Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
I could have sworn there was a topic about air pressure in tires recently but the search tool returns nothing but hot air about Tesla charging 35 dollars to check air pressure....

But I just went from 37 psi to 47 psi and it feels like I roll twice as far... was not expecting that big a difference... so if you are wondering about it, it makes a huge difference!

• Disagree
Reactions: vickh
The recommended cold pressure is 42psi on the door jams on my previous S and my current Model 3 and X. If you are at 47 cold be careful because the rated max pressure for most tires is 50psi and you can easily exceed the 50 psi when the tires are warm and have a higher risk of a blowout if you hit a pothole. I usually run 42-43 cold and and it usually comes up to 45-46 warm.

The recommended cold pressure is 42psi on the door jams on my previous S and my current Model 3 and X. If you are at 47 cold be careful because the rated max pressure for most tires is 50psi and you can easily exceed the 50 psi when the tires are warm and have a higher risk of a blowout if you hit a pothole. I usually run 42-43 cold and and it usually comes up to 45-46 warm.

Some model 3's show 45psi on the door jams. Also, isn't the max pressure that is on the sidewall the COLD max pressure?

Reactions: qdeathstar
I was saying that in response to:

So clearly it is not "obvious" to everyone.

I drove from the Canadian border all the way to Palm Springs and I had to let air out of my tires at almost every other Supercharger or else my tire pressure would have been more than 60psi when traveling down south.

On my way north, I had a hand bicycle pump and had to add few dozen pumps of air at every other supercharger to keep my pressure at 45 psi hot.

Rolling resistance was excellent and low when it was over 50 psi, but it was a bumpy ride hitting expansion joints and bumps. Yes, the tires do say cold pressures for measuring your pressure and it says it also on the doorjam.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I drove from the Canadian border all the way to Palm Springs and I had to let air out of my tires at almost every other Supercharger or else my tire pressure would have been more than 60psi when traveling down south.

On my way north, I had a hand bicycle pump and had to add few dozen pumps of air at every other supercharger to keep my pressure at 45 psi hot.

Rolling resistance was excellent and low when it was over 50 psi, but it was a bumpy ride hitting expansion joints and bumps. Yes, the tires do say cold pressures for measuring your pressure and it says it also on the doorjam.

As far as the U.S. federal mandate for the Max pressure, that is at 68 degrees F I believe. So yeah in that extreme of a temp change you would have to adjust pressures along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: qdeathstar
In regards to Tire Pressure, I'm trying to locate the screen that shows my PSI for each tire and I cannot find it at all. I checked the manual and on page 5 (item 3 "Cards") it says this is where you look. Well, I did that and I get nothing to show. The lower left panel gives me Trip stuff on one card, wiper stuff on the other and the third card has an overview silhouette of the car but no other information (numbers, etc.) around it.

In regards to Tire Pressure, I'm trying to locate the screen that shows my PSI for each tire and I cannot find it at all. I checked the manual and on page 5 (item 3 "Cards") it says this is where you look. Well, I did that and I get nothing to show. The lower left panel gives me Trip stuff on one card, wiper stuff on the other and the third card has an overview silhouette of the car but no other information (numbers, etc.) around it.

You can't check this while the car is parked. It takes a minute or so of driving for something to show there.

So, essentially, you’re checking your tire pressure when they’re hot? This doesn’t make any sense to me.

So, essentially, you’re checking your tire pressure when they’re hot? This doesn’t make any sense to me.

I kept them at 46-47 hot and when they cooled the pressure settled to 42-43. Tires don’t cool down that much at Superchargers when you are just plugging in for 30mins and going. I had pressures in the 50’s on the I5 and it was too bumpy of a ride. I noticed that psi would go up about 3-4 psi from cold to hot on the interstate and when it was over 50 psi, I’d let some air out to 47 hot, so when it cooled down it would settle to 42-43psi. Worked for my 4000 mile trip.