Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure mistake at Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my S75D in for first annual service to Santa Clara service center. They kept it overnight and gave me a 100D loaner. Very nice. When I picked my car the next day all seemed well. I put an address in the GPS and drove the 50 miles to my destination. The wife said the car seemed to be riding kind of rough. I told she was comparing it to the loaner which had air suspension. When we left our destination to go home I did not need GPS so now the tire pressures were in view on the dash. Tires readings showed 58 to 61 PSI. I thought maybe a metric setting or something. I pulled of the freeway and checked with my very accurate gauge. It agreed. I called the service center and they said bring it in and they will correct it. I just told them I could simply set the proper pressure myself. My question are my tires damaged from this high pressure? I have called a couple tire shops but no one seems to know. Anyone here know this stuff? I am kind of a nut about tire pressure. Even added sensors to the 6 tires on our motor home. I had a blowout on a mountain road in 1984 that totaled my car and put me in the hospital. I have owned 20 cars and have never seen a shop fail to put in correct pressure. I am considering replacing the tires. Could use some advice.

Don't waste your money replacing the tires.
While a 25% over-pressure is significant, it wasn't long enough to do any damage.
A 45 psi tire should be able to handle that much pressure indefinitely anyway, though the center of the tread would wear out faster than it would on a properly inflated tire.
Any road debris damage might be more extensive than on a properly inflated tire because the overinflation makes the tire harder, but you didn't say you hit anything.

your tires are fine.

I'd write up an e-mail complaint, however, for the bad service. Likely, the rep just cranked up the air pressure by feel, and was too lazy/rushed to use a gauge. Or, perhaps the gauge he was using was bad? Regardless, if I was the SC manager, I'd want to know.

your tires are fine.

I'd write up an e-mail complaint, however, for the bad service. Likely, the rep just cranked up the air pressure by feel, and was too lazy/rushed to use a gauge. Or, perhaps the gauge he was using was bad? Regardless, if I was the SC manager, I'd want to know.
Thanks folks.. damn, I love this forum. I will send comments to service center. They were so nice and the loaner car was cool.

Fix it yourself, but don't overdo it. PSI settings are "cold" meaning if you drove 50 miles and then saw high PSI that isn't the PSI you compare against the door jamb label. If you let air out of the tires while they are warm it will be uneven and you'll end up with tire pressure too low when the car is cold.

Let the car sit overnight (or at least several hours), not in the sun (garage would be good), then let the air down to the desired pressure.

To be really good about it set the pressure at the lowest temp you expect to experience or adjust for temp (10F is about 1 psi). So for example if it is 40F outside and your garage is 70F you need to set the tires 3 PSI higher than the label to offset for temperature.

Also consider anywhere between doorjamb label and sidewall max is a safe range. Some tires have a 51 PSI sidewall, some have a 44, rarely you'll see something other than those two.

As to high PSI damaging tires there are hypermilers that run 70 psi all the time. Your foray into the high 50s isn't a big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and mongo
Fix it yourself, but don't overdo it. PSI settings are "cold" meaning if you drove 50 miles and then saw high PSI that isn't the PSI you compare against the door jamb label. If you let air out of the tires while they are warm it will be uneven and you'll end up with tire pressure too low when the car is cold.

Let the car sit overnight (or at least several hours), not in the sun (garage would be good), then let the air down to the desired pressure.

To be really good about it set the pressure at the lowest temp you expect to experience or adjust for temp (10F is about 1 psi). So for example if it is 40F outside and your garage is 70F you need to set the tires 3 PSI higher than the label to offset for temperature.

Also consider anywhere between doorjamb label and sidewall max is a safe range. Some tires have a 51 PSI sidewall, some have a 44, rarely you'll see something other than those two.

As to high PSI damaging tires there are hypermilers that run 70 psi all the time. Your foray into the high 50s isn't a big deal.
Yes I let it down to 50

50 at what temperature, in what environment (sun vs shade, indoors vs outdoors) after letting it sit how long in that location?

See my prior post if it seems odd that I'm asking.
Ok, here is what I did. I just lowered all to 50 after calling service center. Temp here in San Jose was 72 F. Then I set them to 45 next morning temp 60 F in my garage. As I said earlier, I am sort of a nut about tire pressures because of a blowout back in 1984 that totaled my car and put me in hospital. I replace my tires so often that friends often get my old ones when they are taken off at the dealer.i do appreciate all the responses here.