Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire mistake at Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly let me start by saying I love Tesla service and they are always great and professional.

This is what happened to me on March 20.

I had an appointment at the service center for a seasonal tire change from winter back to my original all season tires.

Two of the original all seasons needed to be changed, and the other two were low on tread so I decided to buy 4 new tires.

Today, April 14, crazy weather, snow, ice everywhere and I almost get into an accident because the car doesn’t have any traction and won’t stop. I was shaken up quite a bit, but kept my composure for the kids.

With my kids in the car I get home shocked and can’t understand why the car drove that way. I was driving extremely cautiously and the car would not stop!

I was able to avoid a collision, and nothing happened. Yet as I get older close calls seem to bother me a lot more. The kids being in the car didn’t help.

Initially I attributed things to poor weather, it was freezing rain, but things were gnawing at me. The traction just wasn’t there and I have been driving for decades. Something wasn’t right, something felt off.

After a few hours at home calming down I went to check the new tires and looked up the model.

Michelin Latitude Sport 3. They replaced my old original all season tires with summer tires!

I live in Canada, my all season tires are what I use when it’s not winter. I have never owned summer tires because they aren’t good in snow and ice, which can surprise people up here during spring and fall.

I already sent an email to the service center, about the mixup, and that I should have been swapped out for new all seasons not summer tires.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any advice? I hope I am not stuck with these tires!

I am grateful everyone is safe.

Glad that you made it home safe!
What did Tesla put on the invoice when you got the tires changed, does it say Michelin Latitude Sport 3 or Continental Cross Contact LX Sport?

Now if you have two set of tires, why not go for the real specialized tires Summer and Winter. You can put back your winter set for now and swap for the summer one later, say in mid May? The summer tires will give you better handling than the all-season in the warmer temperatures.

Glad that you made it home safe!
What did Tesla put on the invoice when you got the tires changed, does it say Michelin Latitude Sport 3 or Continental Cross Contact LX Sport?

Now if you have two set of tires, why not go for the real specialized tires Summer and Winter. You can put back your winter set for now and swap for the summer one later, say in mid May? The summer tires will give you better handling than the all-season in the warmer temperatures.
Only downfall is that there's no set date for winter to begin and you could get caught out. But yes summer tires are vastly Superior in summer, many people don't know this. You could just throw the winters on super early and leave them on late.

Lawrence SC is out of all seasons...

You can ask them to switch back to Winter Tire and wait for real summer comes and switch to summer tires

Yeah Toronto Ice Storm definitely could murder drivers with summer tires

Just need to update this thread.

I was just informed my Model X originally came with summer tires. So it makes sense that the service centre would have swapped out my used original tires for the same type.

This came as a surprise since I was very sure I was told the car had all seasons on upon delivery in 2016.

Luckily nobody was hurt, and knowing what I know now, I now will swap out my tires in May and October to ensure I don't get caught in inclement weather again.

Summer tires are good in the summer and provide better dry traction than all seasons, and they should perform better in wet warm weather.

I learn something today that I wish I had known earlier.

Reactions: hiroshiy