Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure - Can I just use a gas station to add air?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's probably not it, because my early VIN S60 19" came with Goodyear tires and has 42psi on the door label, but when I replaced them with Michelin last week the service receipt said "inflated to 42psi per door label", or something like that. They didn't change the inflation based on the tire.

Well, hrmmmmmmmm. Interesting! I wonder what the new S60 door info recommends...

I've got half and half now - they inflated one side to 45psi and the other to 42psi. Oy, vey.

Will inflate to 45psi per the door and see how it goes.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a good pressure gauge. You can get then at most auto stores or amazon (Amazon.com: JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge - 100 PSI: Automotive) . Don't need to spend more than $25.

Kind of a tread-jack, but why PSI up to 100 and not up to 60? What is the advantage of the gauge with the rubber tubing? I would think that might deteriorate over time? I get that brass is way better. I hate replacing things (too much pressure to decide on new ones)--I like just getting one and keeping it forever (or as long as possible).

The correct psi is 45 for the model s with 19s. I have had mine for four years, and the recommended pressure was increased to 45 sometime in 2013. Also, the recommended torque setting was also increased. I confirmed the settings with my service center and reconfirm about every year just in case the Rec settings have changed. Do the same - drop your local service center a quick email and they'll get back you quickly and you'll get the info from the source.

As for getting the tires serviced, they are just tires. Go anywhere. In fact, go somewhere besides the service centers - they are already way too busy. We need them to spend their time on stuff no one else can do.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
anyone overinflate their tires for longer range?

This is a common thing done by prius owners. I've been running 42/40 in my prius no problem for over 200,000 miles when the door sticker quotes 35/33. This gets me 3-4 extra mpg.

I realize can result in a different tire wear but I have yet to see any ill effects.

Does anyone know the complaint algorithm of the TPM system?
I have earlier generation TPMS, with no individual wheel readouts. Just a single warning pop-up if anything is wrong.

Is there an low limit and high limit per tire? (what are the limits)

Is there a maximum difference limit across the set of tires, even if each individual wheel is within limits? (what's the max spread)

Does anyone know the complaint algorithm of the TPM system?
I have earlier generation TPMS, with no individual wheel readouts. Just a single warning pop-up if anything is wrong.

Is there an low limit and high limit per tire? (what are the limits)

Is there a maximum difference limit across the set of tires, even if each individual wheel is within limits? (what's the max spread)
For my 19s on a refresh, I've received the TPS warning twice at 39 PSI (supposed to be 45). I guess that's about a 12% variance? This was for the specific tire in question.

Kind of a tread-jack, but why PSI up to 100 and not up to 60? What is the advantage of the gauge with the rubber tubing? I would think that might deteriorate over time? I get that brass is way better. I hate replacing things (too much pressure to decide on new ones)--I like just getting one and keeping it forever (or as long as possible).

You can probably find them with a lower upper range, but they are way more accurate than anything except in a science lab setting. Some bicycle tires can be inflated to 80 or more. That is why many support such a high upper limit. I've had the same one for over 10 years and left in the trunk of my cars IN SUMMER IN FLorida. No deterioration that I can visibly see. The bleed button is the best thing since sliced... you get it.....;)

Reactions: ishop4more
anyone overinflate their tires for longer range?

This is a common thing done by prius owners. I've been running 42/40 in my prius no problem for over 200,000 miles when the door sticker quotes 35/33. This gets me 3-4 extra mpg.

I realize can result in a different tire wear but I have yet to see any ill effects.

Obviously too much over the stated max pressure could result in tire failure if you hit something large causing a large over pressure event, or the sidewall was weak and burst or failed. I usually run a couple over myself and have for years. I too have not seen any issues. But, you know what the tire manufacturers would say...:eek: The diff between a totally COLD tire and one that is running at max temp could be quite different. More than 5 lbs I would think easily...

Well, hrmmmmmmmm. Interesting! I wonder what the new S60 door info recommends...

I've got half and half now - they inflated one side to 45psi and the other to 42psi. Oy, vey.

Will inflate to 45psi per the door and see how it goes.
Well it turns out that the service center inflated to 42psi by the door label without realizing the door labor was for a different tire. They said it's 42 psi for Goodyear 19" and 45 psi for Michelin 19". So they added more air to the new Michelins today. The door sticker won't change, however, so they added a note to my car's profile that I have upgraded tires which should be inflated to 45 psi. For anyone else who started with 19" Goodyear and upgraded to Michelin when they wore out, be sure to tell whoever is putting air in your tires that the door label is now incorrect, it should be 45 psi.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Well it turns out that the service center inflated to 42psi by the door label without realizing the door labor was for a different tire. They said it's 42 psi for Goodyear 19" and 45 psi for Michelin 19". So they added more air to the new Michelins today. The door sticker won't change, however, so they added a note to my car's profile that I have upgraded tires which should be inflated to 45 psi. For anyone else who started with 19" Goodyear and upgraded to Michelin when they wore out, be sure to tell whoever is putting air in your tires that the door label is now incorrect, it should be 45 psi.

Aha! Nicely done.

My car goes in this week for service and I'll be sure to confirm as I've got the converse now (45psi door label, 19" Goodyears).

Back to 42psi they go.

The correct psi is 45 for the model s with 19s. I have had mine for four years, and the recommended pressure was increased to 45 sometime in 2013. Also, the recommended torque setting was also increased.

AGREED...

To quote gaswalla, the correct pressures were changed for all tires in 2013 to 45 psi you could double check with your service center, but personally id go with 45 without even checking as I find the info the service center provides is hit and miss...

1. Check your tire pressure at least once a month. More often in fall.
2. Feel free to exceed the door recommendation. Don't exceed the sidewall max pressure. [The door doesn't know what tires you are running with, and car manufacturers general recommend conservative, soft ride values.]
3. The issue with air, is not the lack of pure nitrogen, but the presence of water vapor. If you can, use a compressor with a water trap. IF not fill on a cool dry day.
4. Nitrogen is fine, but not worth paying extra for. But don't use it as an excuse not to top off your pressure when you need; it would be detrimental then.
5. Higher pressure improves efficiency, all else being equal.

Thank you kindly.

• Love
Reactions: SureValla