TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire pressure monitor

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Science fan, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Science fan

Science fan Member

When I took my test drive, the car had a screen display of the pressures in each of the four tires. I cannot find a way to do that in my week old S70. Is that capability built into our cars? Was it taken out? Did I need to have ordered a premium package?

2. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

#2 DÆrik, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    I believe all cars have the TPMS in place. I press/hold (for a few seconds) the left scroll wheel and then scroll to the tire icon (car status). Once on that screen you will see an above view of the car with a psi at each tire. You need to drive a little before it will read the psi though.

*Edit. You can do the following with the left OR right scroll wheel.

Press and hold the left scroll wheel for a few second and you will see this screen:
    20160705_124515.jpg

Scroll down to the tire (Car Status) and click/press scroll wheel to select it:
    20160705_124519.jpg

This is what it will show. My car has been in park so it isn't showing a psi. But after driving for a few minutes it will show the current psi.
    20160705_124542.jpg

Thanks Erik

• Informative x 2
  3. Science fan

Science fan Member

#3 Science fan, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Erik, thank you VERY much for taking the time to send me your informative post. The display was on my car just as you said it would be. For me, this is an important feature; really beats doing it manually every week or so, which bleeds some air from each of the tires and thus creates a problem all by itself.

4. Elbie

Elbie Member

Nice feature.
    I have some great experience with TPMS.
    Some years ago I was driving my Peugeot 607 with TPMS in Romania, trying to overtake a slow truck on a mountain road. While doing so, I made a small mistake, causing something on the side of the road to damage one of my tires.
    Immediately the display showed a "tire puncture" warning message. I pulled over and managed to stop safely before noticing anything on the handling of the car.
    When I stepped out, there was a rip in the wall of the left front tire and it was completely flat.
    Without the TPMS it would have taken longer for me to notice the flat tire and things might have gone quite bad.