Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire needs replacement but OEM not available until 2021??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fam!
Hope all is well.

So with at 350 miles in after getting my tint and PPF installed I drive out the very next day for work and get a screw stuck at the edge of my drivers side tire. I have been told its is not repairable and it's to far close to the edge to patch.
I called around and the OEM tire is not available till 2021. Going to call Tesla tomorrow and see if they have any available through the service department (note to hopeful though) :)
Let me know if you know anyone with our stock tires. They tell me it has a special noise reduction layer. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?
IMG_0270.jpg

Drive safe out there!

@elonmusk Please add an additional camera that would detect details like smaller objects on the road like imperfections, nails and especially animals dogs, cats or wildlife (or does it already detect them)​

I had a 3" standard nail pulled out of my tire on Monday. When I arrived at my local Discount Tire shop they weren't sure if they could fix it either. Mine was in the first groove, so not as close to the edge as your tire. I'm also running 19" Continental tires on Gemini wheels. They said a replacement would take 5-6 business days to arrive from Georgia. Luckily when they pulled the tire for inspection, the nail was angled inward and they were able to repair/patch. And the best part was that they charged me nothing! My second option was to call the Tesla Roadside assistance number and see if they would bring out a loaner tire while it got corrected. Only reason I went with Discount Tire to begin with was that they are less than a mile from my home. I could have walked home if needed.

I'm toying with getting the Discount Tire Road Hazard warranty, but haven't made up my mind.

mhcrowder: Curious. I believe these the OEM Conti 19s have the foam liner under the tread. Would you have been able to seal the tire with the (dreaded) tire sealant if this puncture occurred away from civilization? Any chance you asked the question?

Just spoke with a tech at TireRack, addressing the issue of punctures NOT sealing with sealant use, because of the possibility that the foam prevents the sealant from reaching the actual puncture. He says the TR research guys say the sealant DOES work, but it creates such an uneven gloppy mess that the tire would need to be replaced, because of subsequent balance issues.

I just found a lengthy thread over in the MS area, I need to do some more reading. I'm not comfortable with this issue, as we drive in very rural TX all the time, and don't want to be stranded. (Yes, I'm researching spare tires, but stowing is problematic)

Since you can't have that repaired with a patch at a tire store, you can easily plug it yourself with a plug kit and drive on it for a long time before it gives you any problems. That will buy you time to get a new tire. Your only risk is that the plug will develop a slow leak over time, but it's not going to blow out unless you don't refill the tire when it's low. I keep a small 12V air pump in all my cars in case I need it for a slow leak.

Reactions: Ruffles
For now I am just leaving the screw in there as the air is leaking very small amount.
I am still at the same PSI since I noticed it a few days ago so I am going to leave it in for now until it starts to leak more air.
Hopefully the tire is available while it holds up, which it should.

I have the 20 inch inductions.
Tire research is something I did not do when ordering the MY and its interesting that it comes with a linerLike Pianewman mentioned.​

NOOOO!!! Leaving the screw in is potentially damaging the belts, as it is moving/grinding constantly with every revolution.

I agree with TLLMRRJ: Plug/patch it. Very little risk of failure, and you'll buy time, (possibly for the life of the tire!) with no hazard.

Let us know what you do.

Reactions: brkaus and TLLMRRJ
That is the type and location of puncture that a tire shop will likely refuse to patch. A tire shop has to assume that people are going to be oblivious, and are going to treat a repaired tire as if nothing had happened to it.

But this location has a fair chance of being repaired with a home plug kit.

If you do repair it yourself, inspect it frequently for blisters or other signs of delamination. And don't push the tire with hard cornering or coming close to the speed rating.

Hopefully all you've done is enlarge the hole by driving with the screw chewing on the belts. A larger hole will actually be easier to plug!!!
Hope it seals properly and the tire will work fine w/o replacement.

Just got off a chat with Tire Rack and they don’t have a definitive date when the OEM Goodyear’s will be available. The date in the screenshot above got pushed back to 12/15 now on their site. Ended up going with Michelin’s A/S+ but that’s because I was buying a full set since I down sized from the 21’s.

I had a 3" standard nail pulled out of my tire on Monday. When I arrived at my local Discount Tire shop they weren't sure if they could fix it either. Mine was in the first groove, so not as close to the edge as your tire. I'm also running 19" Continental tires on Gemini wheels. They said a replacement would take 5-6 business days to arrive from Georgia. Luckily when they pulled the tire for inspection, the nail was angled inward and they were able to repair/patch. And the best part was that they charged me nothing! My second option was to call the Tesla Roadside assistance number and see if they would bring out a loaner tire while it got corrected. Only reason I went with Discount Tire to begin with was that they are less than a mile from my home. I could have walked home if needed.

I'm toying with getting the Discount Tire Road Hazard warranty, but haven't made up my mind.

One of the first things I do when I buy a new car is go to Discount Tire and buy the road hazard warranty. Maybe I am just not lucky but I have always recovered the warranty cost plus more.

• Informative
Reactions: frankvb