Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure monitoring system fault after stereo system upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my stereo system upgraded new speakers and amp and one sub. Ever since then I've been getting the tire pressure monitoring system fault error. Has anybody had this occur after making changes to the stereo system? This wasn't a run of the mill company like audio Express this was a high-end stereo shop. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I am guessing there's some interference.

What age is your car? While it may be related, it could be just a coincidence and the batteries in the tire sensors are getting weak or have failed (they are good for 5 years or so). If you turn off your new system, does the TPMS system start working? Was anything done to the tires at the same time (i.e. new rims or tires)? Perhaps the sensors were damaged if so.

Reactions: ucmndd
What age is your car? While it may be related, it could be just a coincidence and the batteries in the tire sensors are getting weak or have failed (they are good for 5 years or so). If you turn off your new system, does the TPMS system start working? Was anything done to the tires at the same time (i.e. new rims or tires)? Perhaps the sensors were damaged if so.
I have 2017. And that's what I thought also so that is where I started. Tesla checked them several times now and did replace 1 but I am still having issues.

For the USA, TPMS uses 315 MHz (433 MHz in Europe). It would seem the amp is producing an interference signal or blocking the TPMS signals. Interference could be from the wiring (more likely) or radiating from the amp (less likely) which is interfering with the TPMS. Clearly, this should not be happening, but I don't have any good suggestions on how to fix it. You could add high-frequency filters on the various lines, but that's a crapshoot. Ideally, with a scope, you might be able to isolate which line (if that is the source) is causing the problem.