:
Need New Tires Pirrelli or Continental?
Tire Wear experiences?

Reactions: FlyF4