Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure high on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I state that the rolling resistence chanches with pressure.
But you realised that a day later, but then could not edit your post anymore.

Rolling circumference also changes with pressure, also for a radial tire.
The distance the tire makes a cicle is not 3.1415 times unloaded diameter, tiremakers keep it at an average of 3.07 times diameter, and agricultural tires with their lower pressure even 3.02x D.
I claim to know how to calculate it, and the whole length of treath is going over the ground. Then where is the missing 0.0715 x D piece of treath? To my conclusions the tiresegment moves backward when comming off the ground and yust before going on the ground.
Not much , about 0.07D /4 , this is roughly for a tire with unloaded diameter of 20 inch this is 0.07x20= 1.4 inch /4 = 0.35 inch.
So tiresegment moves back in relation to the ground 0.35 inch, then needs 0.35 goin forward to compensate that. Then before reaching the ground needs 0.35 inch going forward, and then goes 0.35 inch backward. If you would take a picture with long closing time of tire with a little light at a spot of treath, it would then give a spirograph kind of line.

If a stone is catched by the tire, it is slung backward and can hit the windsheeld of the car behind you, and make a star in it.

But in my calculation I dit not include that rolling circumference getting less at lower pressure, so the tire has to make more cycles a mile, so more heatproduction a mile, yust because the effect is marginal. Also not included resistence of the wheelbaring( if I use the right word) and loss by braking and getting up to speed.

So yust to give an idea howmuch effect the extreme high pressure gives to actiradius.

Last edited:
No I state that the rolling resistence chanches with pressure.
But you realised that a day later, but then could not edit your post anymore.

Rolling circumference also changes with pressure, also for a radial tire.
Right, rolling resistance changes with pressure. The main reason is that the belts and tread compounds bend more when the enter and exit the contact patch as the pressure lowers. (The flexing of the sidewall adds very little rolling resistance).

The revs per mile are mostly fixed by the belts. This was easier to see in the transitional days between bias-ply and radial tires, where pressure change could easily change the rolling circumference of a bias-ply tire by 1/3 or more, while the radial tire (assumes steel belted) stayed the same (within a non-material margin).