Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure and suspension question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2015 model S. Have had it 4+ years and still love it but need some help from the community. I just had 2k in suspension work done on the car, full wheel alignment, rear links for camber and ride height to be in spec and a new tire from a blow out. (21 inch turbines)

Anyway here is my question, I noticed that tire pressure of 45 psi is normal for cold tires but when driving for a while at speed it can spike to 48 psi and vary by tire. That normal after all that work?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Reactions: bobby g
I drive a 2015 model S. Have had it 4+ years and still love it but need some help from the community. I just had 2k in suspension work done on the car, full wheel alignment, rear links for camber and ride height to be in spec and a new tire from a blow out. (21 inch turbines)

Anyway here is my question, I noticed that tire pressure of 45 psi is normal for cold tires but when driving for a while at speed it can spike to 48 psi and vary by tire. That normal after all that work?

Thanks in advance for feedback!
Tires heat up - which does increase the psi of the tire. Which explains why you see the note: "tire pressure when cold".

Tires will vary in pressure due to the difference in temperatures between each corner and any given time.
If you have just completed a fast, sweeping left bend for example your right side tyres will be higher in temperature and pressure than your left sides.
this is why you should set all four at a given pressure when cold wherever possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and X-pilot
Our car was in service recently and the tech jacked up the pressures to 45psi. That is so high and after a bit of driving temps push pressures up to 48psi. The tire limit is 50psi. I dropped the pressure back to 42psi and now it'll only hit 45psi hot.

If you are in a really hot climate, double check your warm tire pressures. You don't want to be over 50psi hot.

Refer to the tire pressure chart for the tire size. The tire hits it's rated load rating at 42psi.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brando
psi directly related to temperature - read your manual !! stop guessing - just a suggestion.
Don't want to read YOUR manual - go talk with a tire store shop.
ALL tires are properly measured when cold. ALL tires heat up and psi goes up - laws of physics.
ALL OEMs and tire makers of course know this and tires are designed to work.
NO ONE is adjusting their tire pressure hourly to compensate for temp.

Our car was in service recently and the tech jacked up the pressures to 45psi. That is so high and after a bit of driving temps push pressures up to 48psi. The tire limit is 50psi. I dropped the pressure back to 42psi and now it'll only hit 45psi hot.

If you are in a really hot climate, double check your warm tire pressures. You don't want to be over 50psi hot.

Refer to the tire pressure chart for the tire size. The tire hits it's rated load rating at 42psi.
If the tire rated max (sidewall) is 50psi, it's OK to run it 50psi cold. It's increase in pressure due to temperature is designed in. Old prius drivers often ran sidewall max for higher efficiency all the time. With that said, follow your cars door well sticker for proper inflation (cold) for your car (it should be lower than your sidewall max). It's pressure should and will increase as you drive it as the day heats up.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando

The limit is 50psi when cold, with room built in for heating up. You can put your pressures back up, if you want.