Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this error? It popped up today on the highway out of the blue and has not gone away after 3 subsequent drives. I have not changed any tires or wheels with only 1,400 miles and have been monitoring the pressure which has always been normal. I looked up the reset instruction and it said only to do that in case of changes in wheel or tire size.
IMG_2851.jpg

This just happened to me on my 3 on Friday night. I did change wheels for the winter right before. I was able to fix it by deflating my tires 10 psi and then immediately refilling to spec. Error cleared about 5 min after that. Thanks to Roborat for that one.

I have this UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive
Appeared after I put on new winter tires and tpms - tire pressure on screen card was not displaying
It took 3 weeks to get a service centre appointment.
tech reprogrammed the tpms so they are showing tire pressure and told me error message would reset overnight.
Now car picks up TPMS tire pressures fine BUT the error message will not go away.
I have ebay 433 tpms which should work on my 2019 M3 AWD or are they not universal? Car picks them up AND gives error message.
Called Tesla to ask for a remote reset.
Now I have another 3 week wait for the service centre.
Anyone had this problem? Any tips for reseting the error message? Tried 2 button reset of car, power down on screen, hibernate overnight.
Otherwise I am hoping the xmas holiday software update may fix it.

I have this UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive
Appeared after I put on new winter tires and tpms - tire pressure on screen card was not displaying
It took 3 weeks to get a service centre appointment.
tech reprogrammed the tpms so they are showing tire pressure and told me error message would reset overnight.
Now car picks up TPMS tire pressures fine BUT the error message will not go away.
I have ebay 433 tpms which should work on my 2019 M3 AWD or are they not universal? Car picks them up AND gives error message.
Called Tesla to ask for a remote reset.
Now I have another 3 week wait for the service centre.
Anyone had this problem? Any tips for reseting the error message? Tried 2 button reset of car, power down on screen, hibernate overnight.
Otherwise I am hoping the xmas holiday software update may fix it.
To clarify, you have EBay TPMS sensors you Think might be correct but your waiting on a software help from Tesla to fix it?

"UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive"

I usually can find a fix things by google search or RTFM but here I am stuck. Anyone have a simple fix?
1. Bought a used second set of Tesla OEM 19" sport wheels, ebay 433 MHz TPMS and winter tires for my 2019 Model 3 AWD (under warranty) hoping the system would pick up new sensors as I drive.
I get "UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive" every time and no pressure; says "--".
Tried on screen reset, on screen reboot, two button car reset, on screen power down, on screen different wheel select and back again
to try and get the car to recognize my TPMS sensors. No luck. The ebay seller assured me they were pre-programmed for the Tesla.
2. My local tire store could read the TPMS with a hand-held TPMS reader but not link them to my car.
3. Discount Tire in Salt lake could read the TPMS but not link them to the car.
4. Google search tells me there is a non standard OBD2 port in the Tesla M3 that needs an Tesla adapter in order to program the TPMS to the Tesla Model 3.
5. I made a Tesla Service center appointment (3 week wait). Tech programmed the TPMS so now I get tire pressure numbers OK on screen which
cost $115.57 for diagnostics and "TPMS (Sensor ID Learn). In the past on other cars Discount Tire did the TPMS relearn for me for free.
6. Tech put on invoice error would disappear after car sleeps (hibernation).
He wrote:
"Verified Customer Concern. Found all sensor not learned to vehicle.
Reprogrammed TPMS Sensors and Verified Proper Operation. Alert will clear after vehicle goes to sleep.
mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: UI_a017
symptomLabel: Tire pressure monitoring system fault/Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive
activityType: RECENT_ALERT
timestamp: 2021-11-23T09:08:38.307"
Still have error message. Got new UI version a few days later. Still get error message, but I do pick up Tire pressures OK now. Tried all resets, hibernation, on screen power down and reboot of car.
7. Last few weeks, have TPMS tire pressures displaying, AND UI_a017 error message every time. Called Tesla to ask them to remotely
reset the error message, as the TPMS are working fine now, but the error message will not clear. They said to make another SC appointment.
I now have new software version 2021.44.25.6
8. Made another SC appointment (4 week wait!). The TPMS readout on screen works fine now, just can't clear error message.
I am worried the tech will simply say I have non-OEM TPMS and sell me the expensive Tesla branded Conti sensors and charge for the swop. Even though the ebay ones work fine now and 433 MHz TPMS should be universal (all made in China). I JUST WANT THE ERROR MESSAGE TO GO AWAY!
I would go into the code and put "IF TPMS shows value THEN Reset Error Message" if I could get into the code!
9. How can the car pick up the correct TPMS pressures and also say there is a TPMS fault. I say a software error (thus covered under warranty?).
10. Hoping someone has had the same problem and found a way to make the error message go away before the Service Centre appointment...

