Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure issue - urgent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't really understand. I've carried a hand gauge and compressor pump in every car I've owned. Tire pressure goes up and down with temp (ambient & driving) and pressure (altitude). I routinely manually check the pressure before EVERY out of town trip and adjust it (UP and DOWN) depending on conditions. Why should a Tesla with pressure sensors be any different? Is this thing so advanced that it automatically fills or releases pressure in real-time?;) FYI, I picked up a slow leak in one of the tires on a 1000 mi trip last Spring, noticed it, and kept driving without problems. However, I did increase my checking and adjustments to every other day. This is just a prudent habit that I learned from family members (along with carrying water, food, extra clothes, blankets, tools, work gloves, cardboard, tarp, flares, tire chains, etc.). All this comes from the days before cellphones, rest areas, and long distances between towns. Even good habits are sometimes hard to change.:D

I guess I don't really understand. I've carried a hand gauge and compressor pump in every car I've owned. Tire pressure goes up and down with temp (ambient & driving) and pressure (altitude). I routinely manually check the pressure before EVERY out of town trip and adjust it (UP and DOWN) depending on conditions. Why should a Tesla with pressure sensors be any different? Is this thing so advanced that it automatically fills or releases pressure in real-time?;) FYI, I picked up a slow leak in one of the tires on a 1000 mi trip last Spring, noticed it, and kept driving without problems. However, I did increase my checking and adjustments to every other day. This is just a prudent habit that I learned from family members (along with carrying water, food, extra clothes, blankets, tools, work gloves, cardboard, tarp, flares, tire chains, etc.). All this comes from the days before cellphones, rest areas, and long distances between towns. Even good habits are sometimes hard to change.:D
This sounds to me like a bug with certain versions of the TPMS sensors for 21" tires only.

Although some OP opinions differ on the this and claim it to be scam since Oxygen is 78% Nitrogen. I recommend using Nitrogen in the tires. It has been my experience pure Nitrogen helps with the long term tire pressure changes due to temperature change swings. I've had it with and without several vehicles over the years. The vehicles without Nitrogen always deflated with the temperature which required filling 1-2 times a years....it always seems happen at an inconvenient time when you get the low tire warning light. Whereas the Nitogen filled tires went a couple of years before needing to be topped off. If not dealer installed, I use Nitrofill since I have several locations near my home address which runs me $35/ for 4 tires plus the spare if equipped and they always offer free top-off refills. I've provided a link to the company below. NitroFill Nitrogen Tire Inflation.

I strongly suggest you use hand gauge and check when they are cold. They should be at prescribed pressure COLD. The fact that they reach pressure when hot (after driving) means you are running under-inflated.

30 degree overnight drops can easily cause significant tire pressure drops. In Chicago, just about all of my tires need air the first time we get cold temps.
We used to live in Naperville. I used t have the trouble all the time in winter with Mecedes, Porsche (both with performance tires) and Lexus and Land Rover. Finally someone suggested using nitrogen instead of air and the problem went away for good.

Has anyone tried the in warm weather?

We used to live in Naperville. I used t have the trouble all the time in winter with Mecedes, Porsche (both with performance tires) and Lexus and Land Rover. Finally someone suggested using nitrogen instead of air and the problem went away for good.

Has anyone tried the in warm weather?
I live in Florida and do not experience any issues with the warmer weather with Nitrogen in my tires. Even when I go to Big Sky, MT I do not experience any swings with tire pressure.