To clarify, you have EBay TPMS sensors you Think might be correct but your waiting on a software help from Tesla to fix it?
To Clarify I have working TPMS sensors but cannot clear the "system fault" error. Tesla did not try to fix it on the phone, told me to bring it in (4 week wait in Utah!) I was hoping someone had the same problem and have a way to fix it. Perhaps I am the first.

To Clarify I have working TPMS sensors but cannot clear the "system fault" error. Tesla did not try to fix it on the phone, told me to bring it in (4 week wait in Utah!) I was hoping someone had the same problem and have a way to fix it. Perhaps I am the first.
When you can, adjust the cold tire pressure. Try lowering the tire pressure on one of the tires (especially if that sensor is currently not providing a reading) by ~5 PSI, then add air to the tire using a tire pump or when at a service station air service island.

I've had this issue. All manner of internet tricks, reset, drive for 15mins, etc etc did nothing. Scheduling a service fixed it. I forget what they did, but iirc service replaced a sensor.

I've had this issue. All manner of internet tricks, reset, drive for 15mins, etc etc did nothing. Scheduling a service fixed it. I forget what they did, but iirc service replaced a sensor.
Thanks, It will be easy for the tech to throw out all my working sensors and replace them at $75 each plus labour, even though they are working and I just want the error message reset. The details of what the tech did should be in the app (history of invoices) if you have time to look, Thanks!

Do you have a powered USB device such as a 3rd party USB hub in your Model Y? The Tesla Model Y Owner's manual states that powered USB devices can interfere with the TPMS.
Interesting that is in the Model Y owner's manual, perhaps that is for the bluetooth TPMS sensor in the Model Y, but I only have the Tesla USB for sentry mode in my 2019 Tesla Model 3 and the sensors are 433 MHz radio signal, not the newer bluetooth. Also I have no 3rd party monitoring software.

It won't cost you a thing under warranty.
ha ha we will see if they charge me for extra parts and labour as my TPMS are not OEM.

I may put this in my Tesla messages to the service centre:

"I paid Tesla tech to have my TPMS sensors relearn the vehicle 7 weeks ago and they now work fine. But the “UI_017 system fault” alert remains on screen. This maybe a software logic error to be fixed in a future OTA software update?

Simply replacing the currently working TPMS sensors with new ones may clear the software error message. The underlying software may need to be fixed. Replacing the working TPMS sensors with other working TPMS sensors in order to clear an inaccurate software generated “system fault” screen alert should be covered under warranty."

Same issue for me after MCU2 upgrade, snow tire/wheel swap with aftermarket TPMS that worked fine for the last 5 winters on my MCU1. I’ve tried 2-button reset, reset Wheel Configuration, reset TPMS from Servuce screen, sleep overnight. Has OP tried a System Reset or applied the 2021.44.30.6 update (might be an MS/MX only deployment?)? I’m loathe to reset & need to re-enter settings, media login credentials etc., but an update and Factory Reset seem to be my last intervention options before heading back to the SC.

Btw, Im also in Utah…SLC.

Same issue for me after MCU2 upgrade, snow tire/wheel swap with aftermarket TPMS that worked fine for the last 5 winters on my MCU1. I’ve tried 2-button reset, reset Wheel Configuration, reset TPMS from Servuce screen, sleep overnight. Has OP tried a System Reset or applied the 2021.44.30.6 update (might be an MS/MX only deployment?)? I’m loathe to reset & need to re-enter settings, media login credentials etc., but an update and Factory Reset seem to be my last intervention options before heading back to the SC.

Btw, Im also in Utah…SLC.
TPMS error cleared for me after applying the 2021.44.30.6 update (though could be coincidental)

I have a 1/6/2013 S.. made with 2012 parts. My TPMS worked fine till I bought infotainment upgrade, then never worked, shut car off 300 miles from home in the middle of the night. SC said I needed new sensors. 1034260-00-c. I bought them. Still have errors?
BINGO. Found out SB to RETROFIT to Continental was never done. I printed out the 15 pages. Started removing rear seat, bolster, trims. NO. Continental TPMS Module Controller. No retrofit wiring ZERO.
So. The new MCU and SW is looking for Continental TPMS module controller. It's not there.
Morale of the story, my SC is so lost and no one knows there are 3 SB on this problem.
Monday I will chase the rabbit again